Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adventure mode surgery.  (Read 1290 times)

Urist McMoron

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Adventure mode surgery.
« on: October 20, 2012, 05:30:04 am »

One thing that I'm noticing often whenever I play Adventure mode is that I can't keep my organs intact for an extended period of time, maybe I'm just bad at not getting maimed horribly, but it's always been a bit of an annoying problem. Would it be hard to populate the world with doctor NPC's that can get you back in working condition?

I also thought it would be cool for those who want to play as more of the field medic type to allow you to perform surgery on your companions. You would have to find a table to place them on, a way to dull the pain or knock them out entirely, and you would have to carry around clean surgical tools. If you can't find any clean weapons to perform the surgery, which you normally wont unless you steal from doctors, you can use a campfire or some soap to clean them. Cleaned weapons will have a different name on them, and will be clean for a few days inside of a regular pouch until they must be sanitized again. If you store them inside of a medical pouch they will stay clean indefinitely, so long as you don't drop the pouch or get it coated in anything. The operating menu would be like the wrestling menu, except it would only give you options based on the wounds your patient has sustained. You would first select the wound to operate on, then you would be given a list of option depending on the items (and training) you have. For example; if you have something that you can light on fire you can use it to cauterize a wound if the context of the wound allows it, if you have needle and thread you could sew up the wound, and if you don't have anything at all you could make a move to stop the bleeding on your own. Sometimes surgeries won't go according to plan, sometimes you might botch a surgery. While screwing up a surgery is still better than not doing the surgery at all, it could lead to some unintended fun later on. The higher your medical skill the more options are given to you, the less time it will take for the patient to heal back to normal, and the lower the chance of you accidentally mutilating something important.

I don't know why, but I can picture a situation where this might really come in handy. You and your companion are on the run from a couple of pissed off towns people. You both sprint towards a clearing where an abandon house lies to hide inside, things are going well, up until a stray bolt rips through your companion's leg. You stop, duck, and drag their body inside the house. He's bleeding badly, and if you don't find something in the house to get that arrow safely out soon you know you'll be fending for yourself against the bogeymen tonight. You drag your partner-in-crime up unto a table, and set about looking for some supplies. There are some things in here, but they all look like they'll give your patient horrible diseases if they go anywhere near a wound. You light a fire inside of the fireplace, and sanitize the things you need with the warmth. The man on the table is swearing profusely, now. You give him some booze to dull the pain, and set about getting that arrow out of his leg. You're not a very experiences surgeon, but despite all of the blood the leg looks somewhat okay now.

Over at the next town there's a doctor who can probably do a much better job than you can for that leg, but you decide against it since you're strapped for coin and you're sure he can eventually walk it off.

A few days later while running from yet another mob of pissed off villagers your companion's scars pop open as he falls flat on his face. You go back to get him as a lucky arrow is let loose and ends up flying straight into your forehead.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 03:29:39 pm by Urist McMoron »

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure mode surgery.
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 05:59:09 am »

Suggested this before and i would fucking love it.

Inb4 squeamish pussies overrun this thread saying its bad for their anime rp immershun
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 12:15:26 pm »

inb4 opinions get insulted

oh wait
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Urist McMoron

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 03:36:51 pm »

Inb4 squeamish pussies overrun this thread saying its bad for their anime rp immershun

Wait, how can you be squeamish and ever play this game? You can gouge people's eyes out with your thumbs, tear out their tongue with a dull knife, and slowly remove entire sections of their bodies.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2012, 03:58:16 pm »

Wait, how can you be squeamish and ever play this game? You can gouge people's eyes out with your thumbs, tear out their tongue with a dull knife, and slowly remove entire sections of their bodies.

How can you be squeamish and ever live? You can do all that and worse IRL.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 02:50:34 pm »

I thought this was already going to be implemented in time.

This heal-up-instantly-as-you-travel system is like a placeholder for me.

Radiant_Phoenix

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE_CLASS:MODDER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 09:50:52 am »

I would like to be able to have some sort of RAW configurable setting that makes a creature so that it *does* 'just walk off' everything.

Possibly with settings -- [REGENERATE:level], where level = NEVER, ALWAYS, or a number, and then have a settings option that determines what REGENERATE numbers are, "enabled," whether as a list or just as an, "n and {higher/lower}"

(Should probably be able to be defined on creature, tissue, and body-part levels)

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 01:51:53 pm »

Maybe something like [HEALING_RATE:number] as found in tissue_template_default.txt .
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 01:54:34 pm »

POWDER style cae trolls :D Lizards and lizardmen regenerating their limbs and tails :D :D :D

FUCKING ZOMBIES BITING OFF THEIR OWN ARMS AND THROWING THEM FOR THE ARMS TO GROW INTO NEW ZOMBIES HOLY SHITFUCKERS
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 02:13:48 am »

FUCKING ZOMBIES BITING OFF THEIR OWN ARMS AND THROWING THEM FOR THE ARMS TO GROW INTO NEW ZOMBIES HOLY SHITFUCKERS

That seems like it'd require astronomical tissue growth rates.

Anyway, yeah, this is needed, but I think it might be planned already. I'd be surprised if it wasn't.