Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Gears of war in Dwarf fortress  (Read 4340 times)

stormcry0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Gears of war in Dwarf fortress
« on: October 19, 2012, 09:48:21 pm »

Hello, I've been playing dwarf fortress for some time now and I love it, in fact I encourage all my friends to play it but with little succes actually u_u ... I'm right now just playing with the basics (not too far undergrounds, not complex engineering) But I love the vanilla and a couple of mods (warhammer F and fallout mods) OK, end of presentation, now to the point:

I'm wondering if a mod of Gears of war have been implemented yet to play it in dwarf fortress (DF mode or ADV mode, even both!) Because in my search i found only a sprite request for a locust drone sprite but not a single mod or proposition.

So, what do you great modder think of making a gears of war mod for DF? I'm so excited about the idea that I started today to learn the basic of modding just in case nobody thinks like me and start making one.

::: A very basic proposition ::: (For anyone that want to embark on this journy)

: 4 main civilizations :

-COG remnants (based in humans: love plains, rivers, big fortresses surrounded by smaller outposts. Only Human technology)

-Stranded (based in elves: Love deserts, ruins, very reclusive, middle sized settlements away from everything. Very limited tech but can "scavenge"(research, just like post-apocalypse mod research works) COG and locust techs)

-Savage locust[Myrrah's guard are too few to make a decent fortress, lore wise IMO] (based on our lovely dwarves: Love undergrounds, mountains, hills, deserts(underground/caves), very agressive (ethics?) Start with locust tech but can "scavenge" old human tech (Like retrolancers)
-Lambent (option 1: Based in goblins therefore cannot be playable. Option 2: Similar to "skaven" civs in the warhammer fortress mod and is playable: Unic techs a lot of organic "workshops" that transform materials not in tools/weapons but "ready to attach" mutations to the usable lambents. <<- This sounds very interesthing but also tricky thats why I think lambent can be only for sieges just like vanilla goblins.
___
: weapons :
Since DF is more centered in melee than range the use of melee weapons are more common than in the original games, and from a lore point of view that actually works, because in the apocalyptic world they live wasting ammo is not wise, melee can be the only way to fight to survive.
For weapons go to: http://gearsofwar.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Weapons

add: combat knife, axe, spear (skorge had a chainsaw spear o.o), maul and thrown knifes.

: monsters/creatures/ huntable :
This works the same but with less options, in gears the animals are splitted in 2 lines, the surface animals and "the hollow" animals AKA underground animals.
For animals references go to: http://gearsofwar.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Surface_Animals  and http://gearsofwar.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Hollow_Creatures
Speacial beast: in the hollow creatures are many good creatures that can replace werewolves, vampires, etc (brumak! run!... Lambent berserker! run!)

: others (plants/metals) :
Many items remain the same but should get new names matching the interesting russian/brittish/spanish mix the serans speaks.
::: --- :::

Well, I know I miss many things but this is an open idea and I'm eager to know what do you think :D

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gears of war in Dwarf fortress
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 06:29:00 pm »

This is a great idea to try and mod. Somethings may not be possible or at the very least difficult. However might I suggest trying to produce it your self and requesting modding partners or assistance with your mod. The reason being is that a lot of people who mod are attached to making one mod or another right now. If you begin to work on it I could pitch in with the gears, as they seem to be the closest to my area of skills and interest (woot industry).
Anyways just some thoughts
Regards
Stronghammer

Indigo_Surprise

• Bay Watcher
  • Scruffy Gentleman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 09:04:24 pm »

The way I would go about doing it, is instead of going for the Gears 3 approach is doing it earlier on in the war with the Locust as their former selves as in not scavenging around trying to survive like the Stranded. You divide them into several casts, the drones, kantus, boomers, guards, beserkers, generals, and then a queen.

The drones will be the most populous, followed by boomers, then guard, then kantus, beserker, generals, and queen. The beserkers and the queen will be the only females. You make the boomers larger and tougher with a natural skill in butchery since they're the ones that prepare the rockworms. The guard you'll want to give them natural skills in all the combat skills. The kantus will have natural skills in the medicine skills and a natural ranged attack that causes a damaging syndrome (I'm thinking ink grenades here). The beserkers... whoa boy. You'll want to make them legendary in striking and kicking and make them tougher than adamantine. Now for the generals, we've only seen two of them and their rarity should also compensate, in addition to making them legendary in all combat stats. Then you have the queen who will always be the leader of your civilization. I'm not sure how to do that, but the guy who made the My Little Fortress Losing is Magic mod did it, and I saw an antmen mod that did the same thing with the queen ants.

You'll want a real high birthrate to compensate for the amount of females. Also want to make them use subterranean crops and creatures. You'd want to make another file that contains the creature raws for rockworms to have them be domestic, tough as absolute nails, and grazers. You'll also want to make the rest of the locust creatures tamable and trainable for war. Be sure to include the [MOUNT] tag for brumaks and bloodmounts so Locust siegers will ride them into battle.

Hopefully all of this should translate into the Locust overrunning the humans in world gen... which is EXACTLY what you want to happen.

I know what all to do and I'd make the mod myself if I could. Problem is I don't have enough modding experience.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 09:23:09 am by Indigo_Surprise »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 09:16:42 pm »

Idea: Call it Gears of (d)War(f), or Gears of Dwarf Fortress.

...Yeah, never played the game.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Indigo_Surprise

• Bay Watcher
  • Scruffy Gentleman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 10:13:40 pm »

I like Gears of Fortresses or Fortresses of War.

Jordrake

• Bay Watcher
  • Swabbie-Poet of the Good Ship Urist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 06:57:11 pm »

Granite Mechanism of War.

It menaces with spikes of misplaced testosterone.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2012, 07:33:06 pm »

DOM!!!

DVNO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2012, 09:15:45 pm »

If you are serious about making this, here's my advice:

1) Create a fully defined Black and white devlist of what you will be adding, removing and modifying.

Like this:

+ Creature_Seran
+ Creature_Drone
   +Caste: Sniper_Drone
   +Caste Lambent_Drone
+ Creature_Boomer
+ Creature_Ticker
- Creature_Dwarf
- Creature_Elf
- Creature_Human

+ Entity_Stranded(Trading partners)
+ Entity_COG(Playable race)
+ Entity_Locust(Gobbos)

+ Hammerburst Assault Rifle
+ Snub Pistol
+ Boltok Pistol
+ Mk 2 Lancer Assault Rifle
+ Hammerburst II
+ Longshot Sniper Rifle
+ Mortar
+ Gnasher Shotgun

+ Weapons Forge

You have already defined a general outline, which is a good start. It's good to have long term goals. What I jotted down above, which will be just about enough to make a satisfying V0.1, will take a good week.

2) Takes concepts from the modding wiki and play with them.

know how to make a material file from scratch.

know how to make a reaction from scratch.

If you jump into modding your GOW mod cold you will be dissatisfied with your end product. Build smaller and experiment. I think your ticker would benefit if you dissected the creeper mod and learn from it. Not copy and paste, learn.

3) wait for the Next version of DF

This one will be the hardest, I but I urge you to wait for the next version of DF to start modding. Your mod's main focus is gunplay, and there is only so much you can do with a modded crossbow in 34.11. If you Mod this version and all the weapons will act the same. The next version's rewrite of combat timing will make your guns really Distinguishable.

For example:

v 34.11

Your Longshot and your Snub pistol will have the exact same rate of fire.

Next Version:

You could make A Longshot fire a really powerful round and pause for a few seconds. Your snub gun can fire a few rounds in quick succession.

A big difference.

Also, The locust will take big advantages with the new climbing mechanics and dark fortress re haul.

So, recap, learn the basics to mod (not that hard), learn to mod well enough to make a basic V 0.1 (semi-hard), Wait for the release and write your mod from scratch using no copy pasting (hard)

Also, no. we are not going to make your mod for you.

DF modding is like Warhammer 40K; The fun is in the stylizing and painting. No one want's to work weeks to make your vision, and you wouldn't be satisfied with the end result anyway.

Might sound harsh but that's just creating things in general.

Ten percent luck, twenty percent skill
Fifteen percent concentrated power of will
Five percent pleasure, fifty percent pain
And a hundred percent reason to remember the name.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 09:28:55 pm by DVNO »
Al mondo mal non e senza rimedio

Reach me via Bitmessage ~ BM-2DC7sWixk2iSKThdX9thhyrxWBeWRXUEv9

Indigo_Surprise

• Bay Watcher
  • Scruffy Gentleman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2012, 12:42:22 pm »

I've already started work on it. Is it possible to combine several creatures in an entity file? Also, I've got an idea for the lancers. Is it possible to make a melee attack three times like a serrated disc?

Jordrake

• Bay Watcher
  • Swabbie-Poet of the Good Ship Urist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2012, 05:16:09 pm »

If you put multiple creatures in an entity, any given civilisation made from it will consist of a single creature type from the list. If you want a multi-creature civ, you need them all to be different castes of the same creature.

Indigo_Surprise

• Bay Watcher
  • Scruffy Gentleman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2012, 06:34:11 pm »

That was the original plan, then the guy above me started referencing to making other creature files for the same species.

stormcry0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2012, 06:32:49 pm »

Hi, just to let you know that I'm still here and I'm working to get this mod up. Thank you so much for your support since I'm new to the game style of DF (I'm mean, this is epic in every direction) And thank you so much DVNO for all the info.

So, right now I've been playing the mod of underhive settlement to get an idea of what take to make a "limited high-tec mod" Just as the Sera world is.

Right now I'm working in deleting everything that is not necessary in the mod (like loads of animals, minerals etc) And I'm working in the stranded civilization since I like more the "devastated world survivors" than the "we are gears, we save the world" point of view, therefore I'm wondering:

Is okey to work with the original races data (elven in the case of the stranded) Or I just make a completely new race in the entity file?

PD: I don't know if this is possible or stupid but, what about not making a specific merchant race, but all races playable and you can trade with specific races? (I saw that in the warhammer mod, being a chaos I traded with a darkelf but the Delfs are also playable)

PD2: As DVO suggested I will learn as much as I can and wait for the great overhaul in the DF update.

Indigo_Surprise

• Bay Watcher
  • Scruffy Gentleman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2013, 05:50:40 pm »

I'd use humans as a template. For the COG, you add in another male caste that's huge. For the stranded you take that out.

stormcry0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2013, 04:11:25 pm »

(BUMP my post to see if I get more ideas)

I have a question about how you worked the combat classes, I'm currently working in the barebones of my own mod about gears of war in DF but since gears is 80% shooting and only 20% melee I'm wondering many things, so, here we go:

How do you managed to make many shooting classes? I mean, is there a way to make the "flayer" not be a flail user but a pistol that in the raws replace the flail? Or a "bowyer" working as a "soldier class" or a "grenader" Will be always able to use a retro lancer and a hammerburst? I believe not because the groups will get confused about what ammo they are using

My second question is about graphics, right now I'm just using Phoebus but if someone can explain to me how the "graphics_*creaturenamehere*" archives works I'll be very grateful, is just I don't get how the numbers connect to the graphic, I believe the first means horizontal from left to right and the second vertical from top to down, but again, I'm a noob with modding

An example of what I mean using the scavvies graphics assignment raw from the awesome
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=120494.0

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2013, 05:10:31 pm »

When you create a weapon it has a tag called "Ranged" that defines what skill the dwarf (etc.) uses to shoot it, and what type of ammo it needs.

[RANGED:CROSSBOW:BOLT]

You can't type arbitrary skill names, because they are hard coded, but When you define your creature, you can rename the *appearance* of the guys who have the crossbow profession skill to whatever you like.

[PROFESSION_NAME:CROSSBOWMAN:gunner:gunners]

You can repeat this for other weapon skills, so if you want to overwrite "Axeman" with "pistoleer" or "rifleman" or whatever, this is possible.  I don't know GoW so when you're like "hammerburst" I have no idea what kind of weapon that is :)

Ammo types, on the other hand, isn't hard coded.  The only thing that makes "BOLT" is special is that BOLT ammo happen to exist.  You can define other types of ammo and name them whatever you want.

>  I believe the first means horizontal from left to right and the second vertical from top to down,

Yeah, that's right. 

« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 05:26:37 pm by smakemupagus »
Pages: [1] 2