Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Caltrops and you  (Read 7519 times)

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
Re: Caltrops and you
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2012, 05:06:57 pm »

To deploy them quickly, you should be able to launch them from a catapult, 20 at a time.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2012, 07:06:31 pm »

I really like this idea, with a few tweaks. Caltrops should only attack mounts, and on a success should damage a limb and slow down the mount. This would be a good way to "thin out" the attacking force so they don't all get to you at once. I would see sewing them like landmines about the countryside, and I would allow them to be stolen by things like thiefs and Keas.

I continue to think/wish for additional traps when playing the game.
Why would goblins be unaffected by the caltrops? I can easily see dwarves making steel caltrops to pierce goblin boots.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Revanchist

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you for helping us help you help us all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2012, 09:16:16 pm »

...and then stepping on them in a berserker rush... Just like we planned?
Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope... Love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticule, and together, achieving a singular purpose against statistically long odds."

People love a happy ending. So every episode, I will explain once again that I don't like people. And then Mal will shoot someone. Someone we like. And their puppy.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2012, 02:04:50 am »

Military dwarves generally receive metal footwear.

Anyway, support for caltrops.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2012, 12:07:43 pm »

90 kg of dwarf balancing on the point of a dwarven made spike. I'd doubt the foot wear would hold. Also, if they fall it will be... painfull.

((Also, after the siege you would have to clean up. Don't want the elven traders to hurt their feet, do we))

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2012, 12:29:54 pm »

I want my Shoddy Dwarven IEDs already!

The idea of small unanchored weapon traps is very fun, though. Does the game have code for pushing an embedded projectile further into your body through an action involving that body part? If not, it needs it!
My wooden badge was delicious.

Doodooist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2012, 01:43:37 pm »

Legendary caltrop menaced with spikes ._.

Revanchist

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you for helping us help you help us all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2012, 02:32:50 pm »

90 kg of dwarf balancing on the point of a dwarven made spike. I'd doubt the foot wear would hold. Also, if they fall it will be... painfull.

((Also, after the siege you would have to clean up. Don't want the elven traders to hurt their feet, do we))

Wait... We don't?
Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope... Love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticule, and together, achieving a singular purpose against statistically long odds."

People love a happy ending. So every episode, I will explain once again that I don't like people. And then Mal will shoot someone. Someone we like. And their puppy.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2012, 08:35:58 pm »

If I remember right from class, caltrops could pierce a half a inch of metal on the sole of a boot, due to the whole 250lb man vs. sharp upright narrow spike, the spike wins due to some terms I don't remember at all.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2012, 08:38:23 pm »

The man is exerting his full weight over a small area, which increases the effective pressure acting on that small area. That's why caltrops can pierce metal soled boots.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2012, 08:51:53 pm »

The man is exerting his full weight over a small area, which increases the effective pressure acting on that small area. That's why caltrops can pierce metal soled boots.

Since gobbos don't wear boots, the lesson here is that we should make ours from bone.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2012, 06:59:16 am »

Or with large soles...
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2012, 07:26:30 am »

What about creating small spheres out of rock/metal/glass (marbles) that can be tossed onto paved roads or smooth floors that would cause hooved animals in particular a lot of trouble but are less likely to injure your own infantry? Like some protesters are said to do against mounted police these days.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2012, 07:51:52 pm »

Or with large soles...
How would that help?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4