Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Caltrops and you  (Read 7514 times)

Pikdome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Caltrops and you
« on: October 19, 2012, 06:43:27 pm »

You know what? With this new running stuff coming along, I think it'd be a fine opportunity to introduce caltrops, those lovable painful little metal spiky bits that are made so they always have a point facing up, just ready and waiting to be trodden upon.
They were effective at hindering all manners of transport, whether it be leather sandal clad feet or romping camel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caltrops

Revanchist

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you for helping us help you help us all.
    • View Profile
Re: Caltrops and you
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 11:15:00 pm »

Sounds like the dwarven version ofa landmine. Would it be placed like a machine (b-T) like the spears, or another thing? What influences damage: creature speed/size/weight, or material? How many do you get per bar used?
Definitely lovable spikey bits.
Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope... Love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticule, and together, achieving a singular purpose against statistically long odds."

People love a happy ending. So every episode, I will explain once again that I don't like people. And then Mal will shoot someone. Someone we like. And their puppy.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 10:02:37 pm »

Wait.. don't weapon traps already behave in this manner?
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 10:27:23 pm »

This. We already have caltrops, basically.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Pikdome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 02:25:54 am »

No, no, you can carry a pouch of caltops around and throw some down as needed, it'd be more deployable on the go type thing, maybe you could make some crude ones in adventure mode or something, but I suppose they could be used as a stationary defense in forts too.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 04:55:45 am »

No, no, you can carry a pouch of caltops around and throw some down as needed, it'd be more deployable on the go type thing, maybe you could make some crude ones in adventure mode or something, but I suppose they could be used as a stationary defense in forts too.
Ah, I get what you mean now - you'd like these to be available in adventure mode. Seems like a good idea :)

Revanchist

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you for helping us help you help us all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 12:01:44 pm »

Seems like a very bandit-y invention. When Elfen thieves traders are heading to a town, they get ambushed and looted. Nice.
Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope... Love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticule, and together, achieving a singular purpose against statistically long odds."

People love a happy ending. So every episode, I will explain once again that I don't like people. And then Mal will shoot someone. Someone we like. And their puppy.

ExecratedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 01:11:23 pm »

I think they could be pretty awesome. The target's speed and observational ability could dictate if they can see and/or avoid them. Avoidance could cause a movement penalty, and failing to avoid them would render the appendage useless. In fortress mode they could ne used like the current traps, being spread around am area to slow or disable invaders. And in adventure mode you could throw them down as you flee to harass pursuers, or set them up and lead enemies into them.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2012, 01:16:41 pm »

Besides the obvious no vehicular objects thing, I think they would make good deterents if used correctly.  How would they impede/damage though?  Is walking on their tile enough?  Would they provide a barrier that cannot be passed/requires a skill/ttribute check?

More importantly, can you launch them at foes with a watercannon?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2012, 02:46:50 pm »

You have to be careful and not walk on it yourself too.

Or not have your dwarves walk on it if it's in Fortress Mode.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2012, 12:57:01 am »

I'd guess that it'd work by "attacking" the [STANCE] body parts of creatures standing up and moving too rapidly or failing to spot them with observation skill check. If you just toss them across a narrow passageway as you flee a room, the enemy, if they noticed (you could drop a shower of coin and caltrops such that it appears more that you dropped what you were playing with as you fled than left a trap for them), must stop and either brush them aside or step over them gently/jump the tile. They of course couldn't be a guaranteed "step through this tile too fast and suck it" trap, but even a 35% chance (or more depending on how many you dropped in one tile) would hinder enemy movement and could give you just enough time to GTFO. This would mean that at least SOME types of items lying on the ground would need to be hazardous to walk over. But then again it makes sense that one could not sprint across a field of rusty metal bits, rock debris, or heaps of sticks without risk of tripping or twisting an ankle.

You ever stepped on "goat heads?" Motherfuckers hurt for minutes, even if they're 1/4 inch long at most, and you NEVER avoid them if you're walking around barefoot out here in the desert. Hell, I can't even walk across my backyard to the driveway without boots. And the poor dog... Unlike the cats and the poodle he's too fucking stupid to dig them out on his own and I always have to pry them out of his feet when he hobbles over to me with a sad-ass look on his face.

You could also use caltrops as pre-set traps, by dropping them in an area you intend to kite enemies back through, but leaving yourself a route that doesn't cause enemies to go all the way around while following you. Then you just lead them through there somehow whilst avoiding them yourself. If there is ever a way to obscure your tracks through high-vegetation/soft-sediment areas to avoid being stalked indefinitely, then you could also conceivably obscure items on the ground, like these caltrops, which could, in terms of actual effect on gameplay, mean the observation skill roll to notice them increases. If adventurers could make use of these and other "quick traps" then strategies for dealing with large bandit groups increase dramatically. Conversely, if bandits can use them in setting up an ambush or in passages into their lair in the dungeons it'd put you at an interesting disadvantage.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2012, 06:17:28 am »

I stepped on a sea urchin once. Boy, didn't that hurt...

ExecratedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2012, 07:16:25 am »

Haha, now I imagine that porcupines will go extinct as players lay their corpses onto paths used by enemies.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2012, 07:17:28 am »

Porcupine corpses don't hurt as much though..

Trebor1503

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2012, 03:54:07 pm »

I really like this idea, with a few tweaks. Caltrops should only attack mounts, and on a success should damage a limb and slow down the mount. This would be a good way to "thin out" the attacking force so they don't all get to you at once. I would see sewing them like landmines about the countryside, and I would allow them to be stolen by things like thiefs and Keas.

I continue to think/wish for additional traps when playing the game.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4