Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Modding weapons and some strange test results on changing Contact Area.  (Read 4200 times)

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
Re: Modding weapons and some strange test results on changing Contact Area.
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2012, 10:49:08 am »

Good to know it gets some use :P

Speed is a bit funny, a while back I read it doesnt have a linear effect but an exponential one (which would explain why the vanilla whips are like lightsabers). The effect isnt quite as extreme as that would suggest, but its still a good way to balance out otherwise weak weapons (like blunt weapons and daggers).

I havnt balanced every weapon against every other weapon, so if you find any weird quirks feel free to let me know.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Zoolimar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2012, 01:32:16 pm »

Speed is a bit funny, a while back I read it doesnt have a linear effect but an exponential one (which would explain why the vanilla whips are like lightsabers).
Well, formula for attack power probably includes something like mV/S or mVV/2S.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2012, 08:51:27 am »

I told you, a weapons weight is not determined by it's SIZE, but it's MATERIAL_SIZE.

In case it hasn't already been made clear, this is wrong - I've personally reverse-engineered the logic for item weight, and for weapons it uses the [SIZE:x] value (divided by 10, as is done with size values everywhere else) and the material's density.

This is one instance where the data on the wiki is actually correct, and it's a shame that people can't trust it as such automatically (because of people adding unconfirmed information as if it were fact and blindly importing outdated material from previous versions).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Zoolimar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2012, 11:38:07 am »

Some new tests and modded raws.

I tried to add armor made out of felt wool and it was a success to some degree.

On the plus side: Armor provided defense.
On the minus side: All weapons with standard EDGE contact area can't penetrate it.

Body Armor RAW - weight 10 Г
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Head Armor RAW - weight 3 Г

Legs Armor RAW - weight 10 Г

Boot Armor RAW - weight 2 Г

Glove Armor RAW - weight 1 Г

Total weight 29 Г

Test conclusion: armor with bigger [LAYER_SIZE] gives more protection.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2012, 12:21:51 pm »

Test conclusion: armor with bigger [LAYER_SIZE] gives more protection.

Tested this with 20v20 groups of humans, one wearing layer_size:1 bodyarmor, one wearing layer_size:100. Rest of the armor is adamantine.

5 runs, 3 won by size 100, 2 won by size 1, none of the battles were particularly onesided. Which it should have been with a factor 100 difference, had that mattered.

Cant conclude that LAYER_SIZE affects armor effectiveness.

Have been trying to find an easy way to include padded cloth armor myself, sadly the only way to make it would be to add a whole set of seperate materials and reactions.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Zoolimar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2012, 12:36:38 pm »

5 runs, 3 won by size 100, 2 won by size 1, none of the battles were particularly onesided. Which it should have been with a factor 100 difference, had that mattered.
Hmm. The raws in my above post stop steel weapons from penetration but have little protection against blunt attacks. But i tested only penetration not advantage and only with wool armor.

Will make a test with more participants.

Have been trying to find an easy way to include padded cloth armor myself, sadly the only way to make it would be to add a whole set of seperate materials and reactions.
I too tried some materials. I even found some numbers for wool felt but nothing really good.

Numbers for wool felt:

Edited: My mistake. Penetration depends on [STRUCTURAL_ELASTICITY] tag. Chain will have almost no penetration and cloth will be sliced.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 12:55:24 pm by Zoolimar »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2012, 01:00:20 pm »

Tested this with 20v20 groups of humans, one wearing layer_size:1 bodyarmor, one wearing layer_size:100. Rest of the armor is adamantine.

Would like to point out that due to the randomness of DF testing large groups is a very bad testing method, and 5 tests is a very short number of runs. Even for small groups you probably want to run a minimum of 25 tests before you start claiming the results mean this or that, and larger groups are much more vulnerable to the luck of the RNG due to dwarves that defeat their set "opponent" being able to gang up and invalidate the results of other battles by their friends. The best testing method is really running like 100 1v1 tests and recording the winners, therefore minimizing the effects of the RNG.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Zoolimar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2012, 02:01:07 pm »

You can try to make layered armor.

Make armor piece called padding with size small enough to have 10-20 layers of this stuff under metal.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2012, 02:21:37 pm »

Would like to point out that due to the randomness of DF testing large groups is a very bad testing method, and 5 tests is a very short number of runs. Even for small groups you probably want to run a minimum of 25 tests before you start claiming the results mean this or that, and larger groups are much more vulnerable to the luck of the RNG due to dwarves that defeat their set "opponent" being able to gang up and invalidate the results of other battles by their friends. The best testing method is really running like 100 1v1 tests and recording the winners, therefore minimizing the effects of the RNG.
True, it takes a lot more time though.
This test was just to see if there was any significant difference in strength (as I gave the sized a factor 100 difference). Large groups with relatively minor advantages usualy seem to come out on top. (granted, only done this often enough with weapon testing. Havnt tested armors in this way often).

You can try to make layered armor.

Make armor piece called padding with size small enough to have 10-20 layers of this stuff under metal.

Hehe, thats one way to go about it. Would still pick the seperate material/reaction approach over that though.

Zoolimar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2012, 02:39:06 pm »

This test was just to see if there was any significant difference in strength (as I gave the sized a factor 100 difference). Large groups with relatively minor advantages usualy seem to come out on top. (granted, only done this often enough with weapon testing. Havnt tested armors in this way often).
There is also the problem of speed. Those with heavy armor will take penalties to it.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2012, 02:39:13 pm »

I told you, a weapons weight is not determined by it's SIZE, but it's MATERIAL_SIZE.

In case it hasn't already been made clear, this is wrong - I've personally reverse-engineered the logic for item weight, and for weapons it uses the [SIZE:x] value (divided by 10, as is done with size values everywhere else) and the material's density.

This is one instance where the data on the wiki is actually correct, and it's a shame that people can't trust it as such automatically (because of people adding unconfirmed information as if it were fact and blindly importing outdated material from previous versions).

Oh, i've been doing things wrong then.
Sorry for thinking I was right when I wasn't, i'll swallow the ego next time I post.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Zoolimar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2012, 01:10:43 pm »

About armor:

Raw1

Raw2

I suggest to try each one in 10 layers with no other body armor and against copper sword. All other body parts shall be protected with steel.

It seems there is at least some correlation between LAYER_SIZE and armor effectiveness.

I organized a couple of fights 1vs1 and there were no penetrations through Heavy Padding (except against knocked down targets). Sample size 3 times 20 humans in 1vs1 fights. 
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 01:18:03 pm by Zoolimar »

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2012, 08:32:41 pm »

Here I posted the reverse-engineered clothing/armor size/weight calculation.
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012_Talk:Weight

So layer size and coverage matter.

Here I posted the contact area of non-weapon objects:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=116151.msg3699000#msg3699000
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=116151.msg3712777#msg3712777

CONTACT_AREA = (SIZE/10)^(2/3)

So your dwarf has a contact area 19 fist. Also, any sword hitting him in the torso is limited to a contact area of about 100.

Zoolimar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2012, 10:36:07 am »

Here I posted the reverse-engineered clothing/armor size/weight calculation.
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012_Talk:Weight
Thats a great thing.

So your dwarf has a contact area 19 fist. Also, any sword hitting him in the torso is limited to a contact area of about 100.
And thats even greater one if its true.

But now i'm even more interested in Armor Size-Protection relation.

Zoolimar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2012, 11:17:06 am »

Tested the following armor in different sizes:
X = 25, 50, 75, 100, 150 or 200.

Humans were armed with short swords made of copper, bronze, iron, steel or adamantine. They were protected by jaguar leather armor on the body slot and upper arm slot and adamantine armor on all other slots.

Test results:

As you can see armor SIZE do matters for protection against edged weapons. Results for adamantine weapons are weird...
Pages: 1 [2] 3