Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Tundra  (Read 4790 times)

Urist McKoga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tundra
« on: October 19, 2012, 09:45:54 am »

So in my new fortress, a untamed wild tundra close to 2 towers.
How i can get water in this fortress? I just hit the first dry cave =(.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tundra
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 09:46:52 am »

there are two more caves to hit

Urist McKoga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 10:12:51 am »

Is possible to all caves are dry?

MasterShizzle

• Bay Watcher
  • Constantly in a fey mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 10:26:15 am »

It's possible if your worldgen is set for that, but highly unlikely. You'd have to have [CAVERN_LAYER_WATER_MIN:0][CAVERN_LAYER_WATER_MAX:0] set, which I don't think will ever happen unless you set it yourself, in which case you'd KNOW that there's no water in the caverns.

No, you're probably just seeing a dry top layer, which happens. There's bound to be water further down.

If you use DFHack, then "prospect all" will tell you what range of floors have water without giving away the layout of the caverns or anything.
Boss is throwing a tantrum!
MasterShizzle cancels Play Dwarf Fortress: interrupted by Boss

Minecraft's fine, your computer just sucks.

Urist McKoga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 10:35:54 am »

It's possible if your worldgen is set for that, but highly unlikely. You'd have to have [CAVERN_LAYER_WATER_MIN:0][CAVERN_LAYER_WATER_MAX:0] set, which I don't think will ever happen unless you set it yourself, in which case you'd KNOW that there's no water in the caverns.

No, you're probably just seeing a dry top layer, which happens. There's bound to be water further down.

If you use DFHack, then "prospect all" will tell you what range of floors have water without giving away the layout of the caverns or anything.

No, i dont changed the world gen,used the normal creator (not the advance). I know the first cave is dry because i dont see any plant in the cave.
4653 Water and whoa 17557 galena ores. Going to make a Lead Fortress. Ty for helping me =).

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2012, 09:27:40 pm »

"Two tower neighbors," ya don't say?  Mastershizzle, you my friend are one brave dwarf, indeed.  Knutor shivers from a very cold draft.    He's not brave.

For me, default worlds are for Dwarf mode, not Fortress mode.  Curious... Let us know what destroys this fortress.  For the sake of science.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 12:06:15 am »

For me, default worlds are for Dwarf mode, not Fortress mode.

I am disappoint. "Dwarf mode" and "Fortress mode" both refer to the mode officially called "Dwarf Fortress" in the game. The other modes are "Adventurer" and "Legends."
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 05:15:30 am »

If hes on a tundra and its close to two towers then its likely to be a necromancer zombie death. Having no trees for cage traps is really a problem if you are suddenly attacked by 70 zombies and a necromancer which raises corpses/skin/hands on your refuse pile.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2012, 05:43:39 am »

Yes. Worse comes to the worst, you've got plenty of ice to make a self perpetuating water machine ;)

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2012, 06:32:53 am »

Yes. Worse comes to the worst, you've got plenty of ice to make a self perpetuating water machine ;)
Not all tundras have glaciers. Some are like cold deserts.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2012, 08:55:04 am »

Not all tundras have glaciers. Some are like cold deserts.

In that case, I'm glad booze can be made without water.

Plump Helmet Spam Farming Squad, activate!
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Urist McKoga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2012, 06:36:11 pm »

So my situation: Just have my first necro siege (4 goblins zombies and 5 humans, no necromancer). I think my 4 hammer dwarfs are enough to this(iron-grade equips, silver hammers) Best one is a Expert Fighter/Hammer/Shield User ( he just come in my third wave, so luck). They managed to finish them, but  the 2 less skiled hammer dwarfs get serius wounds. Without water to drink (oh right, this is a no glacier embark, so no ice). My only medic is a diagnostician, idk if he can heal them before they die of thirst. Still digging for 2º and 3º caves.

Mimidormi

• Bay Watcher
  • Magnetite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2012, 11:03:01 am »

Ouch. How bad they are?

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2012, 11:29:23 am »

If you have an aquifier somewhere it might be safer to hit that rather than risking going into the dangerous caves when you've got zombies to worry about.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2012, 11:53:08 am »

You can put all the medical skills on everybody to speed up the overall pace of the treatment. So long as nobody needs to be put in traction and you have enough crutches to go around, the injured dwarves should be back on their feet fast enough to avoid dehydration.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: [1] 2