Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Hotline Miami - Now Cheaper! $6.74  (Read 9461 times)

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
Re: Hotline Miami - Now Cheaper! $6.74
« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2012, 09:15:48 am »

I've been thoroughly enjoying this game, and it has so much right.

The noise, the beat, the rhythm pounding pounding pounding. It really is very good.

The 'cutscenes' really float my boat, as well. I'm only at the bit, around chapter 11,:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm trying not to make too many assumption as to what the hell is going on, at the minute, but it all adds to the atmosphere beautifully.

I do have a little niggle with it though, on a gameplay level, and that is the Boss Fights, generally. Of all the freedom you are given to respond to the normal levels, I almost feel like these constrain things, a bit. They feel limiting as compared to the main game - which is undoubtedly a triumph.

I mean, I'm sure I'll get through the current sticking point (chapter 11 I think):

But I'm not sure it will give me the same sense of achievement as the rest of the game does.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2012, 10:10:04 am »

Boss fights are closer to puzzles than asking you to come up with novel solutions to win.

I also found out that AI armed with guns are quite stupid. Guns in general also don't work at point-blank-range. I've stood in a group of 4 guys with shotguns, all piled around me, and they all emptied their clips without hitting me until they were out of ammo. Then they just stood there and let me beat them to death.

So bizarrely, one of the best strategies for dealing with guns at close range is to get EVEN closer. :P

By Chapter 12, the levels start getting a little redonkulous. Like, the first "room" you enter is a shooting gallery covered from 6 different angles.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2012, 12:28:26 pm »

This game made me finally get off my ass and watch Drive. For that reason it gets  a 10/10 :P

(Seriously guys Drive is great, and this game is an OBVIOUS tribute to that once you've seen it. Even the outfit the dude wears is based on Ryan Gosling's:
)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 12:32:23 pm by Tilla »

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2012, 01:22:03 pm »

This game made me finally get off my ass and watch Drive. For that reason it gets  a 10/10 :P

(Seriously guys Drive is great, and this game is an OBVIOUS tribute to that once you've seen it. Even the outfit the dude wears is based on Ryan Gosling's:
)
The protagonist is just wearing an average football jacket. No gloves either.

Though yeah, Drive is pretty awesome.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 30, 2012, 05:52:25 pm »

)

There's a special thanks to Drive director Nicholas Winding Refn at the end. I think the similarities are PRETTY BLATANTLY INTENDED.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 31, 2012, 07:27:21 am »

)

There's a special thanks to Drive director Nicholas Winding Refn at the end. I think the similarities are PRETTY BLATANTLY INTENDED.
I don't think that in particular is a similarity, though. The protagonist's clothes are pretty timeless high school jock wear that's been popular since the 50s. It doesn't look as 80s as Gosling's diamond pattern white jacket with chest on display (at least as far as my vision of the 80s goes).

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 31, 2012, 09:24:22 am »

I have reached and passed the point where the game became to easy : I

Finished every level without weapons/drill only. Including the police station. Some tricks that make it more easy:

Empty fire weapons and throw them at people - they pick it up, but can not use it (no ammo) = harmless enemy
Just throw all weapons you find out the entry door - the ruskis never pick up your drill and just wander, aimlessly and helplessly - no need to kill them until the time is right.
Quick flash & hide can get them to empty there weapon completly, leading to another harmless enemy.

The only enemy you can't drill/kill/smack are the waiters/costumers in the restaurant level (not the china one), bosses and the gunners behind the tables.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 31, 2012, 09:29:18 am »

I don't think it really counts as being too easy when you're exploiting like that.  It's one thing to shoot a single round into the wall and then mow people down as they stupidly run through a chokepoint (And even that's a little lame, you can beat the game without it), but getting them to pick up empty weapons and throwing weapons out of the map is practically cheating.
Shoes...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2012, 09:34:33 am »

ThtblovesDF is just using this mask:

When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 31, 2012, 09:38:43 am »

I have reached and passed the point where the game became to easy : I

Finished every level without weapons/drill only. Including the police station. Some tricks that make it more easy:

Empty fire weapons and throw them at people - they pick it up, but can not use it (no ammo) = harmless enemy
Just throw all weapons you find out the entry door - the ruskis never pick up your drill and just wander, aimlessly and helplessly - no need to kill them until the time is right.
Quick flash & hide can get them to empty there weapon completly, leading to another harmless enemy.

The only enemy you can't drill/kill/smack are the waiters/costumers in the restaurant level (not the china one), bosses and the gunners behind the tables.

The game didn't become too easy, you just broke the mechanics of it. Obviously that was a design flaw, but don't confuse people by saying the game got easy when you deliberately play outside of the intended experience. It's like saying the game got too easy when I entered godmode in the console.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 02, 2012, 01:22:28 pm »

Developers have teased at a new map in the coming weekend update via Twitter.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 02, 2012, 01:34:58 pm »

Oooh new map.

I think what I'd really like to see would be some kind of VR mode like in Metal Gear Solid 2. Something where you have a whole bunch of missions you have to complete with very specific rules, stuff like, kill all enemies in under 60 seconds, or kill them all using only this gun.

postal83

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 02, 2012, 05:06:11 pm »

Just finished this game, and it was surprisingly one of the better gaming experiences I've had this year.  Can't quite put my finger on it, but the overall atmosphere and gameplay was great, especially for the price.  Granted, it has plenty of glitches but worth it.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 05, 2012, 08:01:43 pm »

-You have *1* new message-

An update for Hotline Miami!

360 Controller Support.

Remapping the keys now works with arrowkeys as well.

A bonus stage ”Highball” has been added, which will be unlocked when you complete the mainstory.

Additional environmental graphics.

More gore with the Jones mask now has additional graphical effects.

Additional sound effects.

The pot of boiling water has been updated.

More randomly placed weapons.

First and second boss battles slightly modified.

You know what to do.

*click*

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 05, 2012, 08:34:42 pm »

Oh yeah, so I like beat the game and stuff.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 11:16:47 pm by nenjin »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5