Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Hotline Miami - Now Cheaper! $6.74  (Read 9464 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Hotline Miami - Now Cheaper! $6.74
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2012, 04:57:59 pm »

I don't get the appeal of Dwarf Fortress.  You just move a cursor around telling smiley faces what to do.

I don't get the appeal of XCOM.  You just move guys around to shoot enemies like in many other games.

It's not even that hard.
Shoes...

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2012, 04:59:23 pm »

Yeah, I was lead to believe that I'd open the front door of the level and get shot a billion times. The enemies in this react pretty slowly in most cases.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2012, 04:59:31 pm »

I really don't see the appeal nor the reason people are so excited about it.

You just run around top view killing enemies like in many other games.
The only possible appeal i can think of is how hard the game is but there is a difference between hard and bullsh... hard.
And this game seems to be the latter.

I'm sorry to say that you appear to not know what you are talking about on this particular occasion. The game is not how you describe. Instead, it is a tactical puzzler with a strong emphasis on reflexes. The top down retro style is almost a misleading design element as if to lull you into thinking that this is a GTA style game. 15 minutes with the game would show you this.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2012, 05:22:11 pm »

I really don't see the appeal nor the reason people are so excited about it.

You just run around top view killing enemies like in many other games.
The only possible appeal i can think of is how hard the game is but there is a difference between hard and bullsh... hard.
And this game seems to be the latter.
No. There's nothing bullshit hard about this. You just have to play it smart. The AI is predictable and they're at a disadvantage in terms of gameplay mechanics. You can easily manipulate them. And that's sort of the point of the whole game. To outsmart the AI, who's only advantage is in numbers.

For example, when you see a guy with a gun and you have no gun (or don't want to fire off a gun), you can run out in front of him and right back, luring him to a corner where you clobber him with a pipe. Or similarly, firing off a gun will make the more mobile enemies converge on the place where you fired. Like you can fire a gun and duck in a different room, wait for them to converge on that point, and then run out and melee them to death before they know what's going on. It takes some getting used to, but you can get really good at it.

Something I missed until now, if you play with the mask that makes "secrets easier to see" you can start collecting pink dots in each level,
You don't need the owl mask to collect the dots. They're just slightly easier to spot when you wear it.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2012, 06:31:05 pm »

Well i didn't expect so much negativity but ok whatever floats your boats.

Also yeah i didn't play the game.
I just base on what Ohm said in his video and info given by hemmingjay in his main and subsequent posts.

The game both sounds and looks like something i wouldn't like and i just wonder why 100% of posters here act like if it was a godsend of sorts.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2012, 07:01:09 pm »

Because it is.
Shoes...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2012, 08:55:56 pm »

I pretty much ignored the game on the basis of the title, the format and repeated references to GTA.

But then I heard the music and saw some of the promos and I dunno, it just seemed like it had more of a soul than that. Turns out it does. Is it a godsend? No. But like Binding of Isaac, it is owns what it's doing to a T, and it's a lot of fun. And like Binding of Isaac, I hope they expand the game because it's got the right form for growing.

And like Cthulhu said, when you do it right, you do feel like a bad ass, because the game isn't forgiving on small fuck ups. Yes yes, you can be methodical and slowly take it apart guy by guy. That doesn't make it any less challenging. You still have to learn the sequence and execute the right way every time, and occasionally the game changes something, or you just simply don't execute.

It's not for everyone, but I think it's pretty brilliant.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2012, 09:18:28 pm »

Really enjoying this so far. The controls were a little unwieldy at first but I think I'm settling into them well enough. When everything clicks into place it's glorious.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2012, 10:28:08 pm »

Well i didn't expect so much negativity but ok whatever floats your boats.

Also yeah i didn't play the game.
I just base on what Ohm said in his video and info given by hemmingjay in his main and subsequent posts.

The game both sounds and looks like something i wouldn't like and i just wonder why 100% of posters here act like if it was a godsend of sorts.
I think most of us feel like you are missing the fun of the game just by explaining the most basic aspect. The fun of the game is trying a level a few times and figuring out how you want to go about each room and how you respond to changes.

Personally, I like to do things the hilarious action move way rather than the easy way. One of the early levels has two guards patroling a room, the first one has a shot gun. It would be easiest to knock the first one down and club the second one to death, but for me it was more fun to slam the door in the second guard's face, throw a pipe at the first guard, crub stomp the second one, the pick my pipe back up and beat the first guard to death.

There is something awesome about all of it.

How do you collect the pink dots and also how does scoring work?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2012, 10:46:42 pm »

Right click while on or near the dots to pick them up and add the letter.

Scoring seems? kind of self explanatory. I think the stuff like boldness is an aggregate of events like "Exposed x1, x2, x3. I imagine it can be fairly complicated. But basically you get the highest score by moving through the levels as quickly as possible, since most if not all the scoring traits correlate to fast moving and fast killing. The only stat that's static is "# of kills", since you have to kill every guy in a level to advance.

It was honestly this trailer that made me buy. The image of an average looking guy turning into a violent, vigilante psychopath because he put on a mask is just cool, and the video is layered in an interesting way. I saw it and thought immediately about Splatter House, one of my favorites as a kid. Between the theme and the music, it had me.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 11:24:07 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2012, 08:02:18 am »

It also helps your score to vary your approach over a level.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2012, 10:35:41 am »

I got the real ending.  Now I'm wondering...

Spoiler: About the ending (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Alternatively... (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 10:45:58 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2012, 11:14:02 am »

I got the real ending.  Now I'm wondering...

Spoiler: About the ending (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Alternatively... (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 06:12:14 pm by Virtz »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2012, 08:29:27 am »

Shoes...

Virtz

• Bay Watcher