Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Hotline Miami - Now Cheaper! $6.74  (Read 9467 times)

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
Re: Hotline Miami - Now Cheaper! $6.74
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2012, 11:18:30 am »

Played a bit of this a while back, it's almost stupidly fun.  Gonna be grabbing a copy when the sale ends.

How come you get press builds hemmingjay?
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2012, 12:00:12 pm »

I have a few industry friends. I am in no way affiliated with gaming press though.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2012, 12:31:39 pm »

I was hoping for a cool new review place :(

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2012, 02:51:01 pm »

UPDATE: Amazon is running a sale on the pre-order
Hotline Miami – £4.21/€5.17/$6.74
Apply coupon “SQRLUVOC”.
Registers on Steam.
I cannot get coupon to work... I am quite possibly doing something wrong... or maybe you are just toying with me ^_^

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2012, 04:24:49 pm »

it seems that code(which was the same 25% off code from last week is now expired. Sorry all!
Only a simple mind can be certain.

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2012, 07:01:16 pm »

Bummer - I had the code work today, looks like about 8 hours ago...

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2012, 07:54:12 pm »

it seems that code(which was the same 25% off code from last week is now expired. Sorry all!
Never be sorry for trying to do peeps a favor! Thanks anyways!

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2012, 11:54:12 am »

The game is all sorts of awesome. The gameplay is both frantic and tactical. Like you plan things out during slow moments, then basically execute the plan at the right moment using little more than muscle memory, cause it's too fast to react to (at least at first when you play). The storyline doesn't explicitly explain things, making it somewhat refreshing. There's a lot of surrealism to the game that leaves questions as to the "reality" of the game's events. There's secrets and unlockables (masks with different gameplay-altering abilities especially). The soundtrack in particular is fantastic. The tracks are from 8 different artists. Makes me wonder what it took to make it. I'd say it's totally worth the money.

Also, there's been talk of "storyline driven" DLC and the possibility of a map editor coming some time later.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2012, 12:41:33 pm »

I'm buying this just for the soundtrack. Jesus this is good.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2012, 03:53:12 pm »

The game turned out to be a lot more tactical and puzzley than I thought. You can't really rampage through a whole level. I suppose it's possible if you're really, really in the zone and you get lucky with what enemies aren't carrying....but even then there's some levels you have to be really deliberate. Little mistakes like a missed swing, not facing the right way, firing a shotgun and not being able to reload before the next enemies charges you/takes a shot, having a door block your shot as an enemy walks through it.....most mean instant death.

You can spend 20 minutes on a level trying to figure out the best way to approach rooms, patrol routes, guys emplaced specifically to kill you when you come into LOS, specialized enemies like dogs....and then surprise yourself by tearing through 5 guys in a manner you hadn't even planned. You can meticulously take apart groups of guys, or go in swinging and pray your reflexes and aiming are spot on.

And then there's the missions that require you figure out how they want you to approach it. I laughed at the tool tip "Dont be afraid of dying" but it's really true. Sometimes you just have to zerg a spot until you figure out what will work, or you're timing is as precise as it needs to be. If the game loaded up and got going any slower than it does, it might become tedious, but it really keeps the pace up even when you're failing.

And when it's all over, you can't wait to do another level. There's a few nice little secondary touches to the game, like the arcade scoring system really measuring your play style and unlocking weapons that show up randomly in missions.

The story is interesting too, in a sort of Binding of Isaac/Lone Survivor sort of way. Right now I'm thinking:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 04:00:49 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2012, 04:06:20 pm »

I haven't really done much thinking about it.  It doesn't seem to me like the kind of game you should be thinking too hard about, story-wise at least.  It's a fever dream.

That said, the gameplay is awesome.  When you do it perfect it feels like you're in a Quentin Tarantino movie, just busting people up and holy shit, I just remembered you can use human shields.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 04:08:48 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2012, 04:19:25 pm »

Human shields have got me killed a few times, where I've went to finish off a dude on the ground and ended up being stuck using him as a shield, with no ammo, as the next lot burst into the room.

Game's bloody awesome though, and I think I'll be able to get a few playthroughs out of it just by restricting my combat styles.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2012, 04:52:31 pm »

I really don't see the appeal nor the reason people are so excited about it.

You just run around top view killing enemies like in many other games.
The only possible appeal i can think of is how hard the game is but there is a difference between hard and bullsh... hard.
And this game seems to be the latter.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2012, 04:56:59 pm »

I really don't see the appeal nor the reason people are so excited about it.

You just run around top view killing enemies like in many other games.
The only possible appeal i can think of is how hard the game is but there is a difference between hard and bullsh... hard.
And this game seems to be the latter.

It has an incredibly fair amount of difficulty.

Name a game or five you actually like?

Javier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2012, 04:57:31 pm »

Something I missed until now, if you play with the mask that makes "secrets easier to see" you can start collecting pink dots in each level, each one giving you a letter with which you can put together a phrase in the "PUZZLE" pause menu option. This will grant you a more revealing ending:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5