Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: You Are Islanders--Day Three, Monsoon!  (Read 7278 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
You Are Islanders--Day Three, Monsoon!
« on: October 18, 2012, 10:30:33 pm »

I want some practice with running some kind of civilizationey game before Feudalism starts, so here it is.

-----

You are the head of a small group of islanders. Recently, you and several others were on the seas when one of the recent freak storms blew you far off-course. You awoke on an island you have never been to before. You soon asserted yourself as the leader and prepared for your new life.

TRIBE CREATION:
You need two things to post a tribe: A brief description of your group's leader, and traits you choose.
Your group's leader needs a name and a brief description of who s/he is and why s/he came to power. It can be anyone in the group, but given the culture you need a good reason to make a woman your leader and a better one to make a child lead them. No tribes will be accepted any longer; we're at quota for now.
Traits are things you have or found that either help or hurt your group. You start with two points, but can get more by picking traits which negatively affect your tribe. Many traits can be taken multiple times.
Spoiler: Trait List (click to show/hide)
You need not spend all points, but there's no reason to do so except trying to inspire GM pity.

Every group starts out with the following, unless traits change it:
Spoiler: Stuff (click to show/hide)

GAMEPLAY:
Each day, you need to assign work to your workers.
There are many jobs your people can do. For now, I'll only post some of the basic jobs and the tools they require.
Any adult can work, but due to a combination of their build and culture women have more limited ranges of work. Any task not marked with an asterisk will give women a -1 to if they do it, until they get fairly skilled at it. This is not intended to be sexist; IRL, most cultures' women did little but keep house and watch the children.
Spoiler: Tasks (click to show/hide)
As time goes on, I'll post more things you can do. For the start, you'll probably want to stick to this.

CRAFTING:
Given how little you start with, crafting new tools and goods will be important. Here is a list of all crafts I feel you should worry about for now, as well as those asked for:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

-----

Groups (aka tribes or clans or whatever):

Spoiler: Caerwyn's (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: TopHat's (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: 10ebbor10's (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: LordSlowpoke's (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 10:41:38 pm by GreatWyrmGold »
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

Seems interesting. Sheet up soon.

anailater

• Bay Watcher
  • Because She's Awesome
    • View Profile

Leader Name: Gunagua Kanagi
Reason for leadership: Was the first one to wake up after the crash, punched his only rival in the face to establish superiority.
Traits:
Bad: No Canoe
Good: Rich Forest, Chickens.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 04:34:52 pm by anailater »
At best it's a pool of ink thats here for no reason; at worst it's a puddle of hateful alien death penises that want to murder-rape you into chunks.
So how are you today?

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think I'll just watch.
Got enough work to do now getting the new arrivals and returns up to date on everything for feudalism.
And trying to fleece them in the process :P.

Caerwyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Group Leader

Name: Kamehameha
Description: Kamehameha earned his name when he proved that his skill with the bow was excellent, which started him on his path-way to becoming the Leader of his group. He's swift, smart and talented, but cares little for human or animal life.

PERKS (Good)

Rich Forest
Mine
Central
Chickens

PERKS (Negative)
Makatea
No Canoe

We don't start with a spear or bow? BLASPHEMY! But, on that hand, do we post turns now, or wait?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 04:39:59 pm by Caerwyn »

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Leader name: Heiruphus
Reason for leadership: heritage. His father was the leader, so was his father, and his father before him. The fact that they're shipwrecked does nothing to change this.

Traits:
Dogs [2 points]
Chickens [1 point]
Mine [1 point]
Rich Forest [2 points]

Makatea [2 points]
No canoe [1 point]
Inaccessible [1 point]

Spoiler: tribe status (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 04:00:23 pm by TopHat »
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

Spoiler: Robert's tribe (click to show/hide)
[/spoiler]

Greenstarfanatic

• Bay Watcher
  • I wanna be a cow boy babey
    • View Profile

PTW.
Hey, don't forget about research boy sitting right here!

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

LET'S DO THIIIIIIIIS

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Leader Name: Bruce Thomson
Reason for leadership: Was the first one to wake up after the crash, punched his only rival in the face to establish superiority.
Traits:
FYI, I was thinking more of "Polynesian." If you want to change your stuff, that's great; if not, okay. Edit: On closer inspection, this applies to almost everyone. Sorry for the confusion.

Everyone else is in, and no further submissions will be allowed. Actually, anailater is in too, he just might change his guy's name or whatever.

Any questions or are you ready to start Day 1?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 03:45:48 pm by GreatWyrmGold »
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

Traits:
FYI, I was thinking more of "Polynesian." If you want to change your stuff, that's great; if not, okay.

Everyone else is in, and no further submissions will be allowed. Actually, anailater is in too, he just might change his guy's name or whatever.

Historical setting. Or an alternate reality. I mean, can we see strange and terrifying beast, pagan magic and working gods?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Traits:
FYI, I was thinking more of "Polynesian." If you want to change your stuff, that's great; if not, okay.

Historical setting. Or an alternate reality. I mean, can we see strange and terrifying beast, pagan magic and working gods?
There's some supernatural stuff, but it's quite firmly on the low-fantasy end of things. It just strikes me that having Bruces and Blakes using adzes and otherwise being Polynesian expies would be...odd.
Sig

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Name is changed. I have no idea as to Polynesian names, so hope that this will suffice.
Ready to start. Good luck everyone.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

Name is changed. I have no idea as to Polynesian names, so hope that this will suffice.
My name is germanic. I must have got seriously lost after sacking the Roman empire.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Non-obviously-modern is good.

I'll get the game started once I finish a basic map.

My name is germanic. I must have got seriously lost after sacking the Roman empire.
Apparently. I hope you're not expecting anyone to know more than the rest of the people...

Oh, and Slowpoke? I'd advise having the grown-ups work pretty much full-time on gathering food. You have one prier to get shellfish, and the other nine can gather fruit.
Sig
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7