Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Rain, Rain, Go Away...  (Read 3544 times)

bdsorensen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Rain, Rain, Go Away...
« on: October 18, 2012, 09:16:26 pm »

So. I recently had my shortest fortress ever.

I was having fun, playing dwarf fortress, surviving for several decades before being demolished by a rampant Forgotten Beast, and decided to ramp up the challenge and embark on an evil biome. I was greeted by a very nice looking field of trees and a river and I thought to myself, "This doesn't seem to bad."

Then it began to rain pungent filth.

At first, I was annoyed because my dwarves would get bad thoughts for having to deal with freakish rain, before I noticed the river start to turn yellow. Taking a look, the yellow tiles were from Otter pus. I checked the otters, and was surprised to find them running a fever. Taking a look, their bodies were blistered. Alarmed, I took a look at my dwarves. They too, were blistered, and quite thoroughly.  Their body parts were blistered, yes, but so were their organs. Their brains, guts, stomachs, lungs, were all blistered, and I came to a realization.

My dwarves were melting.

Alarmed, I prayed that maybe my miner dwarves had managed to get indoors in time to escape the rain, but they too were soon too damaged to work. Everyone slowed down, the animals started dying, and soon, my settlement crumbled.

So.... Evil biomes.

megahelmet

• Bay Watcher
  • *casts* Meteo!!
    • View Profile
Re: Rain, Rain, Go Away...
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 09:28:41 pm »

Pretty awesome! Now if you can just get underground with your reclaim, the fort will protect itself! ....provided it doesn't also re-animate.
Pylons on fire can stay, its awesome.

bdsorensen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 09:35:16 pm »

Nope. Tried reclaim; it's ALWAYS raining pungent filth.  And there's a goblin fortress just a little ways from here! Wonder how they're getting along.

melphel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 10:02:26 pm »

This was also my first experience with the new evil biomes.  Dwarves oozing pus everywhere.

I was rather disappointed by this too, I just wanted to pit myself against the creatures that inhabit evil areas...not against the weather...  I could just as easily find a split embark that doesn't rain acrid ooze everywhere, or just turn off evil rains...but that isn't the same.

The new difficulty associated with evil regions is appreciated, but I would have liked it if we didn't have to bunker down to survive in them.  It just doesn't feel like I am conquering the land if I have to hide from it.

Black_Legion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 10:12:44 pm »

[...]
The new difficulty associated with evil regions is appreciated, but I would have liked it if we didn't have to bunker down to survive in them.  It just doesn't feel like I am conquering the land if I have to hide from it.

Every castle has a beginning, every fort was initially a pile of dirt. I think you are thinking about your humble begins the wrong way. Yes, you begin as a lovely bunker in a hellish wasteland of torrenting filth and pus, where the dead wander and the husks pursue their hateful vengeance on what ever comes near... but these are beginnings. When you embarked these were the challenges you put yourself up too. Now is the time to harness that creativity and use every ounce/quart/liter of your strategic Dwarven know-how to conquer this place.

Though it may be a small beginning eventually with enough blood, death, and dwarves you will have that obsidian, steel, and glass monolith you want dominating the country side. It may take 2, 5, even 20 reclaims but if you have the determination it can be done... Unless you have Giant Sponge Husks, seriously those just scare the shit out of me.

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 10:12:53 pm »

Aah, pus syndromes. I love the way they fill the outsides of my fort with yellow and green (pus and vomit. Sometimes blood. The dwarves leave nice trails on the ground ;) )

Instead of odder pus, I have sometimes seen entire rivers turning yellow and red from pus and blood from a  fish that is swimming upstream. (Looks interesting on fast moving streams) Before that I always though that salmon and other vermin couldn't generate pus.
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

bdsorensen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 10:16:00 pm »

I do love how my rain seems to spread the syndrome on contact; literally, the first few bits of putrid filth will have you dead within a dwarf week from your organs blistering and erupting.  My reclaim miners that spent about half a second above ground in the rain before moving to dig the corridor are a testament to that.

Xob Ludosmbax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 10:55:53 pm »

I find that dwarven bathtubs sometimes help with rain.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 11:02:28 pm »

And there's a goblin fortress just a little ways from here! Wonder how they're getting along.

Snozgub: Hey, is it still raining?
Ulspa: Here, lemme check. Hey, Zusmob! Go outside for a second.
Zusmob: Yeah, yeah, whatever. OH GODS! I'M MELTING! MELLLLLLTING!
Ulspa: Yeah, it's still raining.

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2012, 11:29:36 pm »

And there's a goblin fortress just a little ways from here! Wonder how they're getting along.

Snozgub: Hey, is it still raining?
Ulspa: Here, lemme check. Hey, Zusmob! Go outside for a second.
Zusmob: Yeah, yeah, whatever. OH GODS! I'M MELTING! MELLLLLLTING!
Ulspa: Yeah, it's still raining.

Ding, dong, Zusmob's dead!
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.

bdsorensen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2012, 11:33:39 pm »

Wonder how the putrid rain would affect the undead, though. It seems to kill by.... Organ eruption of some kind. I assume so, anyway.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2012, 12:12:30 am »

I saw giant sponge husks and had to add: my recent evil embark, with thralling clouds is nice. What's not nice is the river infested with carp.

Just carp? No. these carp kill thethralls that fall into the water. they aren't thralls, or undead, just carp.

I'm staying away from the river.

bdsorensen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2012, 12:18:08 am »

Oh by Armok, yes. I did it. Every other dwarf on the expeditionary team is dead by 2 of the miners made it underground before the intermittent rain storms of putrid filth arrived again. The cats, the war dogs, my doctor, my carpenter, my mason, all dead but Zon Itdunavuz and Dakost Mosusvucar, the miners are still alive.

And they are never allowed outside.

Kobelcog, 'Summitboots', lives.  For now, at least.

Edit: Ah yes, in addendum, I've found out the cause of death. Before I had no idea, due to most of my dwarves dying within a day of eachother and not allowing me to see the cause of death.  But a miner saw what happened to a war dog.

Suffocation.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 12:21:49 am by bdsorensen »

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2012, 12:59:48 am »

Even if you make it underground, any caravan caught in such a rain will be in deep trouble.

I wonder if they can contaminate your fort by bringing filth on them. My caravans leave trails of blood whenever they arrive, not sure if they leave anything else.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

bdsorensen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2012, 01:03:15 am »

I'm not sure. It doesn't seem contagious, as the miners didn't catch it when I forced the sick ones to bring in food for them before they keeled over. They didn't track anything either, as far as I saw.

My biggest worry now is..... A ghost has risen. And I'm on an aquifer. Which means for now, no stone, and I can't go outside, so no wood. This fortress won't last long.
Pages: [1] 2