Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: My doors are alive  (Read 2614 times)

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My doors are alive
« on: October 18, 2012, 06:01:41 pm »

I'm notified that one of my haulers has suffocated. I check the combat log. What the...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Oh and there's some display issue with text not showing in a few places, I'm not sure what's causing it.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
Re: My doors are alive
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 06:06:08 pm »

You know you really fucked up when you break every bone in your body by accidentally slamming into a door. Again and again. I'm curious as to how that would even look.

Spinning Welshman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 06:42:25 pm »

The most likely scenario is that a dwarf got angry and threw the door at the poor bugger. Haven't you ever been so angry you wanted to throw a door?
I also just had a human diplomat enter from the surface, hold a meeting, then exit the map via hell.... I guess he thinks he's pretty hardass.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 07:10:32 pm »

If a dwarf threw the door, wouldn't it be spinning in the log?

Spinning Welshman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 07:25:58 pm »

If a dwarf threw the door, wouldn't it be spinning in the log?

Nice catch, I think you're right. Gentlemen, I think either toady coded in poltergeists without telling anyone, or we have a genuinely bad-tempered door.  :o
I also just had a human diplomat enter from the surface, hold a meeting, then exit the map via hell.... I guess he thinks he's pretty hardass.

dreadmullet

• Bay Watcher
  • Inadequate Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 07:49:42 pm »

This looks like the bug where removing a construction teleports an elfload of random items to the dwarf it was being removed by. Then, when someone removes the floor that all of those random items are on, some poor dwarf gets a mountain of crap dropped on them.

Were you building something out of wood by any chance?

TBeholder

• Bay Watcher
  • the shade of something you remembered to forget
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 10:59:42 pm »

May it be catapulted with a raising bridge or a spilling minecart?
Nafferton said: “See me chase that boy till he drops!” I said: “You can’t get your knife into an Assistant Commissioner.” Nafferton told me that I did not understand the administration of the Province.
- "Pig"

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 11:07:25 pm »

This looks like the bug where removing a construction teleports an elfload of random items to the dwarf it was being removed by. Then, when someone removes the floor that all of those random items are on, some poor dwarf gets a mountain of crap dropped on them.

Were you building something out of wood by any chance?

Indeed I was. Looks like something like that is the problem.

I had built a temporary wood stair shaft surrounded by wood floors (had to close the hole after caving in an aquifer). Now that I've started replacing the wood with stone blocks, I'm getting more of these accidents, though that one was the only fatality it seems.

Oh and I found the +Quartzite Door+. It ended up on the bottom of the shaft, on the first cavern flor level. This awesome door will go into my mayors quarters.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 11:09:18 pm by Blue_Dwarf »
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 11:26:23 pm »

Assuming you are using the SDL Windows build, there is a patch up on Mantis.
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.

Berossus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2012, 05:18:14 am »

I suppose theres a rather strong wind going on, and it wasnt properly locked... i just imagine the dwarf standing there, getting the door slammed repeatedly in his face, waiting for orders from the hivemind...
My son, many speak of the honor in war.
My preferred method is to wait until their back is turned, then impale them with a pike held by someone else.
Preferrably from a distance.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2012, 12:57:30 pm »

Nice catch, I think you're right. Gentlemen, I think either toady coded in poltergeists without telling anyone, or we have a genuinely bad-tempered door.  :o
-There are poltergeists in DF.

Yeah.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2012, 01:19:51 pm »

You know you really fucked up when you break every bone in your body by accidentally slamming into a door. Again and again. I'm curious as to how that would even look.
Something from ADOM, maybe?

Oh and I found the +Quartzite Door+. It ended up on the bottom of the shaft, on the first cavern flor level. This awesome door will go into my mayors quarters.
He's mandating useless stuff?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2012, 04:00:26 pm »

There's a weird glitch I've noticed with ramps where occasionally a dwarf will be hit with something they were carrying or take falling damage. No idea what causes it but if it's happening this often I'd wager that's what it is.

dreadmullet

• Bay Watcher
  • Inadequate Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2012, 10:57:20 pm »

There's a weird glitch I've noticed with ramps where occasionally a dwarf will be hit with something they were carrying or take falling damage. No idea what causes it but if it's happening this often I'd wager that's what it is.

That explains what happened recently in my fort. A child randomly got hit by something when going down a ramp and died.

Voyd211

• Bay Watcher
  • I am and I am not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2012, 11:41:40 pm »

Oh crap oh crap OH CRA*kaboom*
Apparently, I am the first person to ever say "Screw You in All Your Finery."

!!SCIENCE!! team has vapor for brains.
Pages: [1] 2