Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Using a necromancer army to attack the HFS  (Read 3118 times)

rridgway

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Using a necromancer army to attack the HFS
« on: October 18, 2012, 04:02:46 pm »

In my latest fort, I'm planning on capturing as many necromancers as possible, while also using a contaminated well and a hospital to convert most, if not all of my fort into vampires. I may make quite a few adventurer necromancers of the same civilization, to help expediate matters. How many should I have, along with raised zombies, of course, do I need before I should be able to stave off the HFS?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Using a necromancer army to attack the HFS
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 04:06:59 pm »

You only need one. It's the corpses you should be on the prowl for :P

Also keep the necros away from your soldiers, unless you want them to join the dead list too quickly. Keep the necro locked behind windows and fortifications, and the zombies will win by attrition, or get vaporized.

Spinning Welshman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 04:52:38 pm »

I just started a fort with basically the same idea in mind.  :D

My plan is to have a "death pit" that i drop all my unessential corpses into, which will either be rezzed by the biome if it turns out to have that property, or by a necromancer if not. when i get enough zombies milling about down there, a suicide miner will connect it to the HFS, and the war will commence.  :P
I also just had a human diplomat enter from the surface, hold a meeting, then exit the map via hell.... I guess he thinks he's pretty hardass.

rridgway

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2012, 05:05:21 pm »

That's a good one.

As an aside, do evil clouds and the such affect demons?

I was thinking more along sending the captured necromancers just after their zombies. Makes it a bit more epic that way. If they succeed, good. I'll send a torrent of water after them to push them down the tube. Or, I might capture them again, and just flush away their zombies.

If they fail, then I send in my guys. Their zombies first, followed by waves of my vampirized military. With the dwarven necromancers in the back, in an archer squad. Of course, hopefully stopping them from charging into melee. Necros can raise demons, right? As well, will the zombies of different necros attack each other? Even if the necros are of the same civ?

Spinning Welshman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 07:57:05 pm »

That's a good one.

I was thinking more along sending the captured necromancers just after their zombies. Makes it a bit more epic that way. If they succeed, good. I'll send a torrent of water after them to push them down the tube. Or, I might capture them again, and just flush away their zombies.

If they fail, then I send in my guys. Their zombies first, followed by waves of my vampirized military. With the dwarven necromancers in the back, in an archer squad. Of course, hopefully stopping them from charging into melee. Necros can raise demons, right? As well, will the zombies of different necros attack each other? Even if the necros are of the same civ?

I have no idea if clouds will affect demons, thought it would seem logical if organic demons could be husked, and inorganic ones couldn't.

Myself I'm hoping to do my rezzing by placing my death pit in the haunted biome I border on, necromancers are squishy. :P

Necros can raise any organic demon, but they can't raise inorganics, at least I think that's how it works. And all zombies are friendly with each other as far as I know, shouldn't matter where they come from.
I also just had a human diplomat enter from the surface, hold a meeting, then exit the map via hell.... I guess he thinks he's pretty hardass.

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 11:02:43 pm »

That's a good one.

Evil clouds affect forgotten beasts, at least the organic ones, so they should affect demons, too. I experienced that particular brand of Fun when I accidentally shot an FB with a bolt which had been exposed to the clouds of creeping ash.

Gaybarowner

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOW_LEARNER] [VERMIN_HATEABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2012, 07:31:16 am »

Husked zombie/necromancer fighting arena? winner gets pigs!

Ruhn

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2012, 11:58:06 am »

Deamons are bad enough, Deamon Husks could be a real problem to clean up?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2012, 01:11:16 pm »

Deamons are bad enough, Deamon Husks could be a real problem to clean up?
They are immune to husking, being supernatural and all.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2012, 02:37:28 pm »

Use triggered spikes to kill off the first wave of demons and then send in the necromancers.

rridgway

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2012, 11:13:02 pm »

Use triggered spikes to kill off the first wave of demons and then send in the necromancers.

Too "easy".

MoonLightBird

• Bay Watcher
  • Hothothothot!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2012, 11:57:16 am »

I built a 1x1 room sealed off by a floodgate by the cap of candy. I stuck a necro in there and closed it. Then the room around the candy(25x25) was filled with a lot of bodies.Then my miner breaks open the candy and runs. At the top of the safety staircase another dwarf flips a lever that closes off the area and lets the necro out.

Thats as far as I have gotten, I want to use pumps to flood the area with magma after all the clowns are dead to get rid of the undead.

Psychobones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2012, 01:57:56 pm »

I built a 1x1 room sealed off by a floodgate by the cap of candy. I stuck a necro in there and closed it. Then the room around the candy(25x25) was filled with a lot of bodies.Then my miner breaks open the candy and runs. At the top of the safety staircase another dwarf flips a lever that closes off the area and lets the necro out.

Thats as far as I have gotten, I want to use pumps to flood the area with magma after all the clowns are dead to get rid of the undead.

The last time I tried using magma to kill undead I just ended up with !!ZOMBIES!! which are apparently a bit more dangerous. Might have been I didn't apply enough though.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2012, 06:30:00 pm »

The last time I tried using magma to kill undead I just ended up with !!ZOMBIES!! which are apparently a bit more dangerous. Might have been I didn't apply enough though.
Magma is death of a thousand Cuts, so yeah, for creatures that don't bleed, very uneffective.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2012, 10:08:57 pm »

Hordes of undead and necromancers fighting it out with demons?...BRB, gonna go play Diablo 2.

In all seriousness, what about a super deep pit to drop the corpses/volunteers down to?  Channel a pit down, layer by layer, to get as close as you want to the HFS, restrain the necro nearby without being able to raise the dead, then drop in loads upon loads of prisoners, useless animals, etc to fill the pit with blood and giblets such as arms, heads, etc. If corpses also explode after falling some distance, then there's even more bits for necros to raise. When ready, unleash the demons and free the necromancers.

A benefit of raising bits rather than whole creatures, in my experience, is that the bits get harder to hit. In Adventure mode at least, raising an arm or a head means there's less targets for enemy AI to hit, and often times the few targets that are available are usually tougher to hit. (heads especially.) Only problem is the bits are much more fragile, but there are more of them, so it's in essence a zerg rush.

Also, I nominate you somehow start a crocodile breeding program and fill the pit with croc corpses. Reanimated undead crocodile heads are terrifyingly effective at tearing off limbs, especially saltwater crocodiles.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _
Pages: [1] 2