Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: [METALFRILLS] NO farming YES mods - Enlist Now!  (Read 14757 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: [METALFRILLS] NO farming YES mods - Enlist Now!
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2012, 03:59:09 pm »

Must not have fully unzipped.

Why did you send me the whole DF folder?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2012, 04:22:36 pm »

Could you just send over the save, and not your whole DF folder? My net book only seems to want to unzip so much today...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2012, 04:43:33 pm »

I'm taking a peek at the save, but I suspect that it was properly uploaded.

DF save folders are now huge.

If you look at the first 10 saves on wimbli's community games page, you'll see that though a couple are around 10 MB in size, the rest range between 30-40 MB, and several ARE in their first years of play, just like ours.... this save is 38.7 MB

Most of that size relates to the size of world during world gen - it's all there in that file.  The smaller the world, the easier all future passing around of that file will be.

But I'm curious now, and I'll confirm that I can open the save or not, and if it actually IS larger than it has to be, I'll re-upload it in the smallest playable form I know how to give it.

Edited to add - Yes, we have no bananas.

Here's the trimmed save - note it's still 28.4 MB

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7083

To use it - unzip it and place it into ANY 0.34.11 DF saved games folder.  Note the file is currently called region4 - if you HAVE a region4 save already, rename one of them or save over your old one and lose it.

You do not need to have the LFR mod of DF running to play the save properly - just to create new games as LFR games.  What WILL be different are any unusal init settings, as well as any specific graphics... Speaking of which, here's what two screenshots look like from the save currently, viewed with the graphics set used in LFR -

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Have fun with it!  Cant wait to read our further adventures.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 05:04:33 pm by Imp »
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2012, 05:15:15 pm »

Same here.
Sig

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2012, 05:40:30 pm »

Same here.

You're gonna be the one writing this year's worth of those stories, right Gold?

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2012, 05:50:15 pm »

You know what, you can put me at the end of the list, though if anyone else comes in, bump them above me. This'll be the first succession fort I observe from the start, and possibly the first I participate in. But my DF skill is Very Rusty and it'll take some time for me to remember how to all of the things.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2012, 05:56:30 pm »

Same here.
You're gonna be the one writing this year's worth of those stories, right Gold?
...So?
Sig

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 28, 2012, 06:14:40 pm »

...So?

Fixer-Imp had been hoping to hear something interpretable as either 'all is well, save works, game is happening', or 'further problems exist, details are ....'.  The poor critter's got no idea how to interpret 'Same here' and '...So?' into either of those boxes, so is just sitting there emitting soft beeping noises.

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2012, 06:22:22 pm »

Sign me up for a turn if this ever works out.

With all these problems, wouldn't it just be easier to start a new, smaller world?
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 28, 2012, 06:58:52 pm »

...So?
Fixer-Imp had been hoping to hear something interpretable as either 'all is well, save works, game is happening', or 'further problems exist, details are ....'.  The poor critter's got no idea how to interpret 'Same here' and '...So?' into either of those boxes, so is just sitting there emitting soft beeping noises.
Ah. Well, I just got some good news.

As I speak, I'm opening our little fortress in The Packed Plane.
Sig

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 29, 2012, 08:38:21 pm »

LFR adds several new civilizations, some of them quite advanced and some still stone age.  Keeping a reasonably healthy civ of each alive in a small world can be tricky, plus I wanted to have access to a variety of materials and animals and necrotowers.  The save did turn out way huger then I thought it would (350 megs), but it zips down quite nicely.  I think I used an ancient version of winrar or something, and thats the source of your unzipping troubles. 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 29, 2012, 08:41:54 pm »

The unzipping issues have been solved. The remaining issues have been technical (my laptop's been acting up) and temporal (I was busy today). I should have enough for an update tonight...
Sig

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 29, 2012, 09:37:55 pm »

LFR adds several new civilizations, some of them quite advanced and some still stone age.  Keeping a reasonably healthy civ of each alive in a small world can be tricky, plus I wanted to have access to a variety of materials and animals and necrotowers.  The save did turn out way huger then I thought it would (350 megs), but it zips down quite nicely.  I think I used an ancient version of winrar or something, and thats the source of your unzipping troubles.

The save seems a typical size to me - honestly.... most DF saves these days are around this size, even just normal DF games without mods.  I think the game's just fine, on the 'are we playing the right world' side of things.  It also unzipped just fine for me, not that I'm the one it needs to unzip for.

Here's to this game flourishing, and the turns taken actually getting played through and posted up!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 29, 2012, 10:02:49 pm »

This is basically my thoughts about what I think of the fortress.

The first thing I notice is crazed traders of multiple races, followed by a tantruming swordsdwarf who has two daughters but no husband. This...is not a good sign. Maybe I should have read between the lines better. Or read the lines better.
We seem to be being attacked by Shedim, who are thankfully all caged or dead, in addition to the insane merchants, who are thankfully not joined by their guards.
The map is absurdly shallow and has hit neither caverns nor magma, nor SMR. I hope to find magma.
Why are there beds in this room with no purpose? It's now a dorm/barracks. Oh, we have a barracks? Just a dorm, then.
What is this thing with the grates and the channelling and the rope?
Can we get a carbuncle's gem?
What are those trenches for? I will flood them somehow.
Why aren't we cutting wood of gathering plants, and why are the cage traps being destroyed? Oh yeah, that's why the merchants went cuckoo.
Clay and sand, yet no magma? Shame.
I think I'm ready to unpause. Where's GreatWyrm? Ah, asleep. Heh, his description is hilarious. Why do cave oysters fly? And how?

-----

Journal of GreatWyrmSteel, Miner and Overseer.
I spent my first hours in office asleep. I suppose I should keep a journal, so I know who to blame when things go wrong.
I start by remanaging things I see which are being managed wrongly. For instance, a kiln is being made. This will let us collect an endless resource and, once we find the blood of the earth, make limitless goods from it!
Trading commences. An exceptional electrum goblet buys us several berries, a couple metal ingots, a couple weapons, and a kestrel. The traders are pleased.

-----

I'd do more, but computer issues and needing to read up on this "Spider Control Module" prevent me...
Sig

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 30, 2012, 12:09:11 pm »

Sign me up for a turn.

(also, dwarf me as a <something> of Zalkor when possible, preferably swordsdwarf).
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8