Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Most annoying dwarf death  (Read 5622 times)

SiliconBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Most annoying dwarf death
« on: October 17, 2012, 10:20:57 pm »

What is/are the most annoying dwarf death/deaths you've had happen while playing?
I've had an instance involving two legendary miners (whom I'll call Urist McDolt and Urist McRockBrain because I can't remember their names) who died underground. I had been digging deep (not really deep, but deeper than I normally would) in the hope of discovering some valuable minerals, and these dwarves somehow got trapped in the lowest chamber they dug. I checked their status, and it said they were both unhappy and dehydrated. Despite being dehydrated, and there being lots of alcohol upstairs, they wouldn't go up the ramps they'd dug to get down there. I eventually got the messages "Urist McDolt has died from thirst" and "Urist McRockBrain has died from thirst." It was really annoying, because I had discovered moderately valuable minerals down there but my two miners had also died from terminal cases of Suicidal Idiocy (diagnosed using my prestigious e-doctorate in Dwarven Psychology).
Kat: "Melee dwarves, station here around this corner and wait for the Marksdwarves to arrive before engaging the GCS."
Urist McSwordsdwarf: "Fuck this shit, LEEEEEROOOOOYYYY nnnJEEEEENNNKIIIIINSSS"
Needless to say Urist gets webbed and bitten, then asphyxiates as his lungs shut down while his comrades perforate the GCS.

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
Re: Most annoying dwarf death
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 10:27:43 pm »

Your ramps did have support, right?  They need a solid wall adjacent to them or dwarves won't climb them.

My most hated stupid deaths are all the miners/engravers who tap magma and, instead of getting out of the way, apparently decide that today is a good day to die and stand there watching hot molten death pour towards them.  Morons.  I'd be more tolerant if they even tried to get away, but they just sit there.

SiliconBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 10:32:21 pm »

Your ramps did have support, right?  They need a solid wall adjacent to them or dwarves won't climb them.
Really? I didn't know that. That was partially my own fault, then.
Kat: "Melee dwarves, station here around this corner and wait for the Marksdwarves to arrive before engaging the GCS."
Urist McSwordsdwarf: "Fuck this shit, LEEEEEROOOOOYYYY nnnJEEEEENNNKIIIIINSSS"
Needless to say Urist gets webbed and bitten, then asphyxiates as his lungs shut down while his comrades perforate the GCS.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 10:54:38 pm »

My most hated stupid deaths are all the miners/engravers who tap magma and, instead of getting out of the way, apparently decide that today is a good day to die and stand there watching hot molten death pour towards them.  Morons.  I'd be more tolerant if they even tried to get away, but they just sit there.
This. Dwarf breaches magma. Dwarf decides to jack-off. Magma Breaches Dwarf.

Also unexplained civilian deaths. Construction collapse? Reasonable. Floor deconstructed underneath? It happens. Stuck in flooding Room? Sure, be carefuler in next lifetime. Flaming Child corpse in the middle of main staircase deep below ground? Dafuq.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

SuicideJunkie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 11:08:45 pm »

I'd just set up a magma carting operation, with a pump into a 1x1 room with drainage and a minecart to haul the magma up to surface forges.
I carefully watched the first two fillings to make sure everything was working right.
During the third filling, I got an ambush alert which snapped my view up to the surface.

By the time I scrolled back down after unpausing to let my military explode the goblins, the magma sea forge area was filled with smoke.
Took me a while to figure out what happened, but it seems the bloody pump chose that exact time to melt on me, and Doc Urist got incinerated.

darkgloomie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 12:13:45 am »

I flash-froze a miner while I was digging the river in winter to make a dam.

You see, I had dug some underground tiles the previous winter connected to the river, so there was some 7/7 tiles blocked by ice walls.

I dug them because I needed to empty that part...

Urist McMiner has been found dead, frozen!

This does give me an idea for a dwarfy trap, though. Not sure how doable it is, and need to change locations (possible a freezing biome with aquifers) but it's an idea all right.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 02:52:34 am »

Two different deaths that made me go "WTF!"

Dwarf leading an animal to the training area takes a "shortcut" through a pump area that is feeding a shower.  Somehow gets the animal stuck in the channel dug into the aquifer and stays there and dehydrates (and dies) without ever abandoning the job and animal. 

Second was the message that "dwarf so-and-so has been missing for a week".  Turns out to be a dwarven child - who somehow managed to fall down the fort's garbage chute, and then was knocked unconscious by having garbage and old clothing tossed on him.  There's an access door on the lower level - but it's locked to keep the children and pets out of it...   :-\

The magma melting a miner thing is fairly common.  The one trick is to make sure the miner has another object designated to dig, therefore they delay a bit less time before going moving to the next job.  The other way is to work higher up in the Magma Sea and see if you can find an edge so that you can make the final connection by channeling the edge of the Magma Sea from the level above.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 03:14:33 am »

As irritating as the dwarf getting boiled alive by magma is.. I usually just draft a nobody from the huddled masses, burrow him, and have them smooth and carve a fortification in a diagonal wall with another job for him upstairs. If he lives, good. If not, a slab is waiting for the memorial to some guy noone knew.

The ones that irritate me the most though,  are when some idiotdecides to go into the immortal housing to grab a rock, opening the door that prevents leaks, and flooding half the stack with magna and smoke from his retarded self frying. Or when someone decides they don't want to run directly into the fort, following the emergency burrow instructions, and runs right into an ambush/zombie/thralling cloud.

Adventurer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 04:20:15 am »

I dug a channel for a well and the miner got caught in there and started running at the dead end from the water, i quickly got him to dig out a stair but the idiot dug it out and then kept running from the water and drowned.  ::)

C27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2012, 05:25:31 am »

You have no idea how many dwarves I have lost to the ice when trying to dig through freezing aquifers.

-shudder-

No idea.
Gold is for the mistress– silver for the maid–
Copper for the craftsman, cunning at his trade.
‘Good!’ said the Baron, sitting in his hall,
‘But iron– cold iron– is ruler of them all’.

Kelroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2012, 05:37:14 am »

While sparring, one of my brave dwarves dodged and fell inside a murky pool that was conveniently situated near the training ground.
Therian Saga - In-game Name: Isgaroth

Seraphim342

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Cum Laude
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2012, 05:54:15 am »

Yes... magma breaching.  I just select a redshirt for that now because I know there's about a 25% survival rate no matter what you do. 

Two of my more WTF ones were during goblin ambushes/sieges.  Ambush came, and one of my masons was on the bridge leading into my walled-in courtyard.  I hit the panic button to burrow all my civvies inside, and he starts heading into the fort.  Suddenly, a goblin bowman takes a shot at him, he turns around, runs back across the bridge, and leads the gobbos on a merry chase around the map while my military tries to catch up and save his sorry ass.  Since they were fairly low-skilled, they couldn't keep up and he eventually got backed into the map corner and killed 20 seconds before my military caught up and murdered all the gobbos. 

Second one was the same fort, also with a mason.  Siege showed up that was too big for my military to handle, so I burrowed all my dwarves inside and hit the lever to close off my main entrance bridge.  This mason, for some reason, goes running out of the fort, ignoring the burrow, and runs onto the bridge as it's raising.  Gets dwarf-a-pulted backwards and explodes into finely-minced dwarf parts in my refuse pile.  At least that saved some cleanup...

At this point, I keep all dwarves except woodcutters and military burrowed inside the courtyard.  Had some Giant War Lions I wanted to pasture out in the courtyard to handle ambushes.  Set them all to pasture, everything seems fine, then a dwarf dies of thirst.  Did some science, and apparently the lion was standing on a tile adjacent to the burrow, so the dwarf reached him but couldn't move him, so he just stood there at the edge of the burrow until he expired.  As an added bonus, the lion's rooted in place there permanently, apparently.  Also, if I recall correctly, this dwarf was also a mason. 

Damned masons. 

I like to think that on the other side of the world a human is walking on the beach, notices the water level suddenly drop twenty feet, and whispers "fucking dwarves."

"The cows seem to lose bowel control when launched... I consider this a feature."

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2012, 06:21:03 am »

The most annoying deaths are when the nobles decide they need something ridiculus done, like a platinum toy boat. You craft all the platinum you can but randomly not enough platinum toy boats are done in time. Then when your almost legendary armorsmith and weaponssmith gets put into jail because he "injured the noble". The then starves or thirsts to death in the jail because no one cares to feed him and the stockpiles in the jail are not filled quickly enough.

Luckily most of these random events seem to have stopped when toady fixed most of the nobles most silly demands.

Ive also had an extremely deadly tantrum spiral in a fort where loads of dwarves where frozen to death, not many dwarves cared until I dug up seven corpses in the ice. Then 3/4 of the dwarves went instantly red and tantrumed on a monthly basis, which happened to start at the critical moment when the dwarven traders came. The diplomat ended up killed and the fort died because I didnt get any trees to replace the massive amount of beds destroyed by random tantrums. Its not a single death but imo clearly annoying that the appearance of few corpses would turn half of the fort insane within 2 months.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

ExecratedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2012, 07:25:11 am »

My dumbest deaths are always babies. Some how they end up at the bottoms of murky pools. I'm pretty sure my dwarves are actually from Imperial China, and since they lack the Yangtze, they're just tossing their daughters into the nearest water source. Further proof is the thought they get: "Urist Chiang has been ecstatic to have dumped a useless daughter lately."

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2012, 07:39:06 am »

Due to my lack of significant mega projects, my dwarves die to attacks far more frequently than anything else.  I find it pretty annoying when a useful civilian (such as my chief medical dwarf) wanders outside to haul a cut log inside, only to mee a steel dagger in his brain.  Or a couple of crossbows and maces.  Or a whip.  Yeah, I should disable hauling labors on useful dwarves, but I can never remember to.

Losing soldiers to cheap shots is also a big one.  Especially bronze daggers through steel helmets and brains.  Or any sort of whip through a steel helmet and brain.

As for something the dwarves do to themselves, it's invariably getting trapped somewhere and dying of thirst.  The dwarves can telepathically sense a sock dropped across the map, but they can't shout for help that they're dying from lack of booze.  I haven't had this happen recently, fortunately, but it is very annoying when it happens.
Through pain, I find wisdom.
Pages: [1] 2