Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17

Author Topic: Arena V: continuing where Arena IV left off  (Read 8726 times)

joemoben

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arena V: continuing where Arena IV left off
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2012, 05:23:45 pm »

Argh, so many questions. Does the dragon leather in game auto add the boost or should I put it on my character sheet? Does the boost kick in only when you have the full set? So much I need to know!
Something about this game makes me wonder why God lets it exist.
Say, if you give birth on a ranch and then murder your baby will a corpse drop be guaranteed?

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2012, 04:17:33 pm »

Oookay, so:

Joemoben: The starting END is 5. You can assign 20 points in addition to this, and you can't go over 10 this way, only if you pay your ass off (150/point). Either way, you still have five more stat points to spend. Also, you start with TWO gladiators, so feel free to enlist another one. Of course if you don't change the equipment, the second one will have to start with copper weaponry, since you used all your gold on Klick Klack.
Also, the AGI boost applies only if you have the full set, but you DO get armor bonus, of course only with body parts covered by the armor, so if somebody slashes your leg, even an adamantine beastplate won't help you. Of course, you can only equip one piece of armor to one of your gladiators, just write it on your character sheet (see the existing ones for reference), and you'll have it during the battle.

Mesor: Shit, that mage is going to kick some serious ass in the long run. I may have to balance magic in the future, we'll see how it turns out.

Tophat: Same thing with the second gladiator (and stats) as Joemoben. I might have clarify these things a bit, I took over Tomio's starting posts more or less word for word. And yes, it's possible to buy equipment at the start.
Shadytorments, a Masterwork DF community fort - RESTARTED as Newtorments!

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2012, 04:21:55 pm »

Is that 20 points each or 20 points between 2 gladiators?
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2012, 04:22:40 pm »

I'll fight two kobold thieves.

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2012, 04:24:07 pm »

(( Hah that mage is build largely as a support fighter to keep my gladiators and commander fuzzy boots ( Yes my giant man eating wolf is called commander fuzzy boots, deal with it ) in the fighting. Wait until you see what the next gladiator I'm going to buy is but I need something else first. ))
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 06:19:13 pm by mesor »

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2012, 06:33:43 pm »

20 each.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2012, 03:41:41 am »

20 each.
Thanks. Sheet updated.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2012, 07:07:13 am »

Spoiler: My own fight (click to show/hide)
That's 500 hard-earned gold.

Spoiler: Mesor's fight (click to show/hide)
You gain 350 gold for the killed batman and knight, but both Radaghast and Celeborn start the next fight with half HP, or sit the next one out completely.

Spoiler: Tophat's fight (click to show/hide)
You gain 40 gold. This should have been easier, you got extremely bad rolls.

Spoiler: Tsuchigumo's fight (click to show/hide)
You gain 100 gold, you lucky double-critical bastard.

You easily gain 80 gold.

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2012, 07:11:17 am »

I use my winnings to buy Hydra leather leggings for Ishar, level up lightning for Amroth, and boost Sir's END to 8.

Spoiler: My team (click to show/hide)

I will try to go for the special without any assistance from the other teams. All I should need are some luckier lightning strikes...

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2012, 10:41:51 am »

I'll take 5 tigers for my whole group.
I'll buy level 2 multi heal for Radaghast ( 100 )
I'll buy copper armor for my Alpha. ( 100 )
I'll upgrade Celeborns claws from bronze to steel ( 200 )
30 gold remaining.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

(( Huh doing the same challenge over? ))
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 09:52:45 am by mesor »

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2012, 11:48:33 am »

(( Huh doing the same challenge over? ))
I never did it before, I went for a knight and berserker.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2012, 11:50:57 am »

Moar fighting!

I want to fight two direwolves.

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2012, 12:01:10 pm »

(( Meant doing it over in general not you in specific. Although it does make the alpha a bit less special if anybody who has not done the challenge can go and do it now and get one as well especially when the older teams will more then likely shred a group of dire wolves without a problem unless they get horrible rolls. ))
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 12:14:04 pm by mesor »

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2012, 01:01:47 pm »

I intend to change the special to something more... managable for new teams, giving them a chance to catch up a bit.

Also, I want to revisit the idea of player vs player combat, but I don't know how I should determine the winnings. I don't want to calculate the total worth of each team (equipment, spells, stats, pets, whatnot), and currently held gold fluctuates too much, and tends not to represent a team's strength at all. I suppose we could simply do an X gold per gladiator syste, but again, that's not fair, since Sanya and Nikolai could wipe the floor with most three-men teams, so valuing them LESS is not exactly logical.
Or I could just say a bullshit, approximate number. Currently, I think beating Mesor's team would be worth around 500, and beating newcomers like Tophat could be around 150.

Or we could introduce a betting system. If you have the gold, you can offer it up as a reward if somebody manages to beat you. If you win, you get double from the arena administration. If you lose, the challenger gets your offered gold. The twist would be that you can put the gold up for grabs, and fight a normal round, but it would take the action of the challenger to fight. Confident (but clever) gladiators could earn much this way, for example:
-A bets 500 gold that he can take on anyone, fights X monsters, gets 200 gold
-B fights A and loses, A gets 500 gold
-C fights A and loses, A gets another 500 gold
-D fights A and wins, A loses 500, D gets 500
-Sum: A got 700 gold, D got 500, B and C got jack shit.
Of course, it would be possible to bet on other players. Perhaps even against monsters, and it would be up to the announcer (me) to determine the odds. For example, betting on a fight with Elfcollaborator against a kobold is not possible (no-brainer), Tsuchigumo against an ogre would be 1:1, my team against a roc would be 1:4, Mesor against two berserkers would be 1:0.5, things like that.

How do you like that?
Another thing: I want to do something about animal training, warbeasts are not really useful against bigger or armored opponent right now. I'll figure something out soon, but if you have any suggestions, I'm up for anything at this point. Rangers need a serious buff as well, for similar reasons. There aren't many options to make them stronger now, aside from leveling up agility, and using special arrows. Actually, I don't have ANY idea how to make this work, so any input about rangers would be much appreciated.

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2012, 01:19:27 pm »

Bows is simple.
Just use different types of bows, same upgrade system as the close range weapons.

You've got hunting bow, recurve bow, long bow, compound bow.
Just put them in any order you like and then each one is stronger just like the material system for other weapons.

War beasts you could either give them special training to aim for weak or points or use basic tactics.
Like my Alpha could have gone for the knights head and ripped off the helmet with his mouth allowing my ranger to aim for a headshot.
Or it could of gone for the knee joint and just crushed the armor in to cripple a leg.
Or alternatively you could just allow people to buy upgrades like with my Alpha you could pull some teeth and replace them with sharper metal teeth or do the same with claws to allow it to penetrate armor.
Or give it permanent buffs like increased strength or speed and just say it's been enhanced with magic.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 01:23:53 pm by mesor »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17