Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Jungle Gyms  (Read 3442 times)

CorruptUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Jungle Gyms
« on: October 17, 2012, 10:47:32 am »

Yesterday, Toady posted this:

"You can grab hold of tiles in flight now, either after a jump or a fall. The success rate depends on how fast you are going, and I'm sure it'll depend on attributes and any relevant skills, although I'm not sure I've got a relevant skill named yet. I managed to jump between two far apart branches of a tree, then between trees, and I jumped along a rough wall, which seems like it should be quite dangerous."

The best name I can think of for that skill would be Acrobatics.  That or Parkour.

Now the question is, how do we train our Dwarves in the skill?  I suggest a new room designation, the "Jungle Gym".  Dwarves can construct tightropes, handholds on walls to make them easier to climb, nets to climb, swings to play in, and so forth.  Let the children play there all day, it'll be great fun.  Or if you are the type that believes in the Spartan Way and built your Jungle Gym over a volcano, Fun.  Make a boot camp course, with the Militia Commander overseeing the grunts.  Inexperienced Dwarves and children can fall a short distance, scraping their knees and bruising their elbows, giving your diagnosticians, wound dressers and rarely, bone doctors plenty of minor things to do.

The designation would come from the burrow system, since we do not as yet have a way to make 3d room designations.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 10:58:28 am by CorruptUser »

dizzyelk

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes kittens for their delicious roasts.
    • View Profile
Re: Jungle Gyms
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 11:38:17 am »

I don't know about bone doctors being involved too rarely, the main reason why jungle gyms and monkey bars disappeared from playgrounds is because its rather easy to break bones on them.
Dwarf Fortress - Bringing out the evil in people since 2006.
Somehow, that fills me more with dread than anticipation.  It's like being told that someone's exhuming your favorite grandparent and they're going to try to make her into a cyborg stripper.

Revanchist

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you for helping us help you help us all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 02:38:32 pm »

Still, though, the idea is good. Being able to condition your dwarves... I hope it's possible to use wood. I'd show the elven diplomat that I DO think of the children.
Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope... Love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticule, and together, achieving a singular purpose against statistically long odds."

People love a happy ending. So every episode, I will explain once again that I don't like people. And then Mal will shoot someone. Someone we like. And their puppy.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 04:04:10 pm »

This gives me the vision of dare devil dwarves.
If left unattended, dare devil dwarves will try to practice their climbing/acrobatics or try to find the highest point on your map. This might sometimes end up with a dead dwarf due to a misstep or to a dwarf that can make his way across trees and uneven territory much more quickly than normal dwarves.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Revanchist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 06:03:37 pm »

Urist McDaredevil cancels make cheese: practicing parkour
Urist McDaredevil cancels practice parkour: unconcious
(...)
Urist McDaredevil has been missing for a week.

"Damn, he was my best cheesemaker"
or
"I just got this red suit... maybe he should've had working eyes..."
Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope... Love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticule, and together, achieving a singular purpose against statistically long odds."

People love a happy ending. So every episode, I will explain once again that I don't like people. And then Mal will shoot someone. Someone we like. And their puppy.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 06:08:36 pm »

Sounds like Fun. Not like something that dwarves would do, though.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

CorruptUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 06:54:18 pm »

Making the Jungle Gym out of wood gives the Dwarves a chance of getting a splinter based on the quality of the gym.  A minor injury healed with the surgery skill, but if left untreated could become infected.  A metal jungle gym, in freezing temperatures, has the chance of a dwarf getting his tongue stuck.  No treatment needed, but it's a bad thought.  Using the climbing rope has a chance of rope-burn, bruising the skin of the hands and giving a bad thought, though it has a chance of improving the Toughness atribute.  Using the course in general has the good thought of 'enjoyed vigorous exercise', but generally speaking, the good thoughts don't outweigh the bad until the dwarf has about Competent skill in Acrobatics.

It would vary somewhat by the dwarf's personality, and perhaps personal attributes; corpulent dwarves may find less enjoyment from the constant teasing from the other dwarves.  I'm not sure we should include dodgeball, though I often have a room dedicated to dodgespear anyway.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 06:59:17 pm by CorruptUser »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, 09:35:46 pm »

Why would dwarves be holding the bars with their tounges?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

CorruptUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2012, 10:10:34 pm »

Not holding; licking.  Because the other dwarf children dared them to.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2012, 10:22:01 pm »

It sounds stupid.
Sig

CorruptUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2012, 10:30:41 pm »

Fine they don't have to lick (was mainly a stupid dwarf joke as one of many injuries you could get in the Jungle Gym), but grabbing metal bars in freezing temperatures without mittens should piss off your dwarves.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2012, 06:42:21 am »

I think that should be the case for any material with a...low specific heat? Is that what I'm thinking if?
Sig

Revanchist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2012, 02:43:41 pm »

[SPEC_HEAT] controls how fast it changes temperature, I thought. You might be looking for [HOMEOTHERM] (the heat/lack thereof that it gives off)

Bytyan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2012, 05:24:04 pm »

Well, wood and rope can get just as cold as metal, but the reason why metal will freeze to your skin and rip it off is because it transfers heat so well, letting it flash freeze flesh. It's not fun. Also, I'd rather see gyms with a variety of options including agility  training in jungle gyms to strength training is some form to toughness training with other dwarves abusing each other.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2012, 05:39:58 pm »

[SPEC_HEAT] controls how fast it changes temperature, I thought. You might be looking for [HOMEOTHERM] (the heat/lack thereof that it gives off)
Nope, specific heat was what I was looking for. It means metal wicks heat away from people quickly. HOMEOTHERM is only for creatures, anyway.
Sig
Pages: [1] 2 3