Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Reminder: Gates!  (Read 3048 times)

ExecratedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Reminder: Gates!
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2012, 08:37:36 am »

Oh, my apologies. I thought this was the suggestion forum. I didn't realize I was talking to the people in charge of Dwarf Fortress development. Thanks for clearing that up.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2012, 08:48:21 am »

Oh, my apologies. I thought this was the suggestion forum. I didn't realize I was talking to the people in charge of Dwarf Fortress development. Thanks for clearing that up.

Why so serious?

Vrky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2012, 10:57:05 am »

Dwarf fortress tries to be a more or less realistic game, set in a fantasy environement. So it takes clearly fantastical elements, and allows those to react by clearly defined rules of nature.

So, I say that we need to put this in, but players should not complain when their massive gate is easily smashed in by a giant, or requires more than 3 times the materials as a small one. All things should have good and bad sides. To illustrate it with a quote:
A game where there's one action that is clearly superior is not a game, but a puzzle
So let people build their gates, and let their dwarves admire them, and let them be brutally slaughtered when the goblins come.

This!
It's not about realism or fantasy, it's about consistency of rules. Large gates would be easier to destroy than small ones. But if you need to let collosus in your fort or build elephants stables (!!) in your fort, then big gates are a must.
I could definitely see large gates leading into entrance area, where depots and maybe elephant stables/monster pens would be located, and then small and fortified gates would lead to inner fort. Big gates would impress visitors and give dwarves a happy thought, but shouldn't be relied to whitstand siege.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2012, 11:25:41 am »

Annnnd the thread's over.

Or is it?

As far as I can see DF is in great parts doing huge and needlessly complicated stuff while adhering strictly to "Magic A is Magic A". It's not entirely about realism, but about consistency; let us have huge gates, but make them as expensive and impractical as they would realistically be. That should satisfy both builders and simulationists.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Revanchist

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you for helping us help you help us all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2012, 11:53:28 am »

I think that pointlessly overcomplicated and expensive assemblies are a core part of the dwarven spirit.
Remember the Dwarven Calculator? That had no purpose other than "it was fun", unless I missed something. Yet it got immense praise.
Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope... Love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticule, and together, achieving a singular purpose against statistically long odds."

People love a happy ending. So every episode, I will explain once again that I don't like people. And then Mal will shoot someone. Someone we like. And their puppy.

ExecratedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2012, 12:58:49 pm »

Exactly people. Arguing something shouldn't be in the game because its historically inaccurate is silly. And arguing that it should be implemented only in a manner that makes using them detrimental is mean-spirited. I like this game because it stays true to the reality in which its rooted. Toady has done a great job maintaining continuity and I don't see how gates would change that.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2012, 04:16:31 pm »

[...] and I don't see how gates would change that.
No! They're the beginning of the end! The thin end of the wedge! The gates of DOOM!
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

ExecratedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2012, 05:20:06 pm »

No! They're the beginning of the end! The thin end of the wedge! The gates of DOOM!

So it would appear. Though I think the main issue is just that some people enjoy shooting down the ideas of others. Gates and other architectural constructions would be a great addition to later gameplay. I mean there are mods that actually destroy stones to prevent build-up. Why not instead find a use for them? A gateway 5x5x3 could cost 25 blocks plus materials for the portcullis. It'd be awesome to have dwarves entering my fort immediately gain a happy thought along the lines of: He has been inspired by a majestic arch recently. He was been awed by a grand entrance. He has been impressed by a skillfully designed gateway lately.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2012, 09:33:51 pm »

Making a huge calculator is difficult.
Making a huge door won't be.

There's a difference between a megaproject and something that the game specifically has rules for. Is building a window out of polished stones a megaproject?

-----

I'm not against the idea, but as long as drawbridges can act as placeholders and there's more interesting fruit to pick--some of which, e.g. moving fortress parts, will make it easier to make and more interesting and worthwhile-it can wait.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Revanchist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2012, 10:28:39 pm »

Making a huge calculator is difficult.
Making a huge door won't be.

There's a difference between a megaproject and something that the game specifically has rules for. Is building a window out of polished stones a megaproject?

-----

I'm not against the idea, but as long as drawbridges can act as placeholders and there's more interesting fruit to pick--some of which, e.g. moving fortress parts, will make it easier to make and more interesting and worthwhile-it can wait.

No... and you have a point. Yet in some situations many simple things can become projects. Other than creative ways of killing nobles. Crystal glass windows without many rock crystal can be a challenge, but some people here might get off onenjoy the difficulty.

My point being, if Toady is planning on adding them, why argue about putting them in?
Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope... Love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticule, and together, achieving a singular purpose against statistically long odds."

People love a happy ending. So every episode, I will explain once again that I don't like people. And then Mal will shoot someone. Someone we like. And their puppy.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2012, 10:36:29 pm »

You're preaching to the choir.

Problem is, once a debate gets going someone's going to disagree with my "common-sense" notions...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Bytyan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2012, 02:09:59 am »

Huge doors make perfect sense when you take into account the other fantasies of the setting. Dwarves have near exclusive access to 1-3 untapped ecosystems loaded with resources ripe for plundering, letting them better equip themselves for k-selection, and they measure the value of a settlement almost solely on the wealth it produces and displays. A city might become capital in 10 years or less with fewer than one twentieth the population of the current capital simply by exporting enough wealth.  Dwarves tend to suffer techno worship, developing the finest and most complicated traps and alloys while neglecting simple and effective weapons that can be produced outside the dwarven traditional image. High fantasy dwarves are haughty and distant, perfectly willing to neglect the other races if they can be certain they are better than them. Or they tend to be. I always thought of df as more low fantasy then high. What better show of superiority then a bronze door that would take a giant to close, and a simple wooden ram to open?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2012, 10:47:39 am »

So it would appear. Though I think the main issue is just that some people enjoy shooting down the ideas of others. Gates and other architectural constructions would be a great addition to later gameplay. I mean there are mods that actually destroy stones to prevent build-up. Why not instead find a use for them? A gateway 5x5x3 could cost 25 blocks plus materials for the portcullis. It'd be awesome to have dwarves entering my fort immediately gain a happy thought along the lines of: He has been inspired by a majestic arch recently. He was been awed by a grand entrance. He has been impressed by a skillfully designed gateway lately.
The human merchant has been intimidated by a massive portecullis recently...

dizzyelk

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes kittens for their delicious roasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2012, 12:25:48 pm »

Plus, with moving fortress parts, you could build a wall that swings shut, or drops down, and make a gate your own self, which would be a better way to do it IMO.
Dwarf Fortress - Bringing out the evil in people since 2006.
Somehow, that fills me more with dread than anticipation.  It's like being told that someone's exhuming your favorite grandparent and they're going to try to make her into a cyborg stripper.

Revanchist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2012, 05:15:21 pm »

So are we agreeing to save these for the moving fortress arc? That way Toady can tackle a mountain when he's ready to.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4