Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Reminder: Gates!  (Read 3040 times)

Alu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Reminder: Gates!
« on: October 17, 2012, 06:19:38 am »

I know, this has been suggested more then once before (years ago) and it was well-recieved, but most people seem to have forgotten about it.

Doesn't it bother you, that you either use a drawbridge as a gate or small doors like to some random shack? This is not worthy of your fortress! Don't you want to display the true skill of craftsdwarfship?
You need Gates! Several Z-Levels high, more than just two tiles wide and thick enough to withstand a swing of a bronze golem (depending on the material?)

And how about the gate-parts are built in pairs in workshops (depending on the material), so there is a possibility of artifact gates?

So yes, Gates! They rock! Vote for them!

artwork by jordangrimmer
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 12:43:40 pm by Alu »
"He admired a wonderful Trap lately"

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
Re: Reminder: Gates!
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 09:32:39 am »

I may have a vote to spare after the next update (though we shouldn't over-estimate their influence). Wouldn't it be better to push for dwarves having the ability to appreciate multiple z-levels in general, which would include multi-level structures like gates but also high ceilings and make possible the designation of rooms across storeys?

Revanchist

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you for helping us help you help us all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 02:41:03 pm »

That would deter those mica fortifications....
Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope... Love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticule, and together, achieving a singular purpose against statistically long odds."

People love a happy ending. So every episode, I will explain once again that I don't like people. And then Mal will shoot someone. Someone we like. And their puppy.

Sprin

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Sprin Dragon, Master of Madness!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 04:16:32 pm »

We have that but its called a wall "grate"...
Quote from: Karnewarrior
HOW DID YOU KNOW I WAS LOOKING UP RULE 34 OF D*CKS?
Sprin is certifiably insane, but there is no denying his brilliance.

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 05:31:19 am »

I agree. We need proper gates. What we use now is just a poor spaceholder.

Escapism

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 06:17:20 am »

You could have a body-part system for gates, so that damage during sieging can be represented.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 06:42:50 am »

...What do we have?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 07:43:59 am »

...What do we have?
Well, now that I think about it, drawbridge is actually very appropriate when there's a moat. Without a moat, drawbridge seems silly to me.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 07:47:37 am »

Can't you just link several doors to a lever, or use floodgates to simulate a gate? I mean we DO have poor substitutes for this now. Any kind of massive gate will have to wait until the 'moving fortress' update Toady has mentioned several times, which will include things like elevators/portcullis/etc

Alu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2012, 10:33:36 am »

Can't you just link several doors to a lever, or use floodgates to simulate a gate? I mean we DO have poor substitutes for this now. Any kind of massive gate will have to wait until the 'moving fortress' update Toady has mentioned several times, which will include things like elevators/portcullis/etc

It'd still just be one tile high, also, you can't place more than two doors next to each other. And I think, even if it worked, this wouldn't make an appropriate door.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 10:42:35 am by Alu »
"He admired a wonderful Trap lately"

Revanchist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2012, 02:30:20 pm »

Apparently caravans cannot travel through triple-door assemblies.
Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope... Love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticule, and together, achieving a singular purpose against statistically long odds."

People love a happy ending. So every episode, I will explain once again that I don't like people. And then Mal will shoot someone. Someone we like. And their puppy.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2012, 05:52:57 pm »

It'd still just be one tile high, also, you can't place more than two doors next to each other. And I think, even if it worked, this wouldn't make an appropriate door.
Using a couple of wall-deconstruction bugs, you could actually get a 2󫶛 door gate, if you made about 56 doors and mechanisms.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Revanchist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2012, 11:17:55 pm »

This is undwarven, but why do we need extravagant entrances? How would bigger entryways possibly benefit the lives of our alchoholic workers?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2012, 04:12:48 am »

This is undwarven, but why do we need extravagant entrances? How would bigger entryways possibly benefit the lives of our alchoholic workers?
Not now, but in the future when Toady fixes the size of tiles to a certain point, or allows dwarves to admire multiple z-level constructions.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2012, 08:35:38 am »

Actually, there are two sides of gates; historical and fictional.

Historically the gates (and gatehouses) weren't big, especially when looking at medieval Europe. In fact, the gates were usually made as compact as possible, without hindering the daily passage of people, to make it easier to defend against siege. The actual gateway wasn't tall, just a bit higher than what we consider a normal height of big room today. Above that, in separate floor, were the stations for archers, watchers and so on.

In fiction the gates are considered as big, crafty and decorative passages, just like in the picture of OP. In fiction the fact of how functional the gate is doesn't matter that much as long as it's huge and representative.

If Toady wan'ts to go with the historical route then there isn't much that needs to be added; perhaps a door -like furniture that is three tiles wide so that caravan can get through it. If he decides to go with fictional style, then only the sky is a limit of what can be added.
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."
Pages: [1] 2 3 4