Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: KINGDOM OF LOATHING, AN ADVENTURER IS YOU!  (Read 3106 times)

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
KINGDOM OF LOATHING, AN ADVENTURER IS YOU!
« on: October 16, 2012, 08:18:43 pm »

Kingdom of Loathing is a satirical browser RPG, full of references to pop culture and other silliness.
You can be a Seal Clubber, a Turtle Tamer, a Pastamancer, a Sauceorer, a Disco Bandit, or an Accordian Thief.
It works with an adventure system. You can fight 1 monster, or do other stuff with a currency called "adventures", which you can gain by drinking booze and eating food. (Tip, as soon as you finish the tutorial, go to options, and turn on fullness meter. You can't eat or drink anymore past 15 fullness/drunkenness, and you're too drunk to adventure at 15 drunkenness.)
Once you make it to Seaside Town, make it to level 3 and go to the Clan Hall, and search "Adventurers, Adventurers, Yeah."

That's my clan. Enjoy.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
Re: KINGDOM OF LOATHING, AN ADVENTURER IS YOU!
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 08:27:05 pm »

Oh god this game.
I remember this one.
Oh why, WHY must you have brought this here.
That being said, this game is absolutely dwarven!
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 05:31:01 pm »

Hi guys, just thought I'd pop in.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 05:40:06 pm »

Probably the most irritating MMO I've ever played. Actively hostile to new players, to boot. Avoid.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 05:53:33 pm »

Probably the most irritating MMO I've ever played. Actively hostile to new players, to boot. Avoid.

Huh, really?

Nicest people online I've seen...

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 05:54:23 pm »

You might have just come on a bad day. I've been playing off and on since 05 and haven't seen any of this active hostility. Maybe some jokes thrown around, but generally I see people helping the newbies.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 09:03:56 pm »

Yeah I've never had any issues myself.

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 06:26:02 am »

That's pretty unfair, as I expect you formed this opinion years and years ago. They have actually been revamping all the main quests to make them a lot better and clearer for new players. I think they are up to the level 9 quest now.

I've been playing this game off and on for a few years, but I fell mostly into off when the people making the game separated all the video games talk from their radio shows into a whole new podcast. (which is called Video Games Hot Dog, if someone was wondering)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 06:33:53 am by LASD »

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 09:16:12 am »

I played about a year and a half ago. What made me quit was the amount of stuff that's just unfeasible for new players. Like the huge multi-part class quest, for one. I got auto-killed a few times, then gave up and looked up a guide, which told me I needed to beat the game several times as several classes before I could hope to attempt it.

It's the same as EVE online and its ilk. Established players have loads of resources, while newbies play in a pile of crap with some sticks. I think anyone thinking about playing it should know just how far behind they'll be.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2012, 09:50:10 am »

I played about a year and a half ago. What made me quit was the amount of stuff that's just unfeasible for new players. Like the huge multi-part class quest, for one. I got auto-killed a few times, then gave up and looked up a guide, which told me I needed to beat the game several times as several classes before I could hope to attempt it.

That would be the fault of the person making the guide. None of the class quests need any permed skills at all to be beatable. I guess you did the Seal Clubber quest, which is a pain in the ass with the massive mama seals, but you can buff your stats to ridiculous levels for a limited time with only a few thousand meat. That makes pretty much anything pretty easily beatable. Tomato juice of powerful power is a great thing to start with. And here's a lot more to go on (some of them are cheap, some not, but it just takes 5 minutes of mall research to figure it out and get them)

I did all the class quests back to back starting from ascension 3 or something, when I had only permed skills that are absolutely useless for that kind of thing like Cocktailcrafting and extra MP or something. The person making the guide might've had a bad attitude against new players, but that doesn't mean the game has.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 09:52:50 am by LASD »

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2012, 09:57:05 am »

The most unhelpful I've seen the players, at least in /newbie (only chat I'm ever in), is telling people that they have to kill the hermit to do whatever they're asking help for.

Of course, that was also usually me, and was over a year ago. I do apologize, if that is the case!

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2012, 11:38:28 am »

Man. Sometimes I want to get back to this. But my issue is it's been a long time, and my guy is very close to ascending. But. I have about a thousand items in my inventory. And a bunch of quests. And I don't remember what I am doing. It's too confusing.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2012, 11:42:33 am »

That's where I'm at. Luckily my quest log reminded me that I'm on the Mysterious Island quest, and gunning for the Silver Wossname. Hopefully I don't screw it up, or I'd have fought 999 stinky hippies and 999 orc frat boys for nothing. Been doing that quest, technically, for over a year now, since I've been so inactive.

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2012, 02:45:04 pm »

Man. Sometimes I want to get back to this. But my issue is it's been a long time, and my guy is very close to ascending. But. I have about a thousand items in my inventory. And a bunch of quests. And I don't remember what I am doing. It's too confusing.

There's a reset ascension button now! So you can start over. If you start on a challenge path, you have less to worry about and if you start in hardcore, you have nothing to worry about, though that will also be pretty slow.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2012, 02:47:41 pm »

Yay. KoL thread.

My IGN's Kyratzes, gief m347 pl0x
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.
Pages: [1] 2