Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: How would Superpowers be detected/reacted to if they existed?  (Read 4471 times)

OREOSOME

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM.
    • View Profile
How would Superpowers be detected/reacted to if they existed?
« on: October 16, 2012, 06:06:50 pm »

If superpowers were real, how would someone know if they would have powers? for example, if someone was going to get Telepathy, one would expect them to have a few migranes before the power actually awakens. In addition, how would the public and the government respectively respond to people developing Superpowers?
Ow! How the fuck do eldritch abominations bitchslap people?
With our pimp tentacles, obviously.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
Re: How would Superpowers be detected/reacted to if they existed?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 06:10:17 pm »

The ability to instantly convert any currently visible colour into a hexadecimal 6-digit web code: hired by web design firm, has high salary.
My wooden badge was delicious.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 06:12:00 pm »

This is a vague question. You'd probably have to set some hard ground rules before getting a sufficient answer.

Are powers genetic? Well, just look at X-Men in that case.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

OREOSOME

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 06:17:14 pm »

This is a vague question. You'd probably have to set some hard ground rules before getting a sufficient answer.

Are powers genetic? Well, just look at X-Men in that case.
The powers could be genetic or not, but i was trying to go for something to the effect of:
Invisibility: User begins to become more and more Translucent, until fully invisible until the user is able to control it somehow. Governmental response: Either recruit all people with this power to espionage use, or otherwise "get rid of" them.

But yeah, it is a bit vague.
Ow! How the fuck do eldritch abominations bitchslap people?
With our pimp tentacles, obviously.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 06:21:30 pm »

How would the public and the government respectively respond to people developing Superpowers?
Companies - best thing ever, now buy my branded super products.
Public - :O
Science - YESSSSSSSSSSSS FUCK YOU THERMODYNAMICS
Government - This never happened. Please follow us Mr. Anderson...

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 06:24:33 pm »

I dunno. I think the invisible people would be too busy stalking their love interests to be of much use to anyone.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 06:36:40 pm »

Scientists would study it until they found out the mechanism, or at least the parameters, and it would eventually become something boring and commonplace (although potentially useful) that some people can do.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 06:38:56 pm »

I imagine if superpowers were 'real', they'd have some drawbacks. For example, the telepathy. A higher risk of crippling migraines / death by aneurysm may happen. :P

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 06:48:21 pm »

Scientists would study it until they found out the mechanism, or at least the parameters, and it would eventually become something boring and commonplace (although potentially useful) that some people can do.
Do you understand what happens when you give grown adults magnets?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2012, 06:49:49 pm »

Ok, maybe something kindof interesting and fun and commonplace.  Like when someone tells you they can juggle four balls with one hand or something.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2012, 07:45:51 pm »

Oh god.

I remember when my friends designed us all as superheroes... I became "Brainbox", telepath, telekinete, fountain of semi-useful knowledge.

Overuse of my skills caused crippling migraines.
My weakness was a lack of caffeine, because of my addiction.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2012, 07:58:08 pm »

Well, if things like super speed and/or super strength existed, Newton would be spinning in his grave fast enough to slow the Earth's rotation. How they'd manifest? Iunno, probably in a revelation-y manner. Like, some dude manages to catch something that fell really fast (or maybe launch it to orbit because he failed to grab it), or someone suddenly finds the strength to STOP A SPEEDING TRAIN LIKE A BULLET or something. Then people would be like "oh man you should dress in blue skintight suits and wear a huge cape!!" while the government would be like "bro we could use your powers for our bros so prepare for autopsy". That is, if you don't manage to wreck half the city by accident. I can't imagine it being easy to control super strength at first, as evidenced when Superman went all "world of cardboard" on us.

As for Superspeedbro, he'd probably cause sonic booms by flipping the bird, so everyone nearby gets blown off their feet. Or maybe Mr. Air Resistance will tell him that humans aren't very aerodynamic.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2012, 08:11:31 pm »

Do you understand what happens when you give grown adults magnets?
ICP?

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2012, 09:34:32 pm »

Super powers are real. Unfortunately, they are all lame.  One of mine is super procrastination.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2012, 09:35:26 pm »

I have the power of... Bisexuality! Boners for EVERYONE!
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.
Pages: [1] 2 3