Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stress.  (Read 738 times)

femmelf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Stress.
« on: October 16, 2012, 05:12:03 pm »

So i don't even know....

I hear every little thing that goes wrong and I tense up and overreact, with a slight freak out. That usually doesn't help (though thankfully none of them have been overly detrimental so far).

It's been pissing off my boyfriend lately. I don't know what to do or to tell him.

I also don't really know how to cope without stressing out.

He feels like an emotional crutch and like he's being used a bit for that. I have no idea what to do.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: Stress.
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 05:27:53 pm »

Hrm, lots of things that could cause this sort of thing. If you've any big, hefty stressors (like a very demanding job) that would likely be the cause.

I will note that your boyfriend being a bit of an emotional crutch isn't a bad thing. That sort of thing is part of relationships; to be there for each other. But if it's like, a big part of what you do together and/or very common, then it's a problem.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

femmelf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 05:36:55 pm »

I don't know. It might be a problem.

My life is not together at the moment, though I am really trying to make that happen....

What can I say? He listens to me and nobody else will very easily.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 05:40:06 pm »

You might want to find a couple more shoulders to lean on, then. Family or friends, perhaps?

Venting is healthy. Don't stop that. Just make sure you have proper outlets for it.
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 06:11:51 pm »

From a guy who has had a girlfriend with these issues....

He's probably thinking "man, there's NOTHING I can do for her about this."

And that's kind of the rub. I think guys tend to be willing to listen to problems and offer suggestions as long as it's something fixable, when they can provide advice that moves the issue forward. When it's not something they can actually help fix, they're at a loss for what to say or do after a certain point. They can listen, sure, but listening to the same problem/problems repeatedly with no end in sight does tend to wear down someone's empathy. They can offer insight and advice, sure. But when they end up giving the same advice over and over again and it doesn't make you feel any better....

Try this. Instead of approaching it as a "problem" you've got to share with him, approach it as "telling him about your day." Days are full of worries, tedium and frustration. He'll relate to that.

Not phrasing your issue to him as a "problem" sends the signal that you've got a handle on your issue and you're using him for exactly what he should be used for: someone to talk to and relate to. If you feel your anxiety/worry mounting and your "talking about my day" is turning into a rant.....just stop right there. Remind yourself that you're not looking for help, you're just looking to share your day's experience. He may sense you're not really letting it all out.....and then get REALLY interested in what your real problem is. Or maybe he'll go "Hrm, ok, I guess she's got things under control" and the relationship between the two of you can get back to a more balanced footing.

This isn't to say you shouldn't go to him when you have a real problem. But when everything is something you need to talk to him about to try and feel better...it can be hard for him to distinguish between big problems and little problems of your's.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 08:20:41 pm »

I wish I knew what to say. I've seen lots of friends go through something similar.

Maybe it might help a bit to try tell him that you're not upset with him for not having a solution, because it isn't his fault or something you expect him to fix. Your goals are probably different as far as what you expect. Like Nenjin said, the guy probably is trying to find a solution. You're trying to talk to someone about it to have a friend listen. This doesn't compute with most guys.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 08:25:50 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 08:30:28 pm »

I've seen both sides of the "sympathy vs advice" thing, and yeah, he's probably trying to figure out how to help.

Sometimes all I want is to be held and told "it's going to be okay." :( If you're like that too, just tell him so.