Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How Skills Work?  (Read 676 times)

Gedsaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How Skills Work?
« on: August 15, 2006, 03:09:00 am »

Ok, so I have some qestions about how exactly skills improve your performance in differnt areas.

1. Weapon skills.
A. Does it increase the damage you deal? How likely you are to hit a vital part of an opponents body? How often you get a counterstrike after a missed or blocked opponents attack?

2. Shield skill.
I take it that it probobly makes you better at blocking shots, but does it help you when you try to hit someone with your shield?

3. Armor skill.
Does it make your armor more likly to stop attacks? Does it encumber you less? What increses it?

4. Wrestling skill.
Does it help you doge attacks? Does it help you counterstrike? How does it affect your actual wrestling?

5. Ambushing skill.
Um. yeah, what does it do? the only thing I can think of is that somtimes people attack others from the side or from behind, is that what it does? and if so, how much does that help your attacks?

6. Fortress skills. (Crafting and non weapon professions)
I assume that they help your dwarfs make things faster and make things better? But I have to ask anyways.

7. Toughness and Agility.
Not really skills as such but they are on the same screen and seem to affect you in some way. So what does toughness and agility affect? (Both in adventure mode and fortress mode).

Well thats all the qestions I can think of about skills for now, but if I think of anymore I wont hessitate to ask.
   :)

Keep up the good work Toady!     :cool:

[ August 15, 2006: Message edited by: Gedsaro ]

[ August 15, 2006: Message edited by: Gedsaro ]

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
Re: How Skills Work?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2006, 04:33:00 am »

I think:

Weapon skill = better / more / faster attacks

Shield = Same as armor, but specalized to the shield.

Armor skill = better / more protection from armor or lessens armor's downsides (like a crappy movement speed)

Wrestling = Helps in melee combat, like when the character gets grabbed.

Ambushing = Sneaky attacks and the like, obviously.

Fortress Skills = You are correct. A "Legendary" (highest you can go, i believe) miner will dig so fast a 6x6 room (7x7 squares will collapse; this can't be stated enough) is finished in under 10-20 seconds.

Tough / Agile = Exactly what they say. Moves faster, and takes more damage before a limb completely dies.

Of course, Toady has all the answers...   :roll:

[ August 15, 2006: Message edited by: Mechanoid ]

Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2006, 04:56:00 am »

Weapon skill effects damage and hit chances, as well as parry chances.  I don't want to post any equations since they are subject to change.

I think counterstrike chance is determined by your general skill amount, the same thing that gives you attributes.  Part of the Combat Arc is to handle this more properly.

Yeah, shield skill should increase your bashing effectiveness with a shield.

Armor skill decreases the effective weight of armor in your inventory (both its effect on speed and attack rolls) and gives a chance to increase the blocking power against attacks.

Ambushing increases your chance of remaining undetected as you attempt to sneak and attack, but sneaking is very crappy right now, so it's hard to notice sometimes.

Yeah, fortress skills do that.

Agility governs many combat rolls and your maximum speed (though the speed system is weak now and should at least be divided into movement and attack speeds, outrunning lions by having one agility level is dumb).

Strength increases melee damage and the amount you can carry before your become slower and less able to strike.

Toughness increases damage resistance, improved exhaustion checks, stamina recovery rate, speed when parts are broken, time you can go without air and pain tolerance.

A lot of these might be fleshed out/separated a bit, and increases won't be linked to total skill gained so much in the future.  As you can do more in the game, other more mental attributes can be included, but they just... aren't important yet.

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Gedsaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2006, 04:35:00 pm »

Thanks for the info guys!   :)