Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mission on a slowdown.  (Read 1690 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mission on a slowdown.
« on: October 16, 2012, 10:20:35 am »

For the first time ever, I'm suffering actual FPS death, and it's in Adventure Mode.

Perhaps it's my own fault.  I embarked upon a were-beast's cave (after other successful campaigns against such kinds) that was also practically adjacent to a bandit camp.  On the large-scale map it's adjacent tiles, but it's within a handful of tiles of the smaller-scale Travelling map, too.  I arrived while V. Drowsy and as night approached, planning to either find a back area of the Werebeast cave to sleep in (ideally after disposing of said enemy) or surround myself with campfires for an open-air 'sanctuary'.

The beast being transformed (oh yeah, it had also just turned full moon), I went for the latter option and that night managed to get some sleep, but then had to ".", ".", "." through the rest as the cackling of the (non-flying) boogeypeople and doubtless all the other dangers stopped me from continuing the sleeping.  This also helped (though I believe I had it timed right) when the campfires started burning out before I was completely free of boogeybods, and I quickly set up a new circle of fires just before dawn broke...  That lasted all the next day and so far well it's into the next night.

I got a bit of additional (boogeyfree) daytime sleep anyway, in my new circle of flame, given I wasn't going to be disturbed by anyone much (in hindsight, bow-equipped bandits might have been a problem, but I ducked that one, it seems), and muched down on some of the prepared lion bits I'd acquired from a previous day's impromptu hunting session, although I've now used up all my water.

When I did spend the odd hour of daytime rest, punctuated by the occasional disturbance, it appears the were-beast (first in were-form, then back as Peasant) managed to chase bandits around, some of their belongings teleporting around the site as site-unloading/site-reloading occurred.  Along with the wildlife, the bandits and (possibly) the were-beast's human personae being around and preventing further sleeping/waiting/travel, or even re-entering the sneaking state, now that it is night I have cackling (though no visuals on those particular annoyances) making me "not feel safe".  And I'm still stuck within a ring of campfires that seems not to want to burn out.  (It's my first Adventurer in the latest version, and after a little incautious but probably fortuitous experimenting, the first Adventurer in a boogey-populated worldgen that has actually decided to (intentionally) spend hisher nights out in the wild, up until now (and, technically, still) in complete safety.

However... what with the Bandits and the (possibly) werebeast-person and the cackling and the general wildlife, each pres of "." to wait a turn takes an age to fulfil itself.  From a figure of hundreds, the single press will bring the figure down, down, through 80FPS, down to 40FPS, to 20, to below 10, and then, for up to several minutes I have "0 (0)" showing on the indicator, before apparently the waiting is finished (and apart from the flickering lights of the fires, which flicker ever slower in turn as well, but at least are additionally usefully in indicating when continuation is possible again, there is no on-screen movement at all in the gibbous-moonlit night-time visual area).   Daringly hitting "." several times in a row, and risking extinguishing of flame (to be followed by exsanguination of myself, no doubt) has DF 'locked up' for many more minutes at a time, as it jams several such slowed-down ticks together, all the while me either staring at the screen in mortal terror of my Adventurer or wandering off and back in (so far granted) hope that I'm not dead yet, by the time 'control' (what little I really have, given the circumstance) is returned to me.

I've never noticably had such a low FPS (single figures has been rare and exceptional) , and would never have actually expected it in Adventure mode.  Given everything happening 'locally', I'm not surprised that it is being depressed as the world actions act around me (beyond my vision, apparently), but the extreme nature of the slowdown eclipses anything that even a 200 dwarf (plus wildlife, plus invaders, plus flowing liquids) Fortress should be producing for me, on the self-same machine with the self-same version.  For all I know, the entire bandit camp is wrestling the werebeast (I've had "become enraged" messages for my outlaw target, when checking (a)nnouncements).  Doesn't help that I can't see it happening or follow the action.  (I'd prefer that one or other party doesn't destroy the other and deprive me of one of the local targets, I'm still trying to build up a rep and I'd really like them both to tally.)

I've a feeling I'm missing something I can do to break the deadlock.  I 'save skimmed'[1] so that I can return back to the last town visit I made and go ahead again, but apart from just generally trying out alternate approaches I don't really want to rewind time like that.  If I do, I think I'll approach the bandit camp, first (while having made sure I rested, just far enough away, and arrived just after daybreak itself), then pursue the were-creature (if remaining).  But a rewind isn't what I want to do, really.

Anyway, me not being so experienced with (this latest version's) Adventure mode... thoughts?  Persevere with the "."ing?  There's not even anything non-vegetative that I can throw my current load of lion teeth and bones at to break the boredom.

[1] i.e. made a copy of the saved directory, just before saving the current situation, at which point I save scummed a backup of the new save (in case I came up with a seemingly clever but apparently fatal idea that I felt I could justify reverting from, albeit that I haven't done either yet) and restarting to see if a whole-machine restart would help performance at all.

ff2

• Bay Watcher
  • The Occasional Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Mission on a slowdown.
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 02:06:40 pm »

1. DON"T SURROUND YOURSELF WITH CAMPFIRES IDIOT!
2. Even if you're not the one who killed it, if a quest target is dead then you can take all the credit.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 02:02:40 am »

First off, in response to our dear friend ff2:
1. It protects this 'idiot' from the swarms of bogeymen that would otherwise slaughter him.
2. That's irrelevant.

Now, to provide some actual 'help'. Um.
I've seen some FPS issues in adventurer mode myself, although this is usually when my computer is boiling over, so *maybe* if you were to turn your comp off for an hour or so, it would cool down enough to fix the FPS - assuming an overheated CPU is the issue.
Pressing "." constantly must be boring as hell. You could try doing some knapping, if the tile your adventurer is on has a rock. This would also slow your adventurer down, meaning that "."ing and knapping will take longer, and pass time faster in-game.
Other than that, I don't really know. I rarely suffer from FPS issues even in Dwarf mode, and only then once I've got about 150 dwarves and 50+ animals.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 02:26:54 am »

Might consider adjusting your gameplay to avoid the FPS slowdown then. Travel with soldiers or whatever to avoid dealing with bogeymen or plan your travels better to get everything done during the day. Hanging out around bandit camps (or other areas where creatures hang out like towns or carp-infested rivers) hurts your FPS, as the game will track them milling about even if they are not in view if they are loaded on your current cell.

Boogymen only hang out near towns, so it's not like you can't sleep until dawn in a house before raiding the nightcreature lair if it's not out in the wilderness somewhere.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 08:12:23 am »

Cheers for the advice.  Like I said, this is the first (modern) adventurer that I haven't totally retreated into friendly towns/whatever each and every night, to avoid night terrors, and having experimented for a number of nights I found that campfires around me served me well enough (if it hadn't, well, I wouldn't have tried any more).  It seems, until now, to have been both efficacious and lack any serious side-effects (apart from having to wait for a gap to die down before moving on again).

As to those Quest Targets I'm concerned about having 'lost', I just noticed (this morning, as I reloaded so I could press "." a few more times) that while the cave S has a TSK next to it, the bandit camp SW does not.  I suspect the 'master' I am seeking has died.  What I could have done is checked my Quest list to see if he's been added to the list of those I've got to report success with.

The machine I'm using isn't a particularly fast one (not dual core, so both physics and graphics threads are probably as effected by slowdown as each other, despite pretty much nothing but campfire-flickering, FPS read-out, etc, actually happening to the display... no wildlife or wilder-life wandering into view at all, even) but I've (incidentally, and unrelated) had it successfully running three separate videos simultaneously on-screen with no problems, when I wasn't actively playing DF. ;)  I also know that the fans can blow rather harder than they do when I'm 3D rendering on it.  However, I'll give it another switch-off.  I do tend to leave my machines running things, when I'm out of the house, and apart from the possibility of thermal stresses it'd probably be good to give this one a little downtime, rather than just the occasional reboot and check-up that I currently do to clear hypothetical memory gunk from the system. ;)

Knapping sounds an interesting solution.  Not sure if I've got a pair of unsharpened stones on me, though.  (And, have you noticed (ff2 won't have ;) ) that when you surround yourself with campfires, the "pick up <stone/sand> from here" job is no longer available, even if it was before, within the various fire-setting options?)  I do tend to pick some up stones (or sand) and use when necessary (my Peasant's throwing is of course second only to her sneaking, but with other combats progressing quite nicely thanks to some weasel-wrestling!  Fnar fnar...) so as not to slow down travel so much, and I don't know if I've got any left.

(I know I haven't any sand, because one idea I had was to throw sand onto the fire.  Well, it could have worked. :) )

Adjusting the gameplay is probably the answer, but only for future adventurers.  My peasant that I'm playing has started her embark in a village.  There were any number of civvies, including a nice cheesemaker who started her off with about a dozen quests (still working through some of them, but now also have some additional quests from the next village over), but I don't recall seeing any military 'faces' until one or two members of the bandit camp wandered by during the day, while I was sat behind my flame barrier.  Not that I could get close enough to them to talk, but I don't imagine they'd jump at the chance to join up with this average-build gal in a xrope reed dressx (or whatever it is), at least while their Master is still alive... (On the other hand, if he now isn't...  Well, I don't know, maybe worthy of a DF Suggestions, if not made/fulfilled already.)

Also, it's rather turned into an experiment to see if I could be a Ronin-like character, but I think I will gather some accomplices next opportunity.  If I like the look of them.  I've probably got enough reputation to also get some non-soldiers joining me now, as meat-shields, unless that's different from what I remember.

Come to think of it, I've not yet been to a settlement with shops, that I've discovered.  Given the state of my clothing (and lack of armour), perhaps when I've sorted out the cave/camp resident(s) I should head over to somewhere a bit less 'villagey' and trade a bit of butchered wildlife (and, once I've dealt with the bandits, some of their equipment).

I should have gone after wildlife and/or bandits first, I know, but I started off on a high-risk strategy of clearing out nearby werecreatures and vampires, first, neither of which yielded any tradeable possessions.  (Obviously the bug with the vampire trinkets has been sorted out.)  Perhaps if I'd embarked nearer a market-town I might have done differently, and also not living off lion brains and liver and the like. ;)

With boogymen being near towns... well, there were definitely some where I am, a little over half a dozen worldgen tiles from the nearest village, I think.  But they may also like being near bandit camps, if not at them.  I saw them during the first night (and a few more appearing in the gradually widening view as dawn happened, until they dissipated themselves), although perhaps their immediate absence this second night is due to the bandit's crew milling around/being chased by the werebeast, albeit all of this happening well out of my view.)

Sorry, loads of words.  Probably hardly any of them necessary.  Cheers for the comments.

One last thought that just occurred to me, though... While I'm here.  The first night's fires (and all prior fire-ring implementations) put out smoke, obscuring some of the area.  The current fire-ring isn't smoking, though.  Don't know if it's reliant upon something like moisture in the locale (though the previous night's fires were just a few tiles away from this one, so should be the same conditions, unless prior rain/lack of it, is also a factor), or just because the engine's so fed up with everything else that it's given up on the smoke propagation. ;)

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 11:26:38 am »

I think the good old bug 0005780 is to blame once again. Have a look at this part:
When I did spend the odd hour of daytime rest, punctuated by the occasional disturbance, it appears the were-beast (first in were-form, then back as Peasant) managed to chase bandits around, some of their belongings teleporting around the site as site-unloading/site-reloading occurred.
The interesting part is that items don't actually scatter around camps or lairs. Bug 5780, however, is famous for a) making random leather appear and b) striking the game in the FPS, tearing the playability.

So, no change in your play style required, just don't hang out with rapidly duplicating leather.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 11:28:32 am by Trif »
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 04:49:56 am »

Hmm, fairly sure this stuff was moving around (appearing and disappearing and other stuff appearing) when I was able to offload/reload during the daytime naps.  And not just ßs, but $s as well are in the "remembered landscape" just beyond my night-time vision limit, (along with some reverse video alphabetic characters for the peregrines, Elephants and armadillos that had also been left behind as my sight-line diminished, and also a ²/body part of some kind).  But I did have other things (a spear, for definite, perhaps some other weapons, and other $s and ßs in other positions) that I know evaporated/moved/whatever.

Anyway, just to update, I had half a dozen chert rocks on me (of which I knapped all but one, obviously) and I then spent some time (mostly leaving the machine to its own devices) throwing everything I had in my backpack to the floor (mainly meat products) just to do something more useful than wait (although I don't expect it to make the ticks tick by any faster).  When I'm next at this machine, at home, I shall start to pick them all up again, in order, thus effectively recataloguing my inventory (temporarily, untill I start picking up other random things).  Then I'll check the Weather again and see if the gibbous moon is no longer in the Eastern Skies and is now perhaps High in the Eastern Skies, which would indicate at least an observable passage of time. ;)

On the way, I got a message that "Reacher has come out of [his?] martial trance", strangely.  Now, I've never (knowingly) encountered this creature before (fortress or adventure mode), but the Wiki indicates it's an underground creature.  I wonder if I'm actually being delayed by an underground chasm's activities...  (Or it has somehow wandered to the surface, and is causing trouble up here, like I was accusing the werebeast[1] of doing.)

Anyway, I'm practising patience.  While I'm busy doing other things on other computers, the full power of my P4 3Ghz machine shall be dedicated to ticking off the occasional second, in-between playing less processor-intensive games like KSP... ;)

[1] Not a Reacher when in its converted form, I'm sure, when I first cast sight of its non-human form, but I can't remember what it was, and also last time I saw it it was back in it's hUman form.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 07:16:12 am »

FYI, still plodding away.  Each 'turn' takes about five minutes, I've found, but obviously without me prodding the computer day in day out I've only gotten part way through this subsequent night by this method (actually, meant to check the moon's progress,, so not sure how far through the night).  Threw everything to the ground and started picking it back up again so as to try to re-organise my backpack's contents (also took my throwing-related skills up a level or two, but better than waiting).

One thing I noticed, on top of the smokelessness of the fires as already mentioned, was that "l"ooking at the fires I only get "a: Ashes" as an item on that spot (as opposed to the copious amount of gore and many bones and other items on my current tile, mid-way through the reorganisation process ;) ), but when I risked trying to walk over the tile I got... nothing.  As if I was walking into a wall.  No slow-down to movement.  Even Alt-move doesn't give any options, making me think I am totally blocked.  (Tried it both standing and 'on ground', and still can't sneak because I'm being observed, nor sleep because I do not think it is 'safe' to do so.)  Was thinking that I'd maybe get burnt, actually, so given that I'm persevering with this adventurer (beyond all common-sense, I'm sure someone or other is thinking), that's a good thing.

Anyway, I'm Thirsty, but there's a river not far from here (if I run) and I reckon I can at least last until daylight, when I'd expect the fires to have died out officially, if at all.  (And, if not then, then looks like I'm reverting to my skim, because I'll consider myself as not cheating if the game's still being awkward by that time, with the open-air campfires burning for almost 24 hours).

Screenshots have been taken, but I doubt anyone's too interested, so leaving them off unless anyone has any specific questions (that I can answer with them).  But thought I might update those that started helping out in the first place, at least.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 01:05:54 pm »

You can save, go into your save's raws and make the race you're playing as fly. Just add [FLIER]. At that point you can fly up over the campfires to escape, and remove it afterwards. Probably won't help your FPS, though.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 07:13:10 am »

Cheers.  Might try that in the 'morning' if those 'ashey' fires truly do not go out.  Although (so far) the moon's position hasn't changed position with the (W)eather check (and I can't see the relative position on top of the Travel map, given that I can't even try to Travel at the moment).

(I only got a few more ticks of play in, last night, due to actually felling to sleep on the sofa listening to the radio. ;) )

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2012, 06:21:21 pm »

( You might be surprised, but I've been persevering with my problematic Adventure Mode game.  The following wa written during the course of time in-between my last post and now.  Paragraphs are sometimes finished many hours after they are started and so the narrative flow probably does not stay consistent.  But I thought I'd at least let you know how things are going, etc.)

Having found out that the moon really wasn't going across the sky much, after much putting down and picking up (to rationalise my inventory), I decided to have a couple of quick cheaty turns involving flying, as suggested.  Being utterly stuck within protective fires that refused to extinguish, the raws were edited and a quick diagonal upward and diagonal downward flight set me outside the confines of my self-imposed containment.

Warily, I start to move (still in extreme slo-mo), unsure what threats are awaiting me... No sounds of cackling, and by now the werebeast should definitely be an the non-were form, but I'm close (WSW-close) to the bandit camp (apparently now leaderless), and there were peregrines and elephants and armadillos around (and those armadillos have a score to settle, as the contents of my backpack attest).

What's that?  "The Dingo stands up."?  Dingo?  What dingo...  Oooh...

The next couple of minutes (game time... about two hours in real time) are hectic.  (Relatively so.)  I think that my Talented shield skills and, moreover, my Novice armour skills (with still wearing my original peasant garb) are not up to the task of dealing with the pack of dingoes that hove into view in a fair fight.  Their idea of a fair fight, that is, which means approaching the poor schmuck (your truly, in this minor drama) from all sides at once.

What to do?  Well, I have a cave to the south.  A 'mere' four steps.  And I step, thusly, in as much haste as I can muster.  It's almost unaccomplished, I am just surrounded by the pack (I have counted ten of them) as I drop into the entrance, with various dingoes having struck at me, but the shots being fortuitously blocked.

At my back, I have the inner cave, and within I really know not what, but that is not my concern at this precise moment.  The more immediate battle starts with earnest with a slash of my iron scimitar at the first of six dingoes stood, or sat upon the ramp I have just vacated.  Snicker-snack, I go.  Oh, there are misses, but luckily I have accumulated a degree of swordsmanship.  By the end of this encounter I may even be deemed adequate!  Arteries are opened, a sight gladder to me than mere muscles being torn, but where a head shot is possible I strive for a shattering of the skull and gloat as there is a tearing apart of the brain.

Staying on the offensive, I care not for the occasional bite, luckily merely bruising the fat in various parts of my body, before the grip of the one or other dingo's teeth is broken.  I choose my targets wisely, refraining from putting those of my foes that are merely unconscious out of their (or my) misery until I have dealt some similar form of injury to the rest of their compatriots. 

The scimitar lodges firmly in wounds, on occasion, and when this prevents me from continuing with that weapon I resort to my large copper dagger (trophy of a previous engagement), and when by the end I find even the dagger lodged in the flesh of my main opponent, my bronze shield is brought to the fore.  (I had also used a pommel attack to an eye for fun, at one point, and was even tempted to take a cursory bite of a hind-leg when attractively presented to me, but really I should be concentrating on getting the enemies bested as best I can.)

At last, with but three bruises on my body, for my part, six of the canines lie dead at the entrance, and with no more immediately visible I have the luxury to do something to rectify a particular regrettable vulnerability...  I can re-sneak again!  Clasping this psychological security blanket, there is one particular task that needs doing.  Deeper into the cave!  Perhaps fate now brings me back to my original task!  That of killing Onust Reignedtouches, the enemy who in his beastly form is said to be vulnerable only to items made of bronze!  And so, my trusty bronze shield in hand, I advance, and prepare to do what needs to be done...

"The spinning sharp chert strikes The Peasant in the head, bruising the muscle, shattering the skull and bruising the brain!"  What a let-down.  Still better dead than red ripping me limb-from-limb.  I spend a few moments (in-game, it's still a drag on real-life time) checking for valuables.  There is a stack of coins and the ex-possessions of a now skeletonised dwarf, one of the local outlaw's men, I believe.  This includes unusable armour that I cannot wear on my human frame, but perhaps I can trade it later.  For the sake of ceremony, I place all the irrelevant remains in one spot and set a funereal pyre ablaze upon that spot.  (Whoops, I'd forgot about the dwarven skeleton.  I quickly pick it up and throw it on there as well.  It might not have been quite what he wanted (the previous owner of the skeleton), but it'll be somewhat similar to magma, to be in an eternally burning campfire, and it'll give the future pharmacologists something a laugh, or ascribe to some weird cult...)

Task done, I go back to the entrance itself and onto the exit ramp.  Another dingo, lurking at te edge, spots me, and strikes me thrice, but ineffectively.  A slash of the dagger, and she jumps away, and runs, but with a damaged lng she may not get too far.  (I see another couple of dingoes sitting a couple of tiles away, but they don't appear to be so eager to attack.  And here I am, sat atop six corpses that were once the emodiments of their more forward pack-members.  What else should I do but butcher the corpses?  (Dingo meat... yum yum.  So much of it, though, perhaps I'm not doing myself any favours.)

At this point, just beyond the lip of the cave entrance, two tiles distant, I spy a couple more dingoes.  One recumbent and the other standing in anticipation.  Thinking that I might test my throwing skills, I sneak up onto the opposite side of the cave entrance only for... goshdarnit! a peregrine is flying by and, doubtless startled, proceeds to mob me.  (If one bird can truly 'mob', on its own.)  Quickly rendering it unconscious, I waste a turn on a token throw of animal fat, but miss the prone fowl (pron. 'foul', although it should be 'fool').

In that moment, and the next as events unfold, I once again find myself beset by dingoes.  Five in total (and no sign of the injured one that ran), hinting that my initial count may have been on the low side.  Business-like, I set to these new threats.  They are attacking from tiles either side of the cave entrance, from where I now stand (out in the open), and one is facing me down (or rather up) from the depression in front of me, but with my stance being to stay firm and by now Adept at using my shield, I find all but one attack from all quarters is blocked, and that sole exception does nothing more than bruise me for a fourth time, while I methodically ensure that each and every attacker has a significant wound to their heads or upper torso.  In the process, my sword is once again lodged firmly in a foe, and the copper dagger is revived as my main tool.

Round two starts off with one more bruise (although it appears to be a repeat of a prior injury, leaving me feeling no worse off), and the lodging of the dagger in the head of an uncomfortable, though still conscious, plains-hound.  Ne'er fear, for I have my shield to bash with, except... oh wait, I appear to be able to scimitar the enemy once more, so let's stick to the weapon that I know best, at least until I can afford to tease my rapidly diminishing foes.

One two, one two, and through and through... And snicker-snack I go, indeed.  And I forget to keep count.  It's only when all the dingoes are dingone that I remember to try something else.  Peregrine tongue anyone?  (Well, it was that blabberbeak that forced me to fight.)  Bitten into, shaken around, and, oh dear (from its POV), it tears off and the bird bleeds out.

All current threats now dealt with, and the moon directly above, I could perhaps go to sleep, but the display of "half remembered" landscape beyond the 9-tile radius night-time vision limits indicates that I may be near the corner of an embark-tile, and there are also goods to pick up.  I risk wandering over to this corner (sneakily), along the way bringing an armadillo into view.  I throw some spare animal fat at it, and (ironically) "The spinning armadillo fat strikes The Dingo in the left front leg, bruising the muscle!"  More dingoes out there?  Well, let's find out.  The previous extended encounter as trained me up enough to make me confident to take on any more packs that are out there (also, I've a feeling something like this pack is contributing to my continued slow game-time progress).  (Also, there is a promise of goods there on the ground, ready to pick up, although when I move to bring one location into view, some leather that was there before has moved.)

Skirting around the armadillo, (lighting a marker fire at the corner, for reference and then moving around the back) I bring a dingo into view.  It's not the herald of another pack, however.  The dingo sits on the same tile as some armadillo fat (proving that it's the one that was hit, but also showing that my aim was off, given it's not on the line from where I threw to where the original target still stands), with injuries.  Her upper body cut open, left front leg bruised and the right lung broken, the injuries (discounting the recent leg bruise) show her to be the sole(?) survivor of the recently defeated ambush.

Naturally, I'm keen to show clematis with peace and reconciliation...  No, I shall very likely attack her, once I get closer.  But that will take some time yet, and is subject to the other whims of fate.

<turns pass>

She's dead.  It was not down to my choice after all.  A set of running armadillos scurried across the area, and one 'tripped over me'.  Again having nominally uncombative wildlife bring me into conflict, I made short shrift of the offending party as well as the more aggressive (if injured) dingo.

Further wildlife (more armadillos and peregrines) are seen as I conduct a search-pattern for other interesting goods (picking up a number of coins whose origin I don't recognise but may be able to spend at some point, and a cave blob skin) and to check out various remains (some skeletons of ex-bandit dwarves).  Another pack of dingoes are spotted at the edge of my vision (still limited by the night) and while I'm now fairly confident of handling even a pack-attack, I hope that I can avoid this if I'm lucky.

Ok, so a small diversion... after trekking round half the embark tile in the dark (easily identified by the cut-off in 'remembered' landscape) I got properly Drowsy.  With the moon now high in the western sky, I idly wondered if a few hours sleep would do me good.  Transferring the save-game to a different machine (just in case the old one is the cause of my woes), I go back to the cave entrance, set five hours on my game-alarmclock and snooze.  The snooze-screen progresses quite quickly, but then I get back to the world to come back out of supine unconsciousness ... forty-five minutes later (having watched a complete episodes of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, to keep me in the mood), it announces "You've spotted a Giant Cave Spider!"  What where when how?

I look around (cursor-look, quite immune to the FPS issue), and it's not in sight either in the visible parts of the cave or on the surface.  I can stand, I can sneak... Well, it can't see me either, apparently.  Into the back of the cave... Oh, but way too slow...  I crudely measured it.  Starting the first move at half-past the hour, it's still at "0 (0)" at five past the next hour, but back to full responsiveness by quarter-past.  So let's say 40 minutes?

This is a 3Ghz dual-core P4 with 1Gb RAM, XP (Pro, 32-bit) and nothing of any significance running in the background, hardly a sluggard and Kerbal Space Program 0.13 runs nicely on it, and yet move two into the cave, which leaves all but five tiles of cave-flooring unobserved by me (and still no GCS), is started at 20-past and... well the phone rings and I get distracted by the call, but at some point between five-to and the next hour exactly, so 40-ish minutes again.  During this latest move, processor activity appears to be consistently around 50% for most of the waiting time (both cores apparently taking the load roughly equally, contrary to expectations, at a wildly varying 30%-70% on each) and memory usage is about 460Mb while checking (peak usage is indicated as 708Mb, but that may have been at any time in the three hours since DF was started), with only Explorer (3h13m+, 37Mb RAM, 206Mb peak RAM) even approaching the same limits.  Even the anti-virus TSRs (almost the same run-time, but far less memory-intensive) could not be at fault.

At exactly five-past, I diagonally move one more spot into the cave, leaving just one single tile still unobserved, this time round, but still no sign of any GCS (and there was definitely no GCS in here when I originally surveyed it... could it actually be on the surface?) and the wait lasts until... well, you can guess roughly what figure I got, having missed the precise moment once more.   I shall probably totally ignore this brief sojourn, revert to the original machine and the version of save I left on that (just before my in-game snooze) and continue in mere 5-minute increments to the edge of the observed embark area, and beyond, and see if I can leave behind whatever performance-spoiling phenomena are causing me this pain.  I wonder, though, if there's anything in the fact that things slowed after one sleep (not my first in this immediate locale) and vastly slowed after a yet another doze..?

...Ok, before I abandon, I wander outside the cave, in daylight.  Because of trees spoiling the view I can't see everywhere within my daytime sight-range, but how much wildlife is there?

Two separate herds of elephants (at least ten individuals, some sharing tiles) two separate groups of lions (some also sharing tiles, at least six but probably more), peregrines numbering perhaps twenty-four or so (might have missed one or two), at least three cheetahs, a handful of mongeee, three 'w's (warthogs, I think, but I forgot to look-cursor before writing this [edit: it's weasels!]).  More immobile but scattered around (definitely moved during the last sleep, BTW) are assorted remains left after butchering those dingoes, and a number of cave-blob 'skins'.  The original camp-fires set my first night in this spot are (as they were by the dawn that followed) ashes, but the camp-fires that I cheatily flew out of are still burning, more than 24 game-hours later (as well as the ones I put down a little over five game-hours ago, before I had that last snooze).  Oh, and not one sign of a GCS.

I opportunistically throw some handy armadillo fat at an armadillo.  I miss, and hit a cheetah.  During the next five turns (so far, as far as I have gone, albeit now far down the path of Adventuring from where I said I'd decided to revert) throw more fat at the armadillo and hit the cheetah three more times.  It is being ill.  I move one space closer to the armadillo and that was earlier this evening.  I probably could run both this and the original (prior to the 40-minute turn save).  Or just quicker test on the 'quicker' version whether moving off-site would be advantageous to FPS.

Oh, I don't know.  I'm all indecisive now, as I append this last little comment and record just prior to posting my little disorganised account.  What a let down, eh?  Not even a particularly good cliff-hanger, but thank you for reading anyway. ;)  You may hear more of this, but it might well be next month, and involve how I managed to merely wander over to the nearest town, at this rate!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2012, 09:23:43 am »

Still persevering, would you believe.

Also still getting the occasional underground-orientated announcement, here's a selection, from amongst the more mundane surface announcements that were actually relevant to me.

Cave Crocodile is no longer enraged.
Reacher is no longer enraged.
Reacher is no longer enraged.
You've spotted a Giant Cave Spider!
Crundle is no longer enraged.
Troglodyte is no longer enraged
The toads have given a resident Giant Cave Spider the name Thomod Poppos

Assuming it just isn't all-out war between many cavern denizens, I reckon that Thomod (as so named, now) has been having a busy time.

I'm walking out of the area, and it appears to be progressing faster with less of the huge amount of wildlife in view.  It's a lot less life-filled, the adjacent wilds[1], but I'm not fully out of range of sight yet, let alone far enough for those tiles and their denizens to be unloaded from 'active' simulation.)

[1] A couple of peregrines zoomed in from a totally different direction and haven't moved since they planted themselves down in the middle of nowhere, other than that I don't appear to be gaining creatures.