Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Playing DF for Charity?  (Read 1610 times)

CatalystParadox

• Bay Watcher
  • hi ho, hi ho...
    • View Profile
Playing DF for Charity?
« on: October 15, 2012, 07:22:31 pm »

Hi all.

I've decided to participate in a fundraiser for the Children's Miracle Network called Extra Life.  The idea is, participants collect pledges to support a CMH hospital of their choice (in my case I chose Eastern Maine Medical Center, which I have the most personal connection to) and then, this Saturday, October 20th, start on a marathon of 24 hours of playing videogames.  Needless to say, I intend to spend a fair chunk of that time on Dwarf Fortress.

To spice it up a little, I wanted to record what I do as a community game - screenshots, choice excerpts from Legends, and even writing up the story - who knows how much?  I guess it depends on how much interest there is.  I'll do this part outside of actually playing so as to get as much meat for the story as possible. 

So, I was thinking about 2 hours of DF goodness for every donor.  Anyone willing to pitch in for a good cause?  By "good cause" I obviously mean Dwarf Fortress... but hospitals that provide free care to sick children are good too I guess :P

http://www.extra-life.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=donordrive.participant&participantID=39712
My proud turn in Failcannon | Uzolnom - "Oiledgod"

Quote from: Mego
I opened up the Unread Replies page and saw that you were the last poster. I got scared. Something about you posting scares me, ever since Failcannon.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
Re: Playing DF for Charity?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 07:31:34 pm »

I think we had a similar post a few months ago. I'd love to see DF used for a good cause like that, just make sure you avoid too much goresplosion. :D
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

CatalystParadox

• Bay Watcher
  • hi ho, hi ho...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 07:35:52 pm »

I think we had a similar post a few months ago. I'd love to see DF used for a good cause like that, just make sure you avoid too much goresplosion. :D

Yeah, the fundraiser has been around for a bit, so I'm a little late getting on board.  A friend was doing it and it just sounded like it would be a lot of fun even if I don't manage to raise much.  *shrug* I'm giving, anyway. 

I don't think the goresplosion will be a problem, as I am posting it here, not, like, on the Extra-Life website or anything :P  Actually, knowing Bay12-ers, I should probably just plan to set up a fort based around the principle of systematically slaughtering all children, for the sake of irony.

I opened up the Unread Replies page and saw that you were the last poster. I got scared. Something about you posting scares me, ever since Failcannon.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 07:38:55 pm »

Yeah, the fundraiser has been around for a bit, so I'm a little late getting on board.  A friend was doing it and it just sounded like it would be a lot of fun even if I don't manage to raise much.  *shrug* I'm giving, anyway. 

I don't think the goresplosion will be a problem, as I am posting it here, not, like, on the Extra-Life website or anything :P  Actually, knowing Bay12-ers, I should probably just plan to set up a fort based around the principle of systematically slaughtering all children, for the sake of irony.
Kill all the children, for the sake of the children. I like your style.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 03:53:50 pm »

This guy is like the essence of Bay 12!

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 04:49:26 pm »

This guy is like the essence of Bay 12!

I'm suddenly reminded of that thread about a neural AI. How do we know that Catalyst isn't just some super advanced computer using its sick logic to show that the children are too much of a risk to themselves, and to prevent them coming to harm, he must end their lives before anything terrible happens?

I, for one, welcome our new child slaughtering master. All hail CatalystParadox, murderous AI overlord!
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

CatalystParadox

• Bay Watcher
  • hi ho, hi ho...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 01:32:00 pm »

Oh dear.  I wasn't really planning to kill all the children but... I guess...

If it's for the children...

Actually, perhaps what I should do is attempt to realize girlinhat's design for Dwarven Child Care.  That seems appropriate.

Now, there are just a few days left, and I haven't had a DF-related donor yet.  Even if I just get 3 more donors at 0.50c an hour ($12 total) I'll reach my goal.  I'd be really grateful if some kind Bay12-er felt like pitching in.  Your donation is fully tax-deductible, yada yada. 

Edit: As I was posting this, someone pledged my remaining total.  That doesn't mean my drive stops - the initial goal amount was completely arbitrary anyway.    My secondary goal is to reach $240 - 10 dollars per hour, total.  Please still consider contributing, your impact is just as great as ever.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 01:34:58 pm by CatalystParadox »

CatalystParadox

• Bay Watcher
  • hi ho, hi ho...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2012, 01:52:36 am »

Tomorrow's the big day! 

Here's the world I generated for the DF portion of the day: Zaludroth - The Future Domain

Spoiler: warning, huge image (click to show/hide)

I'll be tweeting about the whole thing (DF and other games also.  DF probably starts late tomorrow night) at http://www.twitter.com/Jhow_Xtra_Life/ if anyone is interested!

Snowblind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2012, 03:59:30 am »

I think almost all videogames involve killing, typically in very cheap, callous and casual manners.

I don't think the horrors in DF are too much for charity, because unlike mainstream games, DF is classy as fuck.

CatalystParadox

• Bay Watcher
  • hi ho, hi ho...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2012, 05:29:23 am »

DF-related tweeting begins now!  If you want to hear about fortress Desisunib - "Snarlingrags" by live-tweet now through tomorrow - and who knows... whenever I decide to continue this after - go here:  https://twitter.com/JHow_Xtra_life

Nyan Thousand

• Bay Watcher
  • It's exactly nyan thousand!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2012, 06:44:01 am »

Are you going to make a hospital megaproject? Because you should make a hospital megaproject.

CatalystParadox

• Bay Watcher
  • hi ho, hi ho...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2012, 08:16:04 am »

Are you going to make a hospital megaproject? Because you should make a hospital megaproject.

It... turned into more of an injury megaproject.  Because I have a habit of embarking on evil and not learning what a terrible idea this is.