Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Experiments in Goblin Breeding  (Read 5633 times)

Jahsg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Experiments in Goblin Breeding
« on: October 15, 2012, 05:40:00 pm »

For the glory of Armok, I have undertaken the task of studding the goblin menace and turning their own bodily functions against them.

I added the [PET] tag to the female caste of Goblins, Humans, and Kobalds.

My attempts to create chambers with a semi-permeable barriers to only allows the children out were met with failure. So i came up with a simpler strategy to recapture the females when harvest time rolls around.

My first goblins went into the expanded testing chambers, 6 females and 10 males were able to be captured, adding to the three I already had. the males were dropped into the pit to survive or die, as we already have one male in the testing facility, only four males succumbed to their injuries from the fall, a clean-up crew will be sent in shortly, to finish off the unarmed and naked survivors.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Efforts to recapture the mothers when harvest time rolls around are going well a simple recapturing should suffice

The males were terminated with no casualties but a camel did kick one of the clean up crew members in the head, thank Armok for steel helmets

Through my research i have found some other useful information:
  • Only need a male on the map to have a creature reproduce, they need not have contact at all probably because of the properties of the [PET] tag.
  • A Werecreature won't attack its own babies or children, which were born on the map.
  • As the goblin babies are considered friendly a goblin falling upon a child in the pit angered all of the children.

Note: I currently have a crop of 11 goblin babies... just need to wait on more subjects

« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 05:45:58 pm by Jahsg »

Captain Willy

• Bay Watcher
  • I like rum.
    • View Profile
Re: Experiments in Goblin Breeding
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 06:11:33 pm »

That is pretty coolio, unfortunately I have nothing to add...

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 06:24:02 pm »

The fact that creatures reproduce without physical contact has nothing to do with the [PET] tag; that's just how toady handles breeding, with all creatures. The community usually refers to it as "sporing." The only things needed to breed, then, are two separate casts, one with [FEMALE] and the other [MALE], and a [CHILD:x] tag, where x is a whole number greater than 0.

Also interesting that the goblin children get pissy when introduced to mommy. That implies that they are not members of the same civ/group as their parents.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Jahsg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 06:36:35 pm »

Well the children are considered as friendlies, and the goblin was drop from 5+ z levels to land on its head

astianax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 06:38:36 pm »

sadly, all your 'friendly' baby goblins are going to turn hostile as soon as a new goblin enters the map. keep an eye out for that.

and, also, pet goblins that become hostile will scare the crap out of your citizens just like an untamed animal...

also, goblins have no problem with attacking each other, so expect adults...and even other goblin babies...to take out any anger they have on the nearest baby

i tried to have goblin and kobold breeding pits, once upon a time. forgot kobolds were egg-layers, so that one was a no-go from the start

Voyd211

• Bay Watcher
  • I am and I am not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 06:41:04 pm »

I'm almost afraid to ask what you plan on doing with the goblings. (yeah, I'm new here.)
Apparently, I am the first person to ever say "Screw You in All Your Finery."

!!SCIENCE!! team has vapor for brains.

Jahsg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 07:36:42 pm »

Thats... odd just got an ambush... all ere caged... all goblin babys stayed friendly... ill try smacking around a few next time to see if that affects them

i have figured out why the captured werebeast did not kill its child... it mauled it one... but it survived.. and is now a weremoniterlet
it has no name, unlike the goblin babies in my farm
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 07:44:25 pm by Jahsg »

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, 09:27:08 pm »

As to the ambush not setting off the Goblin Time Bomb, were they from the same goblin civ. as the original breeding program?  That has been the case when people have embarked on top of a goblin camp, or reclaimed after a seige with goblins still on map.  The goblins would stay 'freindly', even attacking goblins of OTHER civilisations, until at least one goblin of their ORIGINATING civilisation showed up.  Then they'd go apple fruit berry guano.  That's a thing.  DON'T ASK!!

Berossus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 04:01:46 am »

I see a perpetually self-refilling auto-mated (get it?  :P ) archery range in your Markdwarf barracks.

A bunch of goblinettes chained in an antechamber of the shooting range, breeding babies that are no threat to anyone and run around iwithin the fortifications. The moment they mature and become hostile they are immediatly gunned down for XP by the nearby marksdwarves until only non-hostile babies remain and the dwarves return to training.
My son, many speak of the honor in war.
My preferred method is to wait until their back is turned, then impale them with a pike held by someone else.
Preferrably from a distance.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2012, 01:02:06 pm »

• A Werecreature won't attack its own babies or children, which were born on the map.
You can 100% confirm this? This can save a lot of hair pulling on my part.

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2012, 01:12:43 pm »

You can 100% confirm this? This can save a lot of hair pulling on my part.

he changed his mind about this.

i have figured out why the captured werebeast did not kill its child... it mauled it one... but it survived.. and is now a weremoniterlet
it has no name, unlike the goblin babies in my farm

In theory it is possible they just cause them to turn into a weremonster and not kill, but i can't see why they can't kill own child. So sadly more science is needed, my guess is that they can kill own childs, but my science is very very limited.
Dear Urist McStockpileDrone
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2012, 01:26:14 pm »

The possibilities.... Dwarfrection throbbing.

Urist McLaptop

• Bay Watcher
  • dwarven child care=!!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2012, 04:06:38 pm »

I say make an awesome mountain of goblin bodies as monument to your ruthless strength  :P
Legend tells of a fort besieged by a dragon. When 79 brave recruits fell to its breath, the last dwarf of the fort took up arms. He sprung from his sickbed and claimed an adamant one sword before he bulrushes the dragon. A clean swipe severs the head. But the dragon claws him in the lower body and burns him alive. As he melts into a pile of booze and fat, I rename him Ronnie James Dio and change his profession to dragonslayer. He will forever be immortalized and worshipped as a dragonslayer God.

Voyd211

• Bay Watcher
  • I am and I am not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2012, 08:12:54 pm »

Can you kidnap the baby goblins as your own kids? Or are goblins ironically the only race to do that?
Apparently, I am the first person to ever say "Screw You in All Your Finery."

!!SCIENCE!! team has vapor for brains.

fourpotatoes

• Bay Watcher
  • N DSD & Sw
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2012, 11:30:23 pm »

When I tried breeding the white tigermen from Fortress Defense, the babies killed their mothers (which broke my silk farm the first time it happened), but then they just stood around the chamber of horrors breeding facility guest house being friendly, despite an open path to the fortress and outdoors. Several years of new sieges didn't change their loyalty, but neither did it change their location.

Have you been able to put these goblins to use? I'd hoped to use my friendly tigermen as guard beasts, but they couldn't be assigned to pastures or chains and wouldn't go to meeting areas, so all they did was laze around the dungeons until FPS death claimed the fortress. If I were to do it again, I'd put the females where I want their kids to end up, then seal them off until the children are born.
Pages: [1] 2