Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Off-screen hunting  (Read 798 times)

Escapism

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Off-screen hunting
« on: October 15, 2012, 05:37:29 pm »

If hunter were able to go off-screen to hunt abstractly, it'd make large-scale hunting much more useful. Currently, hunting is a bit too reliant on whether wildlife decides to show up at your settlement or not, and you can't really use more than two or three competent hunters at once as the wildlife runs out too quickly. It's also a lot more realistic, and probably fairly easy to implement compared to other dwarf-worldgen interaction (while you probably want to view raids etc. in some manner, hunting is probably best off being solely abstracted).

Revanchist

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you for helping us help you help us all.
    • View Profile
Re: Off-screen hunting
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 06:35:29 pm »

So you propose to have hunting parties leave similiarly to the future army movements? I personally think that would help, as staying in your own tiny area is too... small.
Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope... Love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticule, and together, achieving a singular purpose against statistically long odds."

People love a happy ending. So every episode, I will explain once again that I don't like people. And then Mal will shoot someone. Someone we like. And their puppy.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 06:48:06 pm »

I would like to point out that many societies did die out of over-hunting local wildlife. Not ones of only 100-200, tops, unless they were on unusually small islands.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Revanchist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 06:51:59 pm »

Like, umm... Sable island, or whatever the one near Canada is? I'm pretty sure several tropical islands as well.
Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope... Love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticule, and together, achieving a singular purpose against statistically long odds."

People love a happy ending. So every episode, I will explain once again that I don't like people. And then Mal will shoot someone. Someone we like. And their puppy.

Escapism

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 06:52:25 pm »

Revanchist:
Yeah, it doesn't really make sense to hunt just across a few hundred meters. And having your "wildlife slots" (if it works like that, idk) filled up with raven-men or something can be pretty frustrating.

GreatWyrmGold:
True, but having 3 dedicated hunters shouldn't even get close to exterminating local wildlife under ordinary conditions (unless they hunt at a very small area, which is what happens now). Right now it's not really a matter of how much wildlife exists in your surroundings, but rather whether or not they happen to show up in your (small) map.

Revanchist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 06:54:35 pm »

So it's based off the (current) alignments?

Good-Evil and Calm-Savage?

EDIT: As in, all zones have a maximum number of wildlife there based on those axes? (or whatever the plural of axis is)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 06:58:32 pm by Revanchist »

Escapism

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 06:57:05 pm »

I don't think so - though I admit I'm a bit uncertain as to what you meant to say.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, 07:12:21 pm »

Revanchist:
Yeah, it doesn't really make sense to hunt just across a few hundred meters. And having your "wildlife slots" (if it works like that, idk) filled up with raven-men or something can be pretty frustrating.
A DF embark tile is, IIRC, 48 dwarf-tiles across, which translated to a bit under 100 meters. Just so you know the math checks out.

GreatWyrmGold:
True, but having 3 dedicated hunters shouldn't even get close to exterminating local wildlife under ordinary conditions (unless they hunt at a very small area, which is what happens now). Right now it's not really a matter of how much wildlife exists in your surroundings, but rather whether or not they happen to show up in your (small) map.
It depends on how much they hunt, how well they do, and what they're hunting... but generally, yes.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Bytyan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2012, 10:00:56 pm »

It depends on how much they hunt, how well they do, and what they're hunting... but generally, yes.

I would challange whether three small men with crossbows who walk like their legs are tied together could off balance an ecosystem, unless they only ate a small top predator. The same should apply to fisher-dwarves once sea farers are implemented.

Edited for typo

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2012, 09:05:07 pm »

I would challange whether three small men with crossbows who walk like their legs are tied together could off balance an ecosystem, unless they only ate a small top predator. The same should apply to fisher-dwarves once sea farers are implemented.

Edited for typo
It depends on the ecosystem...
... but generally, yes.
Sig

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2012, 03:18:41 am »

I was about to make the very same sugestion, and I wholeheartedly support the idea. I think animals appearing in immediate vicinity of the fortress should be incredibly rare and, in case of predator packs, dangerous, and hunting activity should generally take place off-screen, with maybe tiny bits of surrounding map loaded to perform actual combat when the hunter engages the animal or is ambushed himself.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2012, 06:46:26 am »

Although I agree with you in general, wouldn't animals be attracted to the fortress by their waste, livestock, etc?
Sig

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2012, 06:55:38 am »

I think you're right, but it's very specific animals that might be attracted by civilization: wild canines, large predators that have no inbuilt fear of dwarves, and even those should prefer to stay away for a time after a few packs are butchered. Others should probably stay clear from dwarven sight.

Revanchist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2012, 02:36:16 pm »

Like the badgers, or the elephants?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2012, 06:10:58 pm »

I think you're right, but it's very specific animals that might be attracted by civilization: wild canines, large predators that have no inbuilt fear of dwarves, and even those should prefer to stay away for a time after a few packs are butchered. Others should probably stay clear from dwarven sight.
Or vermin. Or creatures who scavenge/steal from dwarves. Or animals who tag along with those species for various reasons...
Sig