Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How do you know when you've "won" a game of DF? Pick whichever most applies:

Optimization: Maximize production, minimize waste, keep the fortress running until the game runs at one frame per hour
- 28 (22.4%)
Losing spectacularly: Lava deaths! Plagues! Tantrum spirals! Etc!
- 39 (31.2%)
Clown invasion: Break into the circus and hope your last stand becomes the stuff of legends. May overlap with option 2.
- 17 (13.6%)
War: Because fuck those elves, man.
- 15 (12%)
Custom Objective Completion: Finally finishing your megaproject or finding narrative closure for your LP or any other option not covered by the first four.
- 26 (20.8%)

Total Members Voted: 125

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What Is Your Preferred Endgame Condition?  (Read 3963 times)

Itrade

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
What Is Your Preferred Endgame Condition?
« on: October 15, 2012, 03:11:02 am »

Personally, my dream victory would be to have a fort with as many ecstatic dwarves as possible. Ideally the fortress wouldn't have an end, there would just be so many dwarves using up processing power that the game would be impossible to play except for when Moore's Law allows me to squeeze a few more months with each upgrade to my computer until either I die or computer reach maximum efficiency.

What about you?

RustyTheBrave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What Is Your Preferred Endgame Condition?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 03:29:20 am »

My ideal ending is one in which everything is maximized, the above-ground fort is entirely autonomous, every dwarf is positively ecstatic... And then I train them all in weapon skills and have them try to crush the circus. Only when clown and dwarf blood fill the halls do I count the fort a ringing success.

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 03:49:43 am »

I pretty much always play until the fort dies of fps decay, if only because I hate the idea of abandoning a successful fort. My current fort is still going strong (somehow) at year 28. I engraved the entire floor of the circus and then built green glass walls around the edge. Now the clowns can only enter the map into a clown harvesting chamber or into the sealed-off eerie glowing pits on the map's edge. As far as I'm concerned, that's victory, but I'm still playing.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 04:14:19 am »

I usually get bored of the game when I have a successful fortress that can withstand almost anything. It's then I either breach the candy or forbid the food pile and hope I get another Dwarf Baby Leather Boot.

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 05:15:31 am »

I play to build the most successful fortress I can and hope that something random will happen that will bring it to a crashing crescendo (aka !!FUN!!) without actually doing so consciously. Sadly I always meet an FPS death before something very interesting happens that I can't deal with. I installed magma windows in a few forts' dining rooms (green glass windows looking straight into a volcano) just so something might happen - playing the pre-tense that it was for the look not for the lols. Again, there was none angry enough to tantrum and break those dozen or so windows that held back an entire volcano's worth of magma from my dining room..
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 06:03:47 am »

The fortress is the mountainhomes, enormous, and filled with ecstatic dwarves and then is somehow completely destroyed beyond any hope of reclaim.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 06:39:35 am »

The game's usually completed once I get to drench the landscape in boiling magma.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, 07:03:41 am »

Due to the nature of my mods, I usually deem it finished when I finish all research trees and summon all the monsters, then unleash them on the circus.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2012, 07:58:50 am »

Keep playing until something horrible occurs and 50% of the fort ends up dead because of it. Deadly dust metallic FB's are the primary cause of this event. It's a good moment as ever to have the dorfs call it quits and evacuate the hellhole that their nice little place has become all of a sudden. It also gives some better-than-average workers to enter the dorf rotation in future forts, assuming they didn't all die of course(which always seems to happen, like the better you are at your job, the more likely it is that you will wander off towards the nearest megabeast, kobold murder-squad or multiple goblin ambushes).

Lexyvil

• Bay Watcher
  • Serenading the folk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2012, 08:23:43 am »

I like ending my games with dwarves killing eachother off. Nothing else better than seeing the fall of a great fortress by its own people.
My post ends here.

Gaybarowner

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOW_LEARNER] [VERMIN_HATEABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2012, 10:18:30 am »

When i can leave my fort on overnight and not have it crumble

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2012, 11:42:02 am »

I want my forts to die in fine nonmagma dwarven fashion: Kicking, screaming, and at least trying to drag all invaders to the afterlife with them. Because war is how all dwarves aspire to die. Except for metalworkers. They hope they die in an accident involving thier smelters.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2012, 12:25:39 pm »

I want my forts to die in fine nonmagma dwarven fashion: Kicking, screaming, and at least trying to drag all invaders to the afterlife with them. Because war is how all dwarves aspire to die. Except for metalworkers. They hope they die in an accident involving thier smelters.
Quite. My fort is full of so many layers of defenses and "SCREW YOU INVADERS" designs that I had to start building things that would destroy my fort from the inside out. Best part? There'd still be avenues for Dwarves to escape and fight on.

Erit_Invictus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2012, 01:06:16 pm »

I declare I made it when I have a growing fortress of high-sklled dwarves, a at least a small squad of military in very good stance. I must have conquered all three layers and the circus is left for the end - Unless I'm using exploits or decided to cave them in, I abandon the fortress and provide my civilization and future fortresses with an army of ultra higskilled dwarves and if everything goes well, at least a surplus of 30 children, 60 if the zone's small. Then I open the circus and abandon, and my adventurer comes in.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2012, 01:55:59 pm »

When the game's high-level criteria are met:
- Your fortress is the capital, and the king has sired a royal dynasty (or queen).
- All the metal ore has been mined and processed.
- Hell is emptied of demons through military force and upright spikes.

And your fortress has a level of autonomousity:
- Your fortress has [population cap] full sets of metal armor.
- Your fortress has [population cap] bedrooms.
- Your fortress has [population cap] chairs and tables, in case dwarves decide to defy probability and all eat at the exact same time
- Your fortress has enough coffins to bury every dwarf within the fortress.
- Your fortress has enough amenities to make your dwarves ecstatic even if their entire family suddenly dies of old age.
- Almost all dwarves die peacefully.

And possibilities of failure have been greatly reduced:
- Most dwarves have high weapon skill and a weapon of masterwork quality
- Weapon, cage and magma traps, plus your diabolical ingenuity, make the fortress' entrance very well-defended. However, caravans must be able to enter: you are not a closed system.
- Fortifications allow highly skilled marksdwarves to take down invading titans or megabeasts
- Trained animals or cats have been sealed in watch towers encircling the map edge, detecting thieves or sieges the moment they arrive.
My wooden badge was delicious.
Pages: [1] 2