Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The Worst Games You Bought because your Friends Were  (Read 5093 times)

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Worst Games You Bought because your Friends Were
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2012, 10:43:24 am »

Left 4 Dead 2. Seriously, that was just terribly unfun.

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2012, 10:55:34 am »

Off the top of my head, Everquest 2. I had some "friends" who later turned out to be some kind of delusional group of hipsters that thought they were Wiccan-Catholic vampire otherkin who were the real-life equivalent of the cast of Charmed that loved picking on the disabled like myself and they were obsessed with Everquest 2. My computer couldn't play the damn game very well and I ended up quitting anyways after I got sent to the psych ward due to their bullshit making me think I was a wood elf who could teleport with the aid of fairies who lived in an abandoned parking lot.

My biggest regret is that this all happened without the aid of hallucinogens. Needless to say I didn't want to go back to college after that.

General Discussion NOW.  You have to share the entire story.

I would rather not. Someone who was involved in part of a different conflict is registered on this forum and I don't want that person to try childish things like calling my apartment and soliciting me for anal sex again while playing stormtrooper music and asking me to join the Church of Scientology as they sign me up for packages for missionary positions in the Bible Belt, knowing very well that I was abused by the Church.

...Maybe if I start drinking I'll post the entire story.

Squanto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2012, 10:57:48 am »

Technically, I didn't buy it because my friends wanted it but because I loved the prequel;  Stronghold 3.  This game is an insult to all games.  It goes backwards in just about every way possible.  "Lets remove the fun gamemodes" "lets add back in the ability for peasants to knock down stone walls as quickly as siege engines" "Lets just ruin the whole game!"  I wish I never moved away from Stronghold 2, even though that was aging.

As for a game I bought because friends; brink.  It seemed like such a good idea, but something about the execution was just poorly done, plus performance issues randomly slowing my game down to a crawl (before you ask, I had the newest drivers for my graphics card), and multiplayer being strangely laggy made it a bad experience in general.

Best game i bought becuase friends was likely gmod.  It introduced me to steam, and spacebuild2 was super fun, and now TTT shenanigains... 650+ hours playtime for me, not counting from before they tracked it.

I don't want that person to try childish things like calling my apartment and soliciting me for anal sex again
waitwhat?  AGAIN?!?!?  Why would someone do that in the first place?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 10:59:50 am by Squanto »
Probably no reason other than it giving them a larger B-peen.
The B is for Business.

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2012, 11:13:11 am »

I don't want that person to try childish things like calling my apartment and soliciting me for anal sex again
waitwhat?  AGAIN?!?!?  Why would someone do that in the first place?
...I don't want to talk about it, needless to say it was someone from Scotland, another person from Texas, and possibly someone else from either Rhode Island, Canada, Los Angeles or Turkey doing the calling, and that I changed my phone number the next day.

And now, back to the damn topic - which I have nothing left to say on because I have never gotten into a game because of friends and a friend has never bought me a game of any kind. If anything the worst game someone bought me was Everquest 2 because it was my mother that bought me said game for my twentieth birthday after hearing about how I wanted to play it with those people she had warned me about. She is a very good mother and I only wish that I had heeded her warnings.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2012, 11:54:43 am »

Left 4 Dead 2. Seriously, that was just terribly unfun.

Really? I love that game, and the only problem I have with it multiplayer is that the guys I play with are all hardcore, so I end up getting curbstomped far too often. Still a great game though.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2012, 11:58:44 am »

Dungeon Defenders and Magicka are two games that I've bought because of friends pestering me to get them for multiplayer, and that I've gotten absolutely no joy out of them.

Usually though I try stuff out before I buy it, so I don't often fall into this trap. E.G. L4D2 I knew full well was terrible and so avoided buying it. :P

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2012, 05:11:21 pm »

Minecraft. It was only 10 bucks though so not a huge deal. Same thing happened later with Terraria because I have trouble learning from mistakes.

The main problem I have is that I don't play any of the games my friends play. Most of my friends enjoy RTS, but I am terrible at strategy games and avoid them when I can. Sometimes I can't help myself and get the game anyways. I bought Wargame and I've still only played the first mission.

My brother also bought me Civilization 5 after telling him I had no interest in it, but thankfully I had a friend who was willing to take it off my steam inventory and enjoy it. He kept trying to talk me into buying Company of Heroes for about 4 months before he stopped for some reason, perhaps because it took him that long to get the hint.

As for Left 4 Dead... I had a fair amount of enjoyment from both of them so it wasn't a huge waste. Maybe it's just that I enjoy co-op games the most.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2012, 05:50:59 pm »

Age of Conan. I have no idea why we bought it. I think we had one really fun experience in Beta (some crazy PVP or something).

Also "The Guild 2". That one I blame on you guys. At the time my wife was reading "The Good Earth" trilogy and it the game sounded like something out of the second or third book. Instead it was a pile of bugs and broken scripts.

Seraphim342

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Cum Laude
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2012, 11:25:43 pm »

Worst game I ever bought because of friends was probably Game of Thrones: Genesis.  I warned them that movie-based games are always terrible, especially strategy games.  Ended up getting it on release due to constant pestering, and it was even worse than I could have possibly imagined.  Close second and third and fourth are Command and Conquer 4, Command and Conquer 3, and Command and Conquer Generals.  Also, Red Alert 3.  Rabid fan of C&C, Red Alert, Tiberian Sun, and RA2, but the second EA bought out Westwood the series went into a fatal tailspin into complete suck.  They even *ruined* Earth and Beyond, which was easily one of the best MMOs I ever played... of course, my friends and I always hoped the next one would be better so we just kept running on the brand loyalty treadmill. 

Games I was surprised by, to top the list, would have to be Minecraft, Heroes of Annihilated Empires, and Valkyria Chronicles.  Buddy in college pestered me for months to play Minecraft, had no interest because it had worse graphics than Half-Life.  Played it once, bought it that night, and eventually ended up at Dwarf Fortress which has ruined all other games for me. 

HoAA I picked up for $3 on a steam sale, played it, got addicted, got all my friends playing it, then was emotionally devastated to hear the sequels had been canned.  Would have been absolutely amazing.  Valkyria Chronicles I picked up used from a gamestop bin, found out it was the best squad-based tactical RPG I'd ever played and spent months hounding my friends to get it, who eventually relented and loved it.  So, a bit of inversion on that one. 
I like to think that on the other side of the world a human is walking on the beach, notices the water level suddenly drop twenty feet, and whispers "fucking dwarves."

"The cows seem to lose bowel control when launched... I consider this a feature."

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2012, 11:55:17 pm »

A friend convinced me into buying Warcraft 3 so that we could play multiplayer. I found the game really boring, though. Like I hate RTSes where the units just dispassionately smack each other over the head for 10 minutes while horrible particle effects flood the screen. And this was basically that nightmare come true. It didn't help that that guy was much more into these sorts of RTSes and could kick my ass easily. Eventually I just "lended" it to someone else who would enjoy it (without ever asking to return it).

Don't think I've allowed friends to influence my purchasing decisions that much since then, though.

I love Warcraft for the custom maps. The base game can kiss my ass, I've played decade old RTS games with better strategic depth and gameplay.

Warcraft 3 is a decade-old RTS game... (almost, at least).

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2012, 12:03:13 am »

Hm. I liked Dead Island, and Supreme Commander 2. I like the superheavy artillery on that game. Never been a nuke guy myself, too easy to countermeasure. I just blind fire the big cannons at the enemy base and wait. Move the aim point occasionally.

And RE6. And that's about it for games I didn't like.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2012, 01:42:55 am »

Hm. I liked Dead Island, and Supreme Commander 2. I like the superheavy artillery on that game. Never been a nuke guy myself, too easy to countermeasure. I just blind fire the big cannons at the enemy base and wait. Move the aim point occasionally.

They can't counter nukes when they are on your team...

hehehe.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2012, 02:39:20 am »

A friend convinced me into buying Warcraft 3 so that we could play multiplayer. I found the game really boring, though. Like I hate RTSes where the units just dispassionately smack each other over the head for 10 minutes while horrible particle effects flood the screen. And this was basically that nightmare come true. It didn't help that that guy was much more into these sorts of RTSes and could kick my ass easily. Eventually I just "lended" it to someone else who would enjoy it (without ever asking to return it).

Don't think I've allowed friends to influence my purchasing decisions that much since then, though.

I love Warcraft for the custom maps. The base game can kiss my ass, I've played decade old RTS games with better strategic depth and gameplay.

Warcraft 3 is a decade-old RTS game... (almost, at least).

Woops... I meant decade old games when I started playing back in 06/07. Warcraft 3 is definitely that old now, yea. Still, even for the time period it had pretty meh gameplay. The only real interesting thing was heroes; the actual RTS elements like units, large combat, and base construction were all very bland.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2012, 07:15:53 am »

They can't counter nukes when they are on your team...

hehehe.

They can't counter a barrage of superheavy artillery blindfired at their ACU either. :)
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2012, 07:35:05 am »

In recent memory Diablo III would fit the bill.  I was thoroughly disappointed with it, although I think people have gone into the whys of that enough times that I'll spare everyone a repeat.

Before that, it was probably Cataclysm for World of Warcraft.  It wasn't bad I reckon, but it was definitely not enough to keep me interested in WoW, and I quit very shortly after reaching the level cap.  They changed so many things, and I just didn't really feel like figuring it all out again.

My younger brother got me to buy both of those when he did so we could play together.  In both cases they're games I was likely to buy anyway, and we didn't end up playing together very much, but I definitely don't buy up stuff like he does anymore.  He's made a number of amazingly bad decisions on which games to preorder.  Final Fantasy 14 (I think) would be an example of that.

As for games that I actually liked, the only one coming to mind is Borderlands.  I'd have never played it if my friends didn't literally buy it for me, but it was actually pretty fun.
Through pain, I find wisdom.
Pages: 1 [2]