Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: Let's make a roguelike, amateur programming at its... finest?  (Read 21455 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Let's make a roguelike, amateur programming at its... finest?
« Reply #90 on: November 06, 2012, 03:08:40 pm »

Posting to watch
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #91 on: November 06, 2012, 05:02:36 pm »

Shouldn't each creature have its own inventory, included where the rest of its stats are?

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 06, 2012, 05:05:52 pm »

Yeah, decided to do that.  Now I just have to handle generating new items...

lemmily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BatFinchBears
« Reply #93 on: November 06, 2012, 07:36:27 pm »

post to watch!

Also, I'm very curious as I have embarked on a "real" game project after spending several months passively making a few mini prototypes :) Though it's very much a personal project and I'm doubting I'll ever show it publicly at the moment as I don't know how high my motivation will stay. And if it will be end up as another passively worked on project :/

Also ...also.. I have my monsters as an object and they will have an inventory array variable that will hold any items they have :) (they have the variable, but it does not ever actually contain anything yet..... soon, hopefully soon ;) )
I make furry things - BatFinch Bears

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 06, 2012, 10:11:39 pm »

If your creatures are objects, and objects have an inventory, then you accidentally created chests.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 06, 2012, 10:27:19 pm »

What are enemies but organic chests that fight?

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 06, 2012, 10:32:56 pm »

What are enemies but organic chests that fight?
wait I can stuff enemies into enemies I wonder...
Wonder if one could jump into a still living bear then watch as the rest of the wildlife beat up that bear to get to me?
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 06, 2012, 11:00:39 pm »

Clearly you must now allow mobs to pick up other mobs and wield them as weapons a la Phantom Brave.

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
« Reply #98 on: November 06, 2012, 11:40:44 pm »

If your creatures are objects, and objects have an inventory, then you accidentally created chests.

That's pretty much what I did, except not on accident. It works pretty good as long as you aren't imagining them stuffing objects into themselves via orifice... just cuz that's a little creepy
Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 07, 2012, 12:02:23 am »

"The ogre has no backpack and is carrying three logs?  Well, one hand, two hand, three... lube?"

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 07, 2012, 03:42:33 pm »

"The ogre has no backpack and is carrying three logs?  Well, one hand, two hand, three... lube?"
Oh dear.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 08, 2012, 05:03:03 pm »

Finally caught up on this.

Several thoughts:

1) Weapon Damage - It's important to remember that weapon damage depends a lot on what you're hitting. That copper sword, for instance, isn't going to be good against someone in a hauberk as a steel sword would. It'll work just fine, though, when stabbing a guy wearing a linen shirt. The fact that it's copper and not steel doesn't really matter as both the shirt and flesh are pretty weak compared to it.

Also, blunt weapons tend to care less about wear and tear than edged weapons do. A blunted blade won't cut as well, while a dented mace is going to hit just as hard. A severely deformed mace might be awkward to swing, and you get into problems with the item breaking, but that's about it.

2) Inventory:
  I'd assume the Ogre is holding all three in a bundle over one shoulder. Or maybe 1 over one shoulder and 2 over the other.

A neat system I saw once, which I can't remember off hand where, was to give each item a Weight and a Size. That way you could carry lots of small, light objects, or 1 really big heavy object, or maybe 1 really big but light object. Ideally, you'd have a way of noting that some items are bulky but can be bundled. A 10' pole is kind of a pain, since it's long and unwieldy. But you can bundle 6 of them together and it's not much harder to carry about than the single one.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 03, 2013, 08:42:12 am »

So!  Looking over the Other Games forum a bit, I've noticed a trend.  People want a survival game.  UnReal World, Cataclysm, Wayward, Harvest Moon, maybe a little Animal Crossing, along with multiplayers like Haven and Hearth, Wurm, and Minecraft with Terrafirmacraft...people like these games of "farming sim gone hardcore."

I've played UnReal World and Harvest Moon. And I'm a bit familiar with Minecraft. The rest I've never heard of. I can see some similarities. Some.

I found some fun in Harvest Moon... for a while. The farming gets repetitive after a while. The romance and dating-sim aspect is probably the more interesting part.

Growing up on a farm, I can tell you that in real life it's pretty boring, dirty, tedious, and hard work. Even so, there is something about gardening and seeing the fruits of your labor - especially in trying something new, experimenting with unusual varieties. Just look through a large (preferably color) seed catalog some time and try not to be tempted to buy some of their seeds.

I can appreciate the realism and details that went into UnReal World. It's more a simulation than anything else. But that's a problem for me. Personally, it's far too boring as it leaves out all the fantasy, mystical, mythical, and magical stuff in typical roguelikes that might otherwise keep me interested.

A rather unusual implementation of "farming" might be the "Orchard" part of the Legend of Mana (PS1). Instead of planting seeds directly, you give certain combinations of seeds to the talking tree behind your house. He "plants" and cares for the seeds and grows the fruit on his branches. It has silly and colorful fruits like Boarmelon (watermelon shaped like a boar), Diceberry (dice-shaped strawberry), Lilipods (pea pods open up like a lily), Springanana (spiral banana), etc. And each has a use to feed to your pets, raising stats in different ways.

(Actually, I found the Golem Workshop to be more interesting. You can use extra armor and weapons to build golem parts and "logic blocks", which fit together like a puzzle to dictate how the golem behaves. And the magical armor and weapon forging was complex and fun, too. Though, there is something to be said for finding monster eggs, raising them on your ranch, and training them to fight by your side. The choice of which monsters to raise and use is interesting, in itself. Though, honestly, I found the pet raising system of Well of Souls to be better. You don't find eggs, but you tame wild monsters. I loved how we could feed unwanted weapons and armor to our pets. :) )

Aside from Dwarf Fortress, another farming implementation that I found interesting was the one in Ancient Domains of Mystery. The growing pattern of the herbs are based on Conway's Game of Life. And the herbs are very useful.

Obviously, the sense of accomplishment in overcoming obstacles or figuring out a method is a primary way gamers get fun and satisfaction. Beyond that, discovering new things is another aspect of games. And so is the sense of acquiring status (such as a score or fame or "unlocking" accomplishments) or things of value (gold, treasure, items, weapons, armor, etc).

I'm just saying that farming in a game, by itself, does not seem that appealing. But if it is linked with something else, such as raising pets a certain way or having certain crops for specific uses, that adds to it.

The only issue is that it never quite fits the bill.  Usually it's too easy - once you set your wheat in the ground then the game's over.  You've got infinite free food and bears are the most dangerous thing that doesn't hunt you so you can just not go into caves and do perfectly fine.

You have some good points. With rare exception, when I play a game there comes a point where I find (in my mind) serous faults with the design. As you say, it often "never quite fits the bill" in terms of what I would have done. And I have to agree that - particularly with farming games and farming aspects - it usually is too easy.

3: Gain employees - Many farming sims fail here, you can only maintain so many tiles of crop before you run out of time in the day to tend them all.  Delegating jobs to employees will be essential.  You can set up a shack by the river and fish your life, sure, but you can also run a farm of a dozen employees, tending the fields, husbanding the animals (giggity), cooking food, and all the menial chores that one person just can't do alone.

This reminds me of the Tropico series of simulation games. Personally, I found it pretty boring. The appeal of simulations like Sim City, I can understand. But what is the appeal of everyday employee and farm management?

Single-level, I don't see much spelunking here.  I may steal Ultima Ratio Regime's idea of "each tile has a height" instead of doing blocky maps.  More than likely I'll go UnReal World's style though (And Cataclysm), letting you build a floor+ceiling tile that prevents weather and does some fun things with how heat and light works.

Too bad. I enjoy spelunking and dungeon crawling in games, particularly roguelikes and RPGs like Daggerfall and Morrowind. And mining is one of the things that attracted me to Dwarf Fortress.

Perhaps you could do something like the simple terrain elevation in the GearHead RPG? Certain isometric tiles represent slopes and it only allows a few levels of height.

Or maybe have the occasional dungeon entrance on the surface that leads to a 1 level deep - but sprawling - maze-like dungeon? It shouldn't be too hard to implement. There are plenty of code examples for random dungeon map generators, if one knows where to look.

I'd highly suggest swapping to Python.  The syntax is similar enough that you can swap over if you already know C++, but everything is so much easier to write.

I can't find the links right now, but there are some websites dedicated to helping fans create their own roguelike games. They have stuff like design advice and source code. And communities to help each other. I'm not sure whether any of it is Python, but I know a lot of it is some flavor of C.

Zombies are kinda overdone, so I'd say drop them. Everything else sounds pretty good though. I especially like the idea of modifying terrain, it seems like not a lot of roguelikes do that sort of thing.
Indeed, I am tired of the zombie fad in both movies and games. Hollywood likes to beat a trend to death if they sniff profitability. They did the same thing with vampires and time travel and now it appears they're trying to milk the superhero genre for all it's worth. They've ruined whole genres for me. Sadly, the originals are usually better - or at least more fondly remembered.

Zombies... perhaps. Either you're making a zombie game or you're not. I don't know of any games with zombies where the focus is not zombies because of the nature of zombies.
Generally, I'd have to agree that a game either has a zombie focus or not. However, there are a few exceptions. Dwarf Fortress has zombies, but they've never been the main focus. And while it isn't finished yet, zombies are not really the focus to the isometric game The Pocolypse webcomic creators are making - there's much, much more to it than that.

If you do have zombies, I suggest trying to either make them fresh/different or at least not the focus.

For a different twist, I am reminded of the Zombie Ranch webcomic. The zombies themselves are fairly typical. However, as all the farmable animals in the world are dead, the survivors and remnants of civilization were forced to EAT zombies for sustenance! :o And they turn them into other products. They have ranches where they feed and care for zombies like cattle, being careful not to get bit. I'm sure they process them carefully, cooking them and spicing them up... but... YUCK!

The zombies I would use would be one of two ways, either the ancient Scandinavian Draugr, or some type of ancient zombie/vampire, because old legends are a bit similar.  While Skyrim has popularized the Draugr, the old legends are of a warrior possessed back to life by whatever means, become immortal and consumed with bloodlust, unstoppable in its rampage until somehow lured back to set foot in his grave, which would tie him back to the earth.  The other option would be a sort of "live zombie" idea.  Not a shambler, but an active human being with all the speed and coordination as the player, and perhaps just slightly less thought than the average NPC.  They would be quick and dangerous, hard to deal with and liable to sneak into the farm at night and feast on fresh cow corpses.

Skyrim may have popularized them, but Revenants in games go back a ways. D&D had them since either 1st or 2nd edition. Personally, I don't like the concept because they're just too tough. They're like the demons in Dwarf Fortress. Also, I always hated the concepts of "fast zombies" and "smart zombies". In my mind, if they are either, they are not zombies. Hollywood tried to put a new spin on them to make them scarier and more interesting.

Your mention of the Scandinavian Draugr instantly brings to mind the Ragnarok game for DOS (also known as Valhalla). It is one of my favorite roguelikes, right up there with GearHead and Dwarf Fortress. The Draugr in Ragnarok are like the Revenant in D&D in that they are very hard to kill and even after death they just come back to life. (You usually have to eat the Draugr to prevent this.)

Speaking of Ragnarok, I loved it for the choice in classes (you could be an alchemist to create potions, a blacksmith to forge stuff, a scribe to write magic scrolls, etc) and all the interesting things to do and stuff to find. The wands, scrolls and potions are all interesting. One of the potions, for example, lets you bring inanimate objects to life, much like Micky Mouse animated that mop in Fantasia. Blacksmithing lets you forge all kinds of stuff.

Scrolls let you do stuff like extinct an entire species or add charges to wands. My favorite is the Wand of Wishing, which is incredibly powerful. I usually wish for a stack of 100 Hel Dragon corpses as eating them permanently increases CON (and hit points).

There's all sorts of interesting creatures, too. The Weird Fume can mutate you, which sounds bad, but it has useful benefits. It can cause you to grow more fingers, which replaces any you lost in battle and allows you to wear more magic rings. It can cause you to grow more eyes, which replaces any you lost and allows you to see behind you and more accurately, etc. Eating certain herbs and things is useful, too. Like a mushroom that grants you heat vision like Superman. And picking up diamond needles... while it hurts you, if you survive you become an esper and can kill with your mind across the map.

Oh, and then there's journeying to different dimensions! When I find a wand of wishing I'll wish for a stack of 100 empty vials and travel to the realm of magic pools, filling up and drinking magic potions to my heart's content. And then there's the hyperdimensional cube, which (if orange) can slow down time itself!

And then there's the "Sorcerer" creature. It will randomly transform stuff in your inventory to other stuff - unless it is stored inside your bag of holding. Or, if you wear a silver mantle you are protected from their spells. But randomly changing your worthless stuff can be extremely profitable!

...Ah, fun times! :D

This premise is surprisingly similar (identical, even) to the roguelike that I'm planning. If the languages weren't so different, I would suggest a big collabo.

Hrm...I need to do the exact same as you...we should be study buddies XD

I am just starting to work on my own roguelike as well and like you I have dipped into C++ multiple times and never followed through with it. Til now of course where I decided that I am just gonna do it already and quit making excuses.
PTW. You should definitely make it moddable to a point, at least having objects and reactions in a .xml somewhere, so we can help.
I'm slowly making a roguelike myself. I have to have both the time and desire to work on it, so it advances rarely. I'm using C++ because I like doing things the hard way? C++ is not a good language if you want to make a roguelike (or roguelikelike). You made a good switch. I hope you have more dedication than I do as well, because this could be quite interesting.

You should consider teaming up. You'd be more likely to succeed.

Growing up, I had a strong desire to learn programming and make games. So much so that I bought a small library of how-to books and majored in Computer Science for a while. Sadly, I never did much with any of that before I found a different focus. But I did learn a few things.

One of these pearls of wisdom is that it's very easy to start a big project, but it can be very, very difficult to see one through to the end. I've seen countless indie and fan-made games and game mods started... never to be finished. Usually, it's because they bit off more than they could chew. That, and real life has a way of intruding or wearing down enthusiasm.

Another thing I noticed is that indie projects involving more than one person often have more impressive end results and seem a bit more likely to succeed. (Commercial games have large teams of game designers, programmers, artists, etc, and it usually shows.) That said, if a project relies too much on one person and that person quits or goes on permanent hiatus, the whole thing can fall apart.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 08:47:33 am by Thundercraft »

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #103 on: February 03, 2013, 09:12:20 am »

Wow, didn't see this thread in a while. I advise you to look at the timestamps.
Also, huge post = interesting reading. Happens I'm making a little game that acts like a frontend for a plant simulation (Probably going to be a varient of SWAT with ALMANAC...). O_o I think what you saud about farming is very relevant :D Thanks for the food for thought. Gotta find a way to make it not boring...

I happen to use C++, too, mostly for the fact that that's the one I learned first >.> Does tend to be a bit slooow. Anyhow, if Girlinhat still has thoughts of doing this, I'd be interested in collab. xD

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]