Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Moments of why does that dwarf have to be doing that job at that time  (Read 2042 times)

Captain Willy

• Bay Watcher
  • I like rum.
    • View Profile

God damn it, my original 7, broker, chief medical dwarf, just had to be changing a cage trap, and that damn troll that has been sulking in the caverns just had to come through my fortress at that time.

This BS moments ever happen to anyone else?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 05:41:17 pm by Captain Willy »

darkgloomie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Moments of why does that dwarf have to doing that job
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 07:04:16 pm »

my manager randomly decided he really needs to go melt some objects, despite there being 4+ Furnace Operators around.

Not as crippling as what you got, but I try to avoid giving important dwarves jobs that bring them too much outside.

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 07:06:38 pm »

Right. Let the administrators administrate and someone else do all the work. I usually have this problem for the first few seasons, when I want a manager but the only semi-useless dwarf I have is my jeweler/crafter. And then he becomes useful, but I forget to re-assign the management position.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

Captain Willy

• Bay Watcher
  • I like rum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 07:08:02 pm »

........So I'm about to rage quit. My master weapon/armor smith got a mood, he needed stone. Buuuuuuut instead of using the the perfectly good limestone next to him, he took a trip to the caverns for a nice hunk of gneiss. He was then gang f**ked by some rutherers.

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 07:32:39 pm »

I'm guessing you had limestone set as "economic."
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 09:35:10 pm »

Right. Let the administrators administrate and someone else do all the work. I usually have this problem for the first few seasons, when I want a manager but the only semi-useless dwarf I have is my jeweler/crafter. And then he becomes useful, but I forget to re-assign the management position.

That's why I make one of my starting seven my ultranoble. Basically all administrative positions and skills rolled into one; Bookkeeper, manager, mayor and broker. It helps me stay attached enough to him to build him a luxurious palace, too.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 01:34:07 am »

That, or the gneiss was closer in X,Y,Z coordinates. After all, the game doesn't take the actual path in account, so if something is closer in coordinates, the dwarf will grab it, never mind he has to walk all across the world to reach the rock...

Just to make what I said a bit more clear: A rock that is six floors bellow the dwarf is considered closer than the one seven tiles away through straight path.
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Zivilin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Science Division
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, 08:11:26 am »

Does anyone else use burrows to combat this? I usually designate a "Fortress" burrow which encompasses the residential and work area of the colony, but does not include the entrance (traps, etc). Then I throw any important dwarves (skilled artisans, smiths, carpenters, masons, manager/bookkeeper, all medical dwarves etc.) and they never stray out of the confines of the fortress. Wood/corpse/equipment hauling on the surface and stone hauling from the deep mines is done by low-skill hauler dwarves, so there are never any significant losses in case of a sudden ambush. This burrow actually doubles as my Civilian Alert burrow.
No signature

melphel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2012, 10:37:11 am »

Let me tell you the tale of Logem Idokurist of The Pale Hatchets, forever to be regarded as a miscreant and a traitor.

All is well in The Pale Hatchets, food and iron are plentiful.  The caravan arrives while the broker, Logem, is in the middle of a party.  I turn off all his labors to make sure that when he decides to leave the party, his only remaining responsibility will be to tend to the merchants.

"Okay," I say to myself, "he can't be there all season, I'll just wait for it to end."

Surely enough he leaves the party eventually, but instead of attending the call of 'Trader requested at depot,' he finds that all that partying has made him thirsty.

I reassure myself, "That can't be helped I suppose, and there is still some time left."

His thirst quenched, the broker now feels drowsy and heads off to a bed for some rest.

"Dammit," I exclaim, now clearly annoyed, "get to the depot and trade already!"

I consider appointing a new broker, or perhaps allowing anyone to trade, but there is still some time left in the season, and I have no one else with skill appropriate for trading.  The alert comes, 'The traders will soon be leaving.'  I hastily check, yet again, to see if Logem has awoken and answered the request.  To my glee he is no longer sleeping.  However, he has 'No Job.'

"I probably checked just as he woke up," my reasoning deferring to optimism, "any second now he will get the job to trade at depot."

Logem, who I will imagine to be groggy and only half-awake, does not go to the trade depot, but instead strolls over to the food stockpile.  He must want some breakfast to offset all the partying and drinking he took part in before his slumber.  In the meantime, I am watching anxiously over the depot for the broker to arrive such that I may begin the trade before the caravan departs.

Something is amiss, he should have arrived by now.  The beds are not that far from the depot.  I query the units screen to find out where my rogue broker is.  If I were not yet in a state identifiable as angered, I certainly am now.

The caravan departs.

A sequence of expletives not befitting to repeating leaves my mouth.  Logem, now energized by his breakfast and with no other tasks, joins a party.  Gruesome and horrifying ideas stir through my head as I contemplate how to give my broker his retribution. 

Alas, I am robbed of the chance to reward the broker his just dues.  A force upwards of forty reanimated corpses has arrived.  Not yet off the map, the caravan is literally torn to pieces, and the army of the undead gains a few more belligerents.  Scattered about the surface lay the articles I had aspired to barter for.  The food will rot on the grass, exposed to the elements.  I have not the time to melancholy over such waste, the zombies pour into the fort.  My militia, thirty strong and ironclad as they were, stood no chance against the swarm of unholy abominations.  Within minutes The Pale Hatchets is reduced to a hovel of toxic miasma and undeath.  Despite logic, I resolve that this is all the fault of Logem Idokurist, derelict broker.  He shall be remembered as a vile traitor, dwarves will spit and yank their beards at the mention of his name.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2012, 11:11:53 am »

Does anyone else use burrows to combat this? I usually designate a "Fortress" burrow which encompasses the residential and work area of the colony, but does not include the entrance (traps, etc). Then I throw any important dwarves (skilled artisans, smiths, carpenters, masons, manager/bookkeeper, all medical dwarves etc.) and they never stray out of the confines of the fortress.
I have a general subterranean burrow that everyone has to stay in most of the time, and if I spy someone wandering outside when they shouldn't be I activate it via civilian alert and they cancel and run back inside. I had to do that recently when the well was sealed off due to FBs and the only other water was the murky pools on the surface. If I could be bothered I'd set up a burrow for the underground minus the caverns, but there's so little to do there that activating the hospital burrow is good enough for forcing stragglers out of the unsecured cavern areas.

Assigning individuals to burrows is too fiddly for me, and the way I divide labour means that the vast majority of dwarves are both artisans and haulers anyway.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Captain Willy

• Bay Watcher
  • I like rum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2012, 05:40:52 pm »

That, or the gneiss was closer in X,Y,Z coordinates. After all, the game doesn't take the actual path in account, so if something is closer in coordinates, the dwarf will grab it, never mind he has to walk all across the world to reach the rock...

Just to make what I said a bit more clear: A rock that is six floors bellow the dwarf is considered closer than the one seven tiles away through straight path.

That seems......silly...

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2012, 05:50:02 pm »

That seems......silly...

Yeah, but that's how it works. I think this problem has existed ever since the first 3D version was released.

In fact, before the feature that made it possible to link stockpiles to workshops was added, we had to be quite creative to ensure that correct materials were used. This is also the reason why I still prefer using "tower" style with central staircase instead of maze of tunnels in few floors.
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

StubbornAlcoholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Moments of why does that dwarf have to be doing that job at that time
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2012, 06:14:36 pm »

God damn it, my original 7, broker, chief medical dwarf, just had to be changing a cage trap, and that damn troll that has been sulking in the caverns just had to come through my fortress at that time.

This BS moments ever happen to anyone else?

Much like the delinquent Broker mentioned above, I once urgently needed my Broker to buy ale for the whole fortress, but had the caravan leave. The reason he wasn't there to place the order?

He was having a fist fight with the Mayor...
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 06:16:41 pm by StubbornAlcoholic »

Zaffre

• Bay Watcher
  • Thou hath uncivil weaponry and an unclean mind.
    • View Profile
Re: Moments of why does that dwarf have to be doing that job at that time
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2012, 09:02:55 pm »

Soon after an embark, I was running out of booze fast. I gave an order to dig out space for a still and dining room and they didn't do it. They were off gathering plants and by the time they came to their senses everyone was upset because there was no alcohol left.

Mimidormi

• Bay Watcher
  • Magnetite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2012, 09:27:40 pm »

-story about loathsome broker-
Feh! What a despicable wretch. I take it that the fortress fell? Please don't tell me he is amongst the survivors, if there are any.

(Nice story :P)
Pages: [1] 2