Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: lava pit bug?  (Read 1269 times)

esran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
lava pit bug?
« on: October 14, 2012, 04:34:26 pm »

i made a lava pit and ordered an undead dumped in it. the undead would not burn. before you ask, the lava does burn dwarves, i know because i lost a dwarf making my first magma forge. is there anything special about pits or undead that make lava not work?

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
Re: lava pit bug?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 04:38:14 pm »

Lava kills by causing lots of bleeding wounds and melting bits. Zombies are immune to death via both of these things.
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 04:41:48 pm »

Magma melts fat and causes bleeding. Stuff that is immune to bleeding to death can't be killed by magma (This also applies to dwarves that have lost all their fat)
It is the same with some really hot biomes where the temperature melts the fat and causes fatal bleeding.
Edit: Oops, wannazzaki beat me to it  :)
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 04:44:06 pm »

Zombies have a hit point based system, instead of going by their wounds, like the above poster said. Best method for disposal is an atom smasher, or dumping them after they have been killed

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 04:49:44 pm »

Zombies have a hit point based system, instead of going by their wounds, like the above poster said. Best method for disposal is an atom smasher, or dumping them after they have been killed

Do they? I'm pretty sure it's a "how many limbs they have left" system. You can take a steel hammer to a zombie until judgement day.
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

esran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 05:03:27 pm »

its just a head. so... damn. whats the best way of mass disposal for zombies?

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 05:07:23 pm »

its just a head. so... damn. whats the best way of mass disposal for zombies?

Sic a bunch of legendary blade users in bossing armour to mince them. You could atom smash them too. I use masterwork and have a rancor pit...so things i don't like go in there.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2012, 05:45:31 pm »

Well, my hammerdwarves seem to not have issues with bashing zombies of all sorts into submission. The only undead hammer- and macedwarves have problems with are husks or thralls, since they require decapitation or bisection to be destroyed...

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2012, 06:01:37 pm »

Do they? I'm pretty sure it's a "how many limbs they have left" system. You can take a steel hammer to a zombie until judgement day.
This is not accurate. Hacking off zombie limbs just creates a zombie limb army. Zombies are incredibly weak to blunt damage, even if the shot "glances away" it's very likely they'll collapse. Bolts are almost always insta-kill as well.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2012, 07:38:06 pm »

That's Dead Space. DF zombies do "collapse" after you hit them enough, although usually they get back up fast enough that no one cares. Especially around necromancers...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.