Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Logic!(D&D, 3.5e-ish)  (Read 2433 times)

Baneling

• Bay Watcher
  • Acid Balloon
    • View Profile
Logic!(D&D, 3.5e-ish)
« on: October 14, 2012, 12:49:07 pm »

The idea of this campaign would be to have an entirely common sense- and logic-based rather than diceroll-based campaign. I'd follow the 3.5e rules where it doesn't interfere, but things like damage would be based on actual damage to limbs and things, more like DF's, than arbitrary health points. Also, less dice rolls - only rolling for stats and combat, and not much at that. Maybe some other things.

For the most part it's things like how hot magical fire is, how much force magic missile exerts and on how small a point. Stuff like that.

The idea of how combat would work is something along the lines of ((attacker's skill with weapon+dexterity)+1d20) - (((defender's dexterity)+(block value of equipment+strength))+1d20).

This way it isn't always-hit or always-miss on a per-enemy basis, but if there's a fight between someone who's been a swordsman for ten years and someone who's just picked up a club for the first time ever the former party isn't going to miss and cut their own foot off or something, which would be silly.

Thoughts? This is not very well-thought out, I'm more putting the idea out there to be picked apart, I doubt I'd actually be setting this up to be played any time soon.
I tend to be a stupid person. Expect me to say/do stupid things and we'll probably get along better!

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
Re: Logic!(D&D, 3.5e-ish)
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 01:09:29 pm »

So basically exactly like any other campaign, but every turn lasts several days due to insane amount of calculations. Gotcha.

You should read up on a game called FATAL, IMO. It also had a ton of variables, but handled it very neatly.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 07:56:56 pm »

You should read up on a game called FATAL, IMO. It also had a ton of variables, but handled it very neatly.

I really, really hope you're joking when you say that.
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 08:08:25 pm »

Could be interesting...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 08:29:03 pm »

I really, really hope you're joking when you say that.
Right then, shall I get the torches and pitchforks out?

Anyway, sounds pretty decent. Got anything planned for a game if you get enough interest?
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Baneling

• Bay Watcher
  • Acid Balloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 02:21:09 am »

Probably not. This is mostly just testing the waters to see if there would be any interest to see if I have a reason to go through a couple rulebooks and change things to fit a set of rules that I write as I go along. Though, honestly, I think most of it could be come up with on the fly as long as numbers for certain things(weapon skills, block values for equipment) were there - it's based on logic and common sense rather than "roll 1d20 to see if the skilled archer accidentally shoots his friends in the back several times".

Lots and lots of GM discretion, basically.
I tend to be a stupid person. Expect me to say/do stupid things and we'll probably get along better!

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 02:30:08 am »

I don't think having a game mechanic as the premise of a campaign is likely to be conducive to a fun campaign. Game mechanics are just method...not theme, or story, or plot.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, 06:06:33 am »

Agreed. I'd probably rather play a high-quality FATAL campaign than a horrible D&D campaign.
I admit that I know little about FATAL...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Baneling

• Bay Watcher
  • Acid Balloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2012, 03:47:10 pm »

Again, the idea is to see what the thoughts of the idea as a mechanic are before I spend a month of writing-time creating a campaign world. I'm not going to have a campaign where the plot is to steal the Gem of Logic or something, if it seems there's enough interest.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2012, 04:37:51 pm »

Maybe do a quick "Tutorial" campaign [Maybe 3 encounters worth] To get people prepared for your system. Preferably something really generic like "Go kill the goblins harrassing the farmlands."

This has a few benefits: 1) We get to see your thing in actions. 2) The characters have a reason to be together before the main campaign so they've had a few experiences prior to the "main campaign"

Just a thought.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2012, 05:03:36 pm »

That sounds like a good idea.
Sig

mesor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2012, 05:05:51 pm »

Sounds good to me.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2012, 05:08:11 pm »

Agreed. I'd probably rather play a high-quality FATAL campaign than a horrible D&D campaign.

Honestly, if you knew anything about FATAL, you wouldn't be saying that. In fact, you would do anything in exchange for all copies to always stay at least 7 miles away from you.
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2012, 06:01:02 pm »

Honestly, if you knew anything about FATAL, you wouldn't be saying that. In fact, you would do anything in exchange for all copies to always stay at least 7 miles away from you.
Well, I assume that it is redeemable by a good GM. And some sanity,
Sig

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2012, 07:31:53 pm »

Character creation requires that you roll for anal circumference. Not redeemable.
Pages: [1] 2