Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: GRIMOIRE: The best RPG of 1996 is now on IndieGogo. Do your duty! Try the demo!  (Read 18559 times)

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: GRIMOIRE: The best RPG of 1996 is now on IndieGogo. Do your duty!
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2012, 02:24:00 am »

Well, he lists Wizardry 7 as something that provided 400+ hours. Anyone here played that to the end and can confirm/deny? I don't like dungeon crawlers, so I dunno.

Anyway, he's announced several release dates before that he never fulfilled. So I'm kinda doubtful anything will come of this. Maybe he's just there to troll the kickstarter craze.

I kinda like the video, though. He's like a younger, nerdier version of Mr. Plinkett.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2012, 04:47:21 am »

Well, he lists Wizardry 7 as something that provided 400+ hours. Anyone here played that to the end and can confirm/deny? I don't like dungeon crawlers, so I dunno.

Anyway, he's announced several release dates before that he never fulfilled. So I'm kinda doubtful anything will come of this. Maybe he's just there to troll the kickstarter craze.

I kinda like the video, though. He's like a younger, nerdier version of Mr. Plinkett.

I did not play it to the end, but I can't possibly see it going on in a reasonably entertaining way for 400 hours.

People just need to stop pulling numbers out of their asses to measure the length of gameplay.

This guy is either some troll, or it is a genuine game and will just turn out to be so ok its average.

I will go through the points from a very critical POV:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

But my favourite thing is the table

Spoiler: The Table (click to show/hide)

Don't get me wrong, if it turns out to be the best thing in existance, then wonderful. I just can't help but to think that all this is just hype.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Theoboldi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2012, 05:17:25 am »

The emphasis in the game is on the story, exploration, discovery, character advancement, puzzle solving, strategic phased combat, treasure hunting, inventory management and interaction with the non-player characters encountered during play.

So he's basically saying the game focuses on everything. I'll take a closer looks at the rest of it later, but seriously, what is this I don't even.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2012, 10:02:09 am »

There's Legend of Grimrock if you don't mind a more stream-lined user friendly first-person dungeon crawl. I had a lot of with it.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2012, 10:16:50 am »

Grimrock is good, it's just a little....limited, compared to the games it draws inspiration from. I'd recommend Dungeon Master 2: The Legend of Skull Keep.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2012, 10:38:05 am »

Over 1% funded! What's amusing is that if this had been made by some nobody and put on kickstarter instead of indiegogo, it would probably be raking in cash by the truckload.

Oh yeah and, as anyone who watched the pitch video may have noticed, Cleve has been posting gameplay videos for the past month or so. Unfortunately I don't think any of them feature his excellent narration, but check them out if you want to see more of the game. They are all listed here: https://www.youtube.com/user/TexasArcane/videos

Well, he lists Wizardry 7 as something that provided 400+ hours. Anyone here played that to the end and can confirm/deny?
I can't put an exact number on it, but no Wiz7 is not 400 hours long. Cleve must've played it 4 or 5 times and added all the time together :D

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2012, 11:03:40 am »

Noticed on http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/grimoire-kickstarter.75724/page-17
I reckon all of you are going to eat crow when I sail through the $750,000 mark about 30 days in.

If I was not the author of this game and could get a copy free, I personally would not hesitate a second to get the $100.00 pledge. I'd give anything to have a hardbacked manual and full solution guide for a game like that.

Sorry but you guys are underestimating me again. Grimoire is legion. It is the world's greatest vaporware in the history of mankind and when it goes to release anybody who did not get the physical goods is going to have a lifetime of regrets. I know what my own game is worth to hardcore players.

I had no idea who that guy was or ever heard about Grimoire at all before i noticed this indiegogo campaign on a few boards like this one.
But if he starts to go at it with this kind of board post, this campaign will at least be entertaining to watch even if i don't really care about that game :D

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2012, 11:38:59 am »

I think the author's enormous ego just adds to his hilarity. Regardless of gameplay "length," I quite like these types of games.

casserol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2012, 01:28:50 pm »

Epicest of the epics trailers.

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2012, 01:44:27 pm »

Over 1% funded! What's amusing is that if this had been made by some nobody and put on kickstarter instead of indiegogo, it would probably be raking in cash by the truckload.

The crazy thing is that I'm guessing some people haven't realized that the difference Indiegogo and Kickstarter is that Cleve still gets his money regardless of the goal.  So I imagine the two idiots who met the 250 and 500 mark will be in for a surprise unless they cancel their credit cards real quick.

[codexradar]Then again... I'm willing to bet those two guys are cleve alts.[/codexradar]

Still, Cleve will be laughing his way to the bank.  He'll probably even be able to upgrade his VHS of "Chronicles of Riddick" to blu-ray!  Then he could develop "Corpse Krew" and "Vault-OS" in peace.

For those unfamiliar with Cleve, he's the Andy Kaufman of the super-old-school RPG community.  As I alluded to in my previous post, he was bedroom programming Commodore games before half you were were born (mid-1980's).  He was a senior editor for Ahoy! magazine (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahoy!), and has been active on the internet since the days of Usenet.  At somepoint he lodged himself into Saint Proverbius' Fallout community, Vault 13, who then spun off into the RPGCodex.

Since then, it's been a question of if he's an Andy Kaufmann level performance art trolling genius, or just batshit insane.  For example, alot of the seedier memes of the RPGCodex were cultivated by almost entirely by Cleve.  ITZ, KWA, racism, and antisemitism; all ironic injokes that started with Cleve and are running gags years later.

Still, I'm not entirely sure Cleve hasn't completely lost his mind by now.  Not to out any other Codexers, but have you guys checked out http://vault-co.blogspot.com/ recently?  I'm pretty sure he's going beyond parody now.

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2012, 02:22:07 pm »

vault co is a goldmine

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2012, 02:55:28 pm »

64 intelligent NPCs with 8000+ Words in Vocabulary

Intelligent? Im curious as to what makes these NPC's "Intelligent".

Full Sentence Communication with NPCs

What? So they can actually understand what you say and respond dynamically? Doubt it. It will probably turn out to be some sort of thing that just tries to match the user input to a list of inputs and responds appropriately. Much like the conventional tree-conversation thing except more annoying to use.

My guess: since he is using Wizardry VIII as ref, it's going to be one of those "type sensitive chars" dialogue-tree system. Which is annoying and outdated as hell. It was outdated by the release-date of several of the games in his chart of references.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2012, 03:01:17 pm »

Actually you should know Chairman that this entire game is "outdated" it is in essence a classic game faults and all.

He basically tried to bring it to its natural perfection.

Which I scoff at because the way the inventory is handles makes me mad. I had to deal with that in Lands of Lore (DANG that was a tough game... Ever play a game where "secrets" are actually how you are expected to solve the puzzle?)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2012, 03:40:08 pm »

There is "retro" and there is just "old". I think "typing" conversation systems are something that should not be rescued from the dustbin of history unless your game AI is turing-test-positive.  :P
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2012, 03:43:33 pm »

There is "retro" and there is just "old". I think "typing" conversation systems are something that should not be rescued from the dustbin of history unless your game AI is turing-test-positive.  :P

True.

Mind you "typing" conversation systems have been awsome in games before. While not very impressive a game the one that does it the coolest for me is Albion.

It was just so interesting being able to talk about anything to any character. Even if they often said the same thing... annoyingly.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6