Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: GRIMOIRE: The best RPG of 1996 is now on IndieGogo. Do your duty! Try the demo!  (Read 18549 times)

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: GRIMOIRE: The best RPG of 1996 is now on IndieGogo. Do your duty!
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2012, 10:29:27 am »

There's a lot of ways good turn-based and good real-time games differ besides the actual time model.

Turn-based tends to have more difficult encounters, because you have all the time in the world to make the best decision possible. With real-time they have to give you some leeway due to how you need to make immediate decisions.

Also, when you can beat enemies by running backwards and having ranged units attack them without them being able to fight back, then that's a significant style difference. It's more like the difference between the Wizardry series and the later Might & Magic games. One is strictly about using RPG rules (and min-maxing them), the other you can beat by circle-strafing like in some FPS.

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 04:56:15 pm by TripJack »

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Apparently that's not the "complete" demo, though, according to his message from the last one.

I have quite a few things to do. As a minimum I have to put the URL into the new demo of where our new campaign is running so I have to package up the demo this weekend for installation.

When the new site is ready I will put the link to it up on this one and will mail it out to all who have previously pledged, just so they will know where it is.

All pledgers will be getting the super demo by private email. The public demo will be available to everybody but only those who pledged at least $25 will get the super demo which will be roughly equivalent in size to the original demo released in 1997.

I'm still waiting on this SUPER DEMO.

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

my projections indicate a probable super demo release sometime in 2019

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile

Apparently the "Achievement of Funding Goals" remain identical for this new kickstarter, despite the goal only being 10% of the original kickstarter.

Hmmm...
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

alexpoysky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Guys, come on. He is obviously trolling. Do you guys know how a ponzi scheme works?

Indiegogo 1 served one purpose, to pay into making a slapstick demo. He had an inflated 250 k funding price for this reason, he had no intention of reaching it, he wanted to fall WAAAY short so that he could justify indiegogo 2.

Indiegogo 2 launches with an awesome demo, providing feedback to teh general masses that he is , in fact, working on this. He sets his indiegogo limit down to a tenth so people are more inclined to pay into it, feeling it'll be a good buy.

Indiegogo 2 reaches funding, and by 2015 we'll have some sort of slapped together at the last minute game. There have been DOZENS of cases like this. I'm not being unreasonably angry, honestly I don't care about the game itself, I just want to save you guys the trouble :S.

Trust me, I've helped quite a few kickstart projects get put together, some people are just after the cash.
Poysky Productions

Robosaur

• Bay Watcher
  • [POOP:INORGANIC: NUCLEAR_BOMBS]
    • View Profile

man this thread is a reall... SKEPTIC TANK!
You are a terrible person and the sad truth is deep down you know it.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

man this thread is a reall... SKEPTIC TANK!

Genius pun. Sigging this.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Bump to say the super demo did come out but is laughably optimized and unplayable. Opening the menu alone can take a whole minute on a dual core, 3ghz cpu with 6GB of RAM and a nice video card. Considering this was started in the mid-90's, my guess is none of those things actually matter.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile

You just don't have the hardware to handle it. He planned for it to be the best thing ever, and it'll really only come into its own on hardware circa 2050.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Guys, come on. He is obviously trolling. Do you guys know how a ponzi scheme works?

That isn't what a troll is... >_<

But that does make sense given that... honestly a game like this would be more well known then it currently is.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile

Thank you for bumping this, the videos were a good laugh. 

As for the game, yeah, I played Commodore 64 games my father bought when I was old enough to punch buttons and just BARELY understand what the heck was going on - stuff like old Bard's Tale games were classic.  I'd probably play this if a real game of it came out, and the price were reasonable.  No way I'm giving to an indiegogo, though.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No one trusts Indiegogo and for good reasons. It is called "Where Kickstarter projects go to die"

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

After four years, I'm surprised it's still a thing at all. But yeah, development hell is never kind to the product that gets stuck in it, particularly if the quality was... suspect to start with.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

At least this game or... "game" came up with the ingenius idea of recruiting party members but resurrecting long dead corpses and skeletons.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6