Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: GRIMOIRE: The best RPG of 1996 is now on IndieGogo. Do your duty! Try the demo!  (Read 18553 times)

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
Re: GRIMOIRE: The best RPG of 1996 is now on IndieGogo. Do your duty!
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2012, 05:55:46 pm »

There is "retro" and there is just "old". I think "typing" conversation systems are something that should not be rescued from the dustbin of history unless your game AI is turing-test-positive.  :P
Considering that your coplayers in an MMO are (at least supposed to be) Turing-positive, I don't know if that's a good criterion...

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2012, 05:48:42 pm »

more than 2% funded!

also cleve has posted Sooper Seekret Update #1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPrOsNehxsM

i'm not sure how or why it's a sooper seekret, but who cares?

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2012, 11:55:04 pm »

Wow.  That may have been the most Kodexian thing since the Warriors of Diversity.

varsovie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2012, 12:26:18 am »

They now offer WIFI in asylums?

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2012, 09:43:19 am »

I do not regret my contribution. That video was hilarious and I am sure the game will be quite nice.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2012, 06:07:51 pm »

They now offer WIFI in asylums?

It depends on the Asylum.

Some Asylums (usually private) feel more like resorts with therapists, psychologists, and psychiatrists.

These probably become a lot less common when Asylums actually started to become non-terrible.

As well it depends on your exact form of insanity.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2012, 03:42:46 pm »

Holy crap how is this a thing? The game looks terrible. And. Shit man. How can people be supporting this even ironically?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2012, 04:06:05 pm »

Holy crap how is this a thing? The game looks terrible. And. Shit man. How can people be supporting this even ironically?

Because it is "Retro" and "Indie" thus any flaws you see are actually possitives.

So by Terrible you obviously mean wonderful. I mean don't you know the rules?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 04:20:09 pm by Neonivek »

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2012, 04:56:22 pm »

How can people be supporting this even ironically?
some people played and enjoyed similar dungeon crawlers in the 90s/80s, and as the genre has generally been dead for quite some time they would welcome a game like grimoire

what's the problem?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 04:58:24 pm by TripJack »

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2012, 07:46:48 pm »

I liked those kind of games. I remember playing quite a bit of the old Ultimas (like this but top down?) when I was younger. Of course there were better games out by then, but my PC was kind of awful.

I just like old style RPGs.

alexpoysky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2012, 06:22:04 am »

Two quick things. This is a game I would have played circa 1997 or so, and would play it now out of nostaliga and would probably love it.

But the fact that he's so hell-bent on making a "character" out of himself is just silly. He's doing the same thing that Peter M. did all those years ago, promising things that can't coherently be accomplished witht he scope of what he's doing. How can he take a 20 year old engine (even if worked on retro-actively to fit today's standards) and expect it to be the "best thing ever TM.".

It's not that I don't like indie games, jesus I REPRESENT them for a living here, but he's gone so far out of his way to be "niche" that it's weird. It's like he WANTS to be put down in order to claim that the people who bash on his stuff "don't get him.".

Once again, I WILL play this if it comes out, I WILL probably enjoy it, but I won't for an instant think I'll be getting 600 hours of satisfaction or that this is the best thing since sliced bread. Just put line up your ducks man, don't exaggerate and things will turn out for the best.

Also, he wants a god awful amount of money for what the game is, just saying, this kickstart obsession has to stop.

Poysky Productions

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2012, 07:00:18 am »

How can people be supporting this even ironically?
some people played and enjoyed similar dungeon crawlers in the 90s/80s, and as the genre has generally been dead for quite some time they would welcome a game like grimoire

what's the problem?

The thing is, it still looks like something I made with the Bard's Tale Construction Set when I was in grade school in 1994.  (Look that up on an abandonware site.  It's still better than most Gamemaker releases.)

He started with an already "old school" engine when Diablo, Fallout, and Baldur's Gate were blowing everyone's mind on 100MHz Pentium, 16 *MEGS* of RAM, Win95 platforms, and we've come so far since then.  He's wasn't able to support resolutions above 800x600 until recently.  We're all assuming it can even run on a modern 64bit Win7 system.  I'm willing to bet the damn thing requires DOSBox.  It's a 1993 game being released in 2013.

Grimoire is a pretty hilarious running gag, and I'm sure Cleve will release a hilariously bad game (in-a-Rocky-Horror-Picture-show-kind-of-way), but I'm not willing to troll innocents into throwing their lunch money at this one.  For those who missed my earlier posts in this thread, Cleve was a legit homebrew-bedroom-programmer in the late 80's and early 90's and has since gone off his rocker when Sir-Tech went under.  Because of that last part, he's got a cult following given what an amazing troll he's become.

If you're really looking for this style of RPG, with a modern engine AND a recently released dungeon editor, get Legends of Grimrock. It's a legit indie title (4 guys in a horse stable in Finland, seriously, http://www.grimrock.net/2011/07/14/the-almost-human-team/), universally well-reviewed, receives frequent updates in content (while already being a complete game), and only is 15 dollars.

www.grimrock.net (also on steam, gog, and gamersgate)

alexpoysky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2012, 07:23:17 am »

That's exactly what I mean, it seems like only die-hard dosbox fans will play it, and he wants an insane amount of money, money that he MAY just make. I am still in suspended belief of the fact that people are paying into this, I have half a mind to make a kickstart for a game based on my books and just fart around until I make money to pay a dev house to do it, it's getting THAT bad.
Poysky Productions

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2012, 07:47:32 am »

If you're really looking for this style of RPG, with a modern engine AND a recently released dungeon editor, get Legends of Grimrock. It's a legit indie title (4 guys in a horse stable in Finland, seriously, http://www.grimrock.net/2011/07/14/the-almost-human-team/), universally well-reviewed, receives frequent updates in content (while already being a complete game), and only is 15 dollars.

www.grimrock.net (also on steam, gog, and gamersgate)
Except that's real-time. So not really this style. That's basically like comparing, say, Diablo to Fallout. Just cause it's similar in movement and perspective doesn't mean it's the same style.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2012, 09:49:16 am »

Except that's real-time. So not really this style. That's basically like comparing, say, Diablo to Fallout. Just cause it's similar in movement and perspective doesn't mean it's the same style.
I don't know mate, just look at e.g. Dungeon Master and Wizardry. Only an extremally anal gamer would put these two in separate baskets due to the differences in their approach to combat.
Or, if I may turn your argument around, just because one has real-time combat and the other uses turns doesn't mean the style is different.

As for the acutal game and the whole funding/marketing campaign - I'm glad it exists, that people like Cleve exist, and that they can do insane things like that, beacause it amuses me. And what is our privileged western life about if not seeking amusement? Thus, this project makes my life feel more complete.

Or more emptier. These two concepts seem kinda equivalent lately.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6