Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: GRIMOIRE: The best RPG of 1996 is now on IndieGogo. Do your duty! Try the demo!  (Read 18550 times)

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

2/19: Updates and demo link here!

Grimoire, the Ultimate Retro Old School Computer Fantasy Roleplaying Game that promises 600+ hours of gameplay, has now been in development for seventeen years. It's author, Cleveland Mark Blakemore, is something of an internet legend. For those not in the know, Cleve has been trolling around since usenet days predicting the impending apocalypse and proclaiming himself to be a neanderthalic superhuman with an IQ of at least 190. At some point he moved to Australia and began work on an underground survival bunker, work which continues to this day. And now he is asking for a low low funding goal of $250,000 to help complete the greatest game ever made. It will be so good that you will believe a baby can fly.

If you don't believe me just watch the pitch video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=xDyXSCd2Lp0
now if that is not the best pitch video ever made I don't know what is.

Do your duty and contribute today!
http://www.indiegogo.com/grimoireforever
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 04:56:55 pm by TripJack »

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
Re: GRIMOIRE: The best RPG of 1996 is now on IndieGogo. Do your duty!
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 12:28:25 pm »

PTW, this looks nice!
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 12:56:39 pm »

250k in 121 days. Good luck :P
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 12:59:24 pm »

While this game does not interest me i have to admit: that video was epic i saw all 20 minutes of it.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 01:01:44 pm »

250k in 121 days. Good luck :P
Sounds unrealistic indeed for a game using such oldschool system.

That's probably why those guys added :
Flexible Funding campaign
This campaign will receive all of the funds contributed by Mon Feb 11 at 11:59PM PT

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 01:08:59 pm »

yea while 250k is his ultimate (and rather unlikely) goal, he'll take whatever he can get to help finish the game

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 01:58:34 pm »

Chudinho83, it is true I did say that accidentally during the pitch. Most people who do not suffer from severe autism would realize that was a mistake. See if you have an adult nearby who can explain it to you without getting you overstimulated.

:D

But yeah, this looks pretty good. Probably will donate.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2012, 02:14:20 pm »

Grimoire, the Ultimate Retro Old School Computer Fantasy Roleplaying Game that promises 600+ hours of gameplay

Ohh my... What glorious salespitch!

Retro and Old School.

Also FREEKISHLY Indiegogo actually lets me use a credit card dirrectly unlike Kickstarter...

Also what made me suddenly NOT want to donate is this line: "The most mentally retarded hominids who ever existed"

I hope it gets its funding.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 02:51:39 pm by Neonivek »

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2012, 03:49:41 pm »

Cleveland Mark Blakemore is a individual dynamo of creative energy, of which the average microcomputerist of today is unable to comprehend.

http://archive.org/stream/ahoy-magazine-54/Ahoy_54_June_1988

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, I heard a demo for Grimoire will be out next Tuesday.

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2012, 07:39:44 pm »

haha that's awesome I don't think I've seen that before

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2012, 09:42:50 pm »

Apparently I thought this game was a hoax before I've heard of it. Although now that I have heard of it, I awfully hope it is one.
It takes an awful lot of ego to spend 17 years making an archaic RPG with all the flaws and no modern innovation, to then finally declare it the Holy Grail of RPGs. Crazies gonna crazy.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2012, 11:19:59 pm »

600 Hours???

I always exercise caution when I see this. 600 hours of fun? or 600 hours of leveling up every single character/class/race etc combination and completing every side quest for each one. One is a valid positive point, the other is only a meaningless technicality.

I question how the game mechanics of a Retro Old School Computer RPG could be entertaining for almost a month straight.

Also, I agree with Catastrophic lolcats. This looks like a joke.
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2012, 11:27:29 pm »

Honestly "Hours of fun" is basically an imaginary and often misleading number that cannot actually be measured.

For example "Star Ocean 2" was a 80+ hour game... but that is only if you tried to get every single ending.

Every Nippon Ichi game boasts hundreds of hours of gameplay... but that is only if you do the after game and EVEN Then it is if you do it the long way.

Then EVEN ALL THAT

How many hours are "hours of fun"? If you melted down Disgaeas 500+ hours of gameplay into hours of fun... you MIGHT get 10 hours of it.

It is why when I hear "Hours of gameplay" I just entirely tune it out. It is a meaningless statement that means even less when you think about it.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2012, 01:41:15 am »

Eh, it's reasonable to want to quantify the amount of entertainment of say, a shooter campaign that takes eight hours to complete compared to an RPG that takes thirty or more, even though it's difficult or even futile.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2012, 01:43:10 am »

Eh, it's reasonable to want to quantify the amount of entertainment of say, a shooter campaign that takes eight hours to complete compared to an RPG that takes thirty or more, even though it's difficult or even futile.

To an extent. When the numbers start building to insanely high numbers though. It should be obvious they are just padding.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6