Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Any of you guys know a way to make a creature reliably explode?  (Read 1227 times)

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
Any of you guys know a way to make a creature reliably explode?
« on: October 13, 2012, 08:26:21 pm »

See title.
I'm trying to make a certain creature (Basically a giant metal skinned hexapod with a turret on its back) explode.
The strategy i tried that didn't work is making a material that would be hotter then Adamantine at its boiling point (Which I called death Metal) come out in a cloud during an interaction, but that does nothing.
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Any of you guys know a way to make a creature reliably explode?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 08:35:26 pm »

UNDIRECTED_DUST?

Creeper Cavern should show how to do it well.

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2012, 08:58:37 pm »

Well, the dust certainly DID throw throw it into the air, but the explosion was remarkably nonfatal to either the Bio-Tank or the human next to it.
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2012, 10:04:06 pm »

I just used an itemcorpse for a custom metal (metal seemed more lethal than stone in my tests). The metal has a very high fixed temperature and a very low boiling point - but it also has a syndrome causing bleeding and fever because it wasn't lethal enough. You'll get an explosion with about a 2-tile radius as soon as the creature is killed.

Someone suggested that the creature should also have an attack that kills itself so it can "self-detonate" at will in conjunction with the itemcorpse - I haven't tried it (having a player race capable of self-immolating in any combat situation would get a tad annoying) and I'm not sure how it can be done but you would get the effect of your turret-tank-thing blowing itself up when in close proximity to its enemy.
My wooden badge was delicious.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 03:33:48 am »

A material dust attack using a material with a high fixed temperature combined with making all of the materials in the explodable creature have a low ignite point as well as a low specific heat (this part is important!).  Adjustment can be difficult, but you could use my Bob-Ombs as a foundation, they explode very nicely and have a near 100% chance of killing themselves as well as most things around them in the explosion, and usually wind up lighting things on fire in the process as well, especially in dry climates.
Alternatively, you could use the Creeper Cavern method, which adds a self-destructive syndrome to the dust attack that affects only the exploding creature's species, making the explosion impossible to survive for the exploding creature, although this means that other nearby creatures of the exploder's species will inevitably die if they are even at the fringe of the explosion.  (The bob-omb method makes creatures near the center of the explosion affected more than those at the edge, and the exploding creature is always in the center.)
Both of these methods are 'active' explosions, that is, the creature explodes as an attack and can potentially be killed at a distance without triggering the explosion.  GoombaGeek's method will allow the creature to evaporate into superheated gas on death, although it won't send creature's flying like a material dust attack.  You could use both, though.

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 11:05:55 am »

Well, uh, sorry to waste your help, but I think I'm just gonna take out the whole "kills itself" thing, although the cave in effects might work well.
Also, Indigo, aren't the Bob-Ombs supposed to be able to survive their own explosion? Unless you're ignoring Paper Mario in this case, but...

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 11:47:27 am »

Well, uh, sorry to waste your help, but I think I'm just gonna take out the whole "kills itself" thing, although the cave in effects might work well.
Also, Indigo, aren't the Bob-Ombs supposed to be able to survive their own explosion? Unless you're ignoring Paper Mario in this case, but...

Maaybe... maybe I'll make two types of explosion.  Dust attacks are always pretty hazardous to the attacker though, even if they can survive the dust itself they have a fair chance of being thrown into a wall or landing on their heads.

Revanchist

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you for helping us help you help us all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2012, 11:50:54 am »

How about just setting the material to have a certain [SPEC_HEAT]. That makes it take some time to heat/cool, right?
Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope... Love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticule, and together, achieving a singular purpose against statistically long odds."

People love a happy ending. So every episode, I will explain once again that I don't like people. And then Mal will shoot someone. Someone we like. And their puppy.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2012, 11:52:46 am »

No, SPEC_HEAT simply makes it stay at that temperature, in my experience.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2012, 03:21:32 pm »

No, that's FIXED_TEMP or somesuch. Specific heat is an actual science term.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2012, 03:35:32 pm »

Ah.

I'm an idiot. :/