Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: Confounded logic puzzles  (Read 13679 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Confounded logic puzzles
« on: October 13, 2012, 12:18:24 pm »

Scenario: You're on a tacky game-show, you've survived the Wheel Of Death, beaten all the other contestants in the elimination rounds, and now you're up to the final challenge of the night.

The host speaks: "Before you are doors number 1, 2 and 3, behind one of the doors is a car, the other two have goats. Which door do you want?"

You pick one of the doors, then the host opens another door to reveal a goat.

He speaks again: "Your door could have the car, or does the remaining door have the car? You have one chance swap doors right now before we reveal where the car is, it's 50/50."

What do you do? Do you stick with your door or swap doors? Does it even matter?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 03:05:03 pm by Reelya »

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: A logic puzzle
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 12:21:45 pm »

It doesn't matter, assuming there's actually a car. 50/50 either way.

However, this might be one of those trick games, where none of the doors are actually correct. I'd pick a door, but force the host to open all 3, just so I can be certain there is a car back there and not 3 goats.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2012, 12:24:15 pm »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2012, 12:24:45 pm »

... my question would be what's the reward (is there one?) for picking a door with the car over the door with a goat.

Because if you're reading that somewhat literally, the host's asking which door you want. Not what's behind it. If that's the case, unless there's something special about the individual doors, any door will do.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2012, 12:24:59 pm »

It can be shown using simple probability that you are better off swapping your final choice. Its a classic probability problem.

Darn, Ninja'd
This is a blank sig.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2012, 12:25:10 pm »

I stick with my door.

I'd rather know that I'd never picked the winning prize than I'd picked it, and then changed my mind about it.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2012, 12:27:02 pm »

I'd probably keep my choice. If I win a car, I win a car. If I win a goat, huzzah! I won a goat.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2012, 12:29:20 pm »

I'd probably want a goat more than a car, honestly.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2012, 12:30:38 pm »

You cant milk a car.
This is a blank sig.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2012, 12:31:11 pm »

Well I was assuming that I wanted the car more, based on the wording of the puzzle.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2012, 12:32:14 pm »

Well this is quite wacky. I see how it works on the math angle, though.

*muses*

The reason it works is the revealed door will never be one you picked. As such, if you pick a goat door, the other goat gets eliminated. If you pick the car door, there's still 1 goat left.

The instances where it is in your favor to switch are when you picked a goat door. If you initially picked the car door, you're still at a 50/50 chance to get it by switching (as far as you can tell). However, if you picked a goat door initially (which you have a 2/3 chance of doing), you will ALWAYS win by switching. Thus, switching is in your favor.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2012, 12:32:34 pm »

Well the solution is to swap, assuming you take home the car (a classic major prize in game shows, the goat is a placeholder for losing).

2/3 times your first choice was a goat. Then, the host gets rid of the other goat, meaning that you're guaranteed to get the car by swapping. 1/3 times you DID pick the car, and get a goat by swapping, but overall the odds are better to swap.

The "50/50" line was a red herring, since you picked out of 3 to start with.

This is actually an example of how humans are awful at processing even simple probability questions. This one stumped maths professors at major colleges when it was first proposed and they refused to accept the answer. We have the benefit of wikipedia now though.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 12:42:08 pm by Reelya »

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2012, 12:34:57 pm »

I'd stick with my door. I know about
but whatever. I've never been a fan of the mathematical branch of probability.

The "50/50" line was a red herring, since you picked out of 3 to start with.
If you make another completely random choice, disregarding all previous information, there is a 50/50 probability.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2012, 12:37:07 pm »

You don't have to do that in this case, because picking again at random loses information that was encoded in the actions of the host. The door that the host reveals is modified based on what door you picked, and what the host knows is behind the doors.

The fact that the coded information exists is evident in that you have a 2/3 chance of profiting by swapping. That's why the 50/50 line is a red herring.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 12:38:54 pm by Reelya »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2012, 12:38:08 pm »

A similar problem that demonstrates human fallibility concerning probability is the Birthday Paradox, which shows that any group of 23 has a 50% chance of containing two individuals with the same birthday and any group of 53 a 99% chance of the same, despite there being 365 days to be born on.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10