Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: About Sparing  (Read 4441 times)

Urist McKoga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
About Sparing
« on: October 12, 2012, 08:26:58 pm »

In my current fort, i started in a untamed conifer forest. Started with One Miner/Mechanic, Miner/Medic, Mason/Stonecrafter,Grower/Brewer,Cook/Manager/Trader and 2 Axe Dwarfs. I bring enough cassiterite and copper nuggets to make 2 full bronze set.
I put 3 points in figther, 3 in axe, 2 in shield and 2 in armor user. After a non-stop sparing/hunting/training, i just ended with a 2 High master Axes, Novice Dodgers, 2 Legendary Fighter(one is +1), Adequate/Novice striker, Skilled Armor and Expert Shield User. No danger rooms, only good barracks, good food for enough moral for a 1 year duty. Is normal to end with a legendary Fighter after only a year? Why i ended with Skilled Armor and Expert shield?Why this discrepancy? Anyone know a bet set of starting military skills?

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
Re: About Sparing
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 08:31:03 pm »

If I recall correctly, if two soldiers are of equal or similar level in skill of the same weapon, they will spar more often and gain more experience from the sparring.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

parlor_tricks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://noyb
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 08:36:21 pm »

Sparing? We don't spare anyone! Spear them!

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 09:11:02 pm »

Sparing is undwarvenly. If there are enemies left after the siege, it's because they're being shipped off to the arena.

Which btw is what I use for training my military. Nothing quite like one-sided combat to train for combat!
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Urist McKoga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 10:21:16 pm »

If I recall correctly, if two soldiers are of equal or similar level in skill of the same weapon, they will spar more often and gain more experience from the sparring.

Like i said, i embarked with same skills. In the end of the year they have almost same skills, i just wanted to know why fighter and axe skills is so high compared to armor and shield.

I started another fortress, just to see how a balanced soldier (2 points in Sword/Fighter/Armor/Shield/Dodger) do training all year (maybe doing some elephant hunting =P)

Delioth

• Bay Watcher
  • Mass Gauntlet Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 10:58:31 pm »

I put 3 points in figther, 3 in axe, 2 in shield and 2 in armor user. After a non-stop sparing/hunting/training, i just ended with a 2 High master Axes, Novice Dodgers, 2 Legendary Fighter(one is +1), Adequate/Novice striker, Skilled Armor and Expert Shield User.

I just wanted to know why fighter and axe skills is so high compared to armor and shield.

The fighter is so high because it raises with anything combat related (I.E. all that axe-using, dodging, using armor and shields, etc)

The axe is probably so high because of the fact that it started higher, so the dwarves in question would have a higher chance to bat the attack aside with the axe, and also because they aren't just defending with it, they're attacking too.

On a side note, NO sparing of any kind is allowed here. Sparring, on the other hand, is okay. But sparing is definitely not allowed*.

*Bypassed if your reason to let a single elf leave your fortress after you kill them and pillage their caravan is so that they can go tell their civilization to go to war with you.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 11:02:10 pm by Delioth »
Help us write a story!
We're currently setting the scene and world- characters, civilizations, flora/fauna, cities, places, anything setting!
Products of my Boredom (Old)
Quote from: Shawtay
Delioth, you sir, are a wonderful, wonderful person.
When in doubt, Apply Magma

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 11:03:32 pm »

Every attack you make trains axe-user.
Every attack you take goes into one and only one of dodger, armor user, or shield user.
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

darkgloomie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2012, 04:34:52 am »

Every attack you make trains axe-user.
Every attack you take goes into one and only one of dodger, armor user, or shield user.
unless you block with your weapon, in which case it would train the weapon, in this case axe-user.

Urist McKoga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2012, 06:41:06 am »

Thank you guys. I just have a lot of fun hunting elephants with my Legendary Fighters/Axelord. In fact, one of them cut off his ear, causing bleed to death.
So is better to put all points in single defense mode?So with high stats, is more likely to all xp go to a single skill? If the advantage of being user armor is being fast, i think it's better to put the points in Dodger/Shield.

Btw, going to make a gladiator arena, going to put some captured goblins against my new wave of imigrants(7 slaves recruits with no useful skills)
I'll give armor/weapons with the same material goblins. If the recruits won, wait for more goblins. If the goblins are winners, put them to fight against my Axelord/Commander of the army of Rome Enôrlibash. Too bad I have no titan/megabest to put in the middle of the arena.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 06:52:28 am by Urist McKoga »

darkgloomie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2012, 07:33:10 am »

So is better to put all points in single defense mode?So with high stats, is more likely to all xp go to a single skill? If the advantage of being user armor is being fast, i think it's better to put the points in Dodger/Shield.

Btw, going to make a gladiator arena, going to put some captured goblins against my new wave of imigrants(7 slaves recruits with no useful skills)
I'll give armor/weapons with the same material goblins. If the recruits won, wait for more goblins. If the goblins are winners, put them to fight against my Axelord/Commander of the army of Rome Enôrlibash. Too bad I have no titan/megabest to put in the middle of the arena.
the advantage of Armor User is that they don't move slower than turtles when wearing armor, therefore anything they're hunting won't manage to outspeed them and get away. Or snipe them from afar since they're too slow to come close enough.

Though since it can easily be trained even by wearing clothes, yeah it's secondary to shield user or dodger.

As for the arena, have you thought about a way to periodically flood it? It could be worth it to weed out the losers ;)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2012, 10:43:31 am »

Shear them!
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2012, 11:23:29 am »

Shear them!
Smear them! Which actually happened once when it started raining elf blood on one of my fortresses. Armok clearly blessed them.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2012, 02:02:03 pm »

Shear them!
Smear them! Which actually happened once when it started raining elf blood on one of my fortresses. Armok clearly blessed them.
In the spirit of the upcoming changes: Pear them!
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2012, 06:27:10 am »

Shear them!
No, these are Dwarves. Rear them!

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2012, 09:49:32 am »

Shear them!
No, these are Dwarves. Rear them!

Shouldn't your forges be hard at work, Gearing them?
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!
Pages: [1] 2 3