Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Accidentally refused Diplomat's Barony promotion, also zombees  (Read 4038 times)

oxmont

• Escaped Lunatic
  • [D_FOR_DAMMIT]
    • View Profile
Accidentally refused Diplomat's Barony promotion, also zombees
« on: October 12, 2012, 06:47:26 pm »

Hello! I queried this forum with "diplomat" and "diplomat undo" and the like, and could not find any posts which dealt with this.

Like all of you, I have seen many fortresses end in gory learning experiences. Each time I embark, I swear that THIS fortress will be The One... or at least, it won't have the same cause of death as the last ones. One of the lessons I've learned is that you should always make sure that your designated noble's preferences do not include things which are a pain in the ass to manufacture. All too quickly (three years, actually), my fort had exported like 120,000 zorkmids in unicorn brain roasts, and thus our 200-year-old vampire king sought to reward our success with a feudal title.

I totally wasn't prepared for this, as I hadn't made a list of good presidential candidates, so I made the terribly, terribly wrong assumption that refusing the mountainhome diplomat's advances now would just mean he'd come back next year and see if I'd changed my mind.

After I did that, I paused the game, read the diplomat article on the wiki, and haven't advanced a single frame beyond that. This fortress, which I lovingly named Candyland, is doing so well! I don't want its success to be forever marred by my stupidity (like every other fortress)! I didn't know that refusing the promotion would forever end diplomatic relations with my homeland.

Is there any way I can fix this? Can I edit a game file, or kill the diplomat before he has a chance to report to the mothership?

Also, I know this has been exhaustively discussed before, but:

If vermin could be resurrected, this would generate zombees every time a living bee sacrificed itself to sting the necromancer, yes? And the zombees could be vented into the overworld using a chimney with a floor hatch as a shutoff valve? A beehatch, if you will?
Zombees sound impractical and as damaging to your dwarves as the enemy.
That is the best justification for anything.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Accidentally refused Diplomat's Barony promotion, also zombees
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 06:57:43 pm »

I totally wasn't prepared for this, as I hadn't made a list of good presidential candidates, so I made the terribly, terribly wrong assumption that refusing the mountainhome diplomat's advances now would just mean he'd come back next year and see if I'd changed my mind.

I'm pretty sure that I did the same thing by accident and the Liasion just came back next year and offered again.

Far as resurrecting vermin goes, not a clue there.

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 07:08:48 pm »

Somehow thoughts of diplomats and resurrecting vermin fit well together.
I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.
I don't know if you need other ideas when you have magma.

Captain Willy

• Bay Watcher
  • I like rum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 07:23:39 pm »

Lol you actual mean Bees, that is awesome.

megahelmet

• Bay Watcher
  • *casts* Meteo!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 07:37:06 pm »

He'll offer you the title again next time he comes. I'll refuse the offer the first time if I don't have a good candidate picked out. Last time I chose by blind like I ended up with a baron who loved aluminum....ugh.
Pylons on fire can stay, its awesome.

Seraphim342

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Cum Laude
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 07:40:34 pm »

At least they can't love Slade anymore.  Gotta love Slade Mug mandates >.<
I like to think that on the other side of the world a human is walking on the beach, notices the water level suddenly drop twenty feet, and whispers "fucking dwarves."

"The cows seem to lose bowel control when launched... I consider this a feature."

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 07:52:33 pm »

Zombees sound impractical and as damaging to your dwarves as the enemy. I'd approve, but it would do almost nil to either! That said...if vermin shells can be raised, why not whole vermin?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2012, 07:55:33 pm »

He'll offer you the title again next time he comes. I'll refuse the offer the first time if I don't have a good candidate picked out. Last time I chose by blind like I ended up with a baron who loved aluminum....ugh.

Just build a bedroom for your noble that allows for !ACCIDENTS!.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2012, 08:01:01 pm »

Only body parts that can [GRASP] will be resurrected. Vermin can't grasp as far as I know.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2012, 08:06:47 pm »

Only body parts that can [GRASP] will be resurrected. Vermin can't grasp as far as I know.
Also [HEAD] body parts.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

oxmont

• Escaped Lunatic
  • [D_FOR_DAMMIT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2012, 08:10:52 pm »

He'll offer you the title again next time he comes.
I'm pretty sure that I did the same thing by accident and the Liasion just came back next year and offered again.
WHEW. Thanks, guys, the wiki made it sound like the repercussions were permanent.

Also [HEAD] body parts.
That is correct.

This is boneheaded caveman logic, from a guy who has never modded DF, but... would editing the raws and assigning a [GRASP] or [HEAD] token to vermin remains enable zombees? Or would vermin remains have to be reclassified as body parts and then assigned one of those tokens?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2012, 08:47:01 pm »

I'd approve, but it would do almost nil to either!
To answer your question, no it wouldn't work, as vermin remains are simply non-animatable, just like meat.
Sig

Berossus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2012, 06:02:32 am »

Can you store bees in a barrel, load the barrel into a catapult and launch the B-bomb into a pack of invaders?
My son, many speak of the honor in war.
My preferred method is to wait until their back is turned, then impale them with a pike held by someone else.
Preferrably from a distance.

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2012, 08:14:21 am »

How do you manage to get an offering?
I checked the wiki, but it says "20 dwarves", which it seems a little strange.
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!
My fucking armok, you broke the game.

AndreaReina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2012, 10:13:00 am »

The wiki lists the requirements as 20 citizens, 100k created wealth, and 10k exported wealth. Your created wealth is listed in the z-menu (don't know what it's actually called, haha) as long as you have a broker with the Appraise skill. Exported wealth can be checked on the (c)ivilization menu, choose the dwarf civ and it will tell you how much you've exported to the mountainhome.