Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10

Author Topic: A bay12 lower boards IRC.  (Read 14307 times)

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
Re: A bay12 lower boards IRC.
« Reply #60 on: October 12, 2012, 09:43:49 pm »

Well, that seemed to go to shit rather quickly. Hopefully it stops doing that.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 12, 2012, 09:44:07 pm »

All of that I apologize for, as I was definitely shirking my duties. I do feel your reaction was overblown, but had I paid attention to the private messages it might not of come to that.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 12, 2012, 09:46:32 pm »

I don't recall any anti-intellectualism...

It's a general attitude kind of thing.
Love, scriver~

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 12, 2012, 09:48:43 pm »

Wait, are you really saying people are being put down for being smart, or are you just saying people are acting "stupid"?

The childish and memes thing I'll agree with (though I might not actually consider "childish" bad, assuming you mean "children like" and not "self centered jerkass").
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 12, 2012, 09:53:44 pm »

Well... I'm glad I left when I did, I guess. I don't handle drama that well.
Nothing important here, move along.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 12, 2012, 09:54:21 pm »

It's all over with, so come on baaaack. :D

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 12, 2012, 11:13:13 pm »

I don't mean "ban disrespect" in an authoritarian sense. Disrespect me all you like. I can take it. Just respect the other users.

This is easily abused and twisted into "if someone else does something awful or stupid, don't call them out on it because that would be disrespectful". Just saying.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 12, 2012, 11:15:20 pm »

Well, honestly they shouldn't. They should get a mod to do something about it. People have moderation powers for a reason.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 12, 2012, 11:18:29 pm »

Well, this is going much better. Huzzah to the fixers.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 12, 2012, 11:29:17 pm »

Well, honestly they shouldn't. They should get a mod to do something about it. People have moderation powers for a reason.

This is an incredibly condescending way to handle moderation, and it never actually works well. You need to let people disagree sometimes. You're essentially saying it's a bad thing for anyone to disagree with anyone else's behavior vocally, and that handling that should be left up to moderators instead. What are the users then, children who can't possibly hash out their own problems? People will disagree sometimes, or argue, and not every matter of conflict is the sort of thing you bring to a moderation board to check it against ~THE RULES~. By saying people should never actually tell someone else "hey, maybe you shouldn't do that", or "hey, I don't like what you did there", or "hey, I disagree because <x>, <y>, and <z>", you're stifling productive conversation in an attempt to create some kind of utopian hugbox that can't actually exist. Sometimes people have problems with each other, and it's much more effective to let them actually work through it themselves rather than have someone step in and take sides.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 11:33:28 pm by G-Flex »
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 12, 2012, 11:32:49 pm »

Well they can settle their disagreements civilly, or in another channel.

Who exactly do you hang around with where this sort of thing is a common issue? I'm new to IRC specifically, but not internet groups. No place I've ever willingfully associated myself with has had much of a problem with drama, and the few that have solved it by getting rid of the drama queens.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 12, 2012, 11:37:18 pm »

Trying too hard to be as drama-free as possible is one of the surest ways to create drama. Once you start overreacting to the slightest amount of disagreement, argument, personality clash between users, and other minor personal conflict, you create an atmosphere of tension where nothing gets resolved.

Yeah, if people aren't being civil, telling them to cool it down is one thing, but stopping people from disagreeing with each other or arguing in the first place is counterproductive to good discussion. It doesn't help.

I've been in plenty of IRC channels, and I've definitely seen cases of both overmoderation and undermoderation. You can't let people get away with egregiously bad behavior, but you also can't micromanage the discussion, or prevent people from talking about stuff either, even if that stuff is sometimes not very fun or involves a bit of conflict. Conflict is part of socialization. It's normal.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 11:40:02 pm by G-Flex »

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 12, 2012, 11:39:56 pm »

There is a difference between allowing disagreement, and allowing personal insults and the like. Good debates are founded on respect, for the other person (Although not neccesarily their ideals). Civility is key, and early today there was no civility.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 12, 2012, 11:40:42 pm »

Well I'll stick to what's tried and true for me, which are my first two rules: No assholes, no hypersensitives. Two sides of the same drama queen coin. Both just trying to assert superiority.

I'm not banning "conflict" as you define it. I'm banning the above two behaviors. Anyone who can't abide is likely to cause a hell of a lot of problems, and isn't worth my time.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 12, 2012, 11:41:47 pm »

... How do you even define who's "hypersensitive"? Different people care about different things to different degrees and for different reasons, often good reasons.

And to be perfectly honest, I'm not sure how you have a "tried and true" method of moderation if you're completely new to IRC.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10