Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Mommy has gone stark raving mad but won't admit it  (Read 3004 times)

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
Mommy has gone stark raving mad but won't admit it
« on: October 12, 2012, 03:24:40 pm »

I had a woman dorf in my military, Sarvesh the Potter.
One day, she was injured by skeletal troglodytes and rendered unconscious, while her child (who she carried with her) was killed. (she was part of the backup military and thus was not properly armored)
After she was brought to the infirmary and fixed up, she stood there continuously cancelling her "seek infant" job because the infant wasn't available.
Eventually she started to dehydrate to death, so out of pity, I told her (or rather her squad) to go stand around in the graveyard in hopes that she find some closure. At that point she did finally move away from her bed in the hospital (she hadn't moved a bunch), and at that point I learned that she actually had NOT been fixed up: she still needed sutures, a cast, and a crutch, and had been refusing treatment until she could find her child. So she crawled down the central stairway... and down past the cemetary, toward the caverns.
She won't eat or drink despite that she's dying of both, she won't go to her child even if I point her right at the corpse, and she won't let herself get fixed up in the hospital.

When she's in active military service, she tries to crawl down to the caverns.
When she's in civilian mode, she stands (or rather, lies) perfectly still, pining for her unavailable child.

What do I do  :'(

EDIT: after letting her crawl down into the caverns, she realized she was dying of sobriety and went to get a friggin' drink; now she's collecting her equipment, I guess. Still tracking her.
EDIT2: I'm having trouble diagnosing this dwarf's sanity. After regathering her gear, she got a drink, visited the hospital and was given a crutch and a band-aid, and then she went to man her post like a drunk dorf should. She's apparently a fully functional military dorf again; as a civilian, she's still troubled. She isn't continuously failing to Seek Infant anymore, but she seems to have dulled reflexes (even more so than the other drunks). It took her four days to realize she was hungry, and during that time she didn't exactly jump to her metalworking.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 03:37:25 pm by shoruke »
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Gamerboy4life

• Bay Watcher
  • Helicopegasus
    • View Profile
Re: Mommy has gone stark raving mad but won't admit it
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 03:28:22 pm »

This is depressing.
I need to put something interesting here.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 03:29:38 pm »

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=2468

The last person to post in that thread had something similar.  A reload from save appeared to help the mother realize that her infant was gone.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 03:41:29 pm »

And... she's recovered. Holy cow, whatever the brewers have been putting into the wine is the good stuff.

Still kind of a freaky bug though. Normally there's an announcement when dwarves go crazy; this was a bit meta.
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 03:45:10 pm »

In these situations I would just deconstruct the coffin, set a garbage zone in the mother's bedroom and dump the kid's skeleton.
(and the remove the zone and forbid the corpse.)

It may not fix the problem but atleast it would offer some amusement. (And the mother could sleep in the same bed as her child once more.)
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 05:19:18 pm »

she seems to have dulled reflexes (even more so than the other drunks). It took her four days to realize she was hungry, and during that time she didn't exactly jump to her metalworking.
Dwarves who are on crutches and have no crutch-walking skill are slow. She'll improve, until either the crutch becomes unecessary or she reaches Legendary and moves just as fast as an uninjured dwarf. Possibly faster, as Crutch-Walking is a skill which trains Agility, and she's practicing it every time she moves.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 06:13:43 pm »

In these situations I would just deconstruct the coffin, set a garbage zone in the mother's bedroom and dump the kid's skeleton.

It may not fix the problem but atleast it would offer some amusement. (And the mother could sleep in the same bed as her child once more.)
You should seek professional help.

BillyTheKid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2012, 06:30:42 pm »

yes, this is just downright sloppy.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2012, 06:41:14 pm »

I came here and started reading this just after watching this video. So while I started out in quite a good mood, the sad-guitar version of the Moonlight Sonata was still playing in my head through the whole thing. Wow, depressing. I'm gonna go watch the video again.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2012, 07:48:12 pm »

Hmm.

Lets see here. Dumping her in Magma would solve the cancellation spam, but would waste valuable gear...

Unjustly convicting her might lead to a long jail sentence instead of execution, which she may survive...

Letting her live isn't ethical, she must be put out of her misery...
Application of upright spikes to the head might not work, cause she may dodge...

Leaving her at a siege wouldn't work, she might Depress the gobbos,..

Final Verdict: Toss her down a deep well. Around 25 z levels without armor should do her in. And, if she somehow survives, She'll Still Drown!
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2012, 07:53:07 pm »

The problem was solved.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2012, 08:11:53 pm »

The problem was solved.
Well good. I can ony hope it involved copious amounts of socks applied directly to the dwarven forehead.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

darkgloomie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2012, 04:32:41 am »

The problem was solved.
Well good. I can ony hope it involved copious amounts of socks applied directly to the dwarven forehead.
not really, apparently she just got so drunk she forgot she had a child. Or something.
yes, this is just downright sloppy.
Urge... to... sig... this... rising...

Zivilin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Science Division
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2012, 05:01:47 am »

I came here and started reading this just after watching this video. So while I started out in quite a good mood, the sad-guitar version of the Moonlight Sonata was still playing in my head through the whole thing. Wow, depressing. I'm gonna go watch the video again.

Thank You, I have discovered that I like playing the guitar version of the Moonlight Sonata in the background when playing Dwarf Fortress! I don;t know why, it just gives off an... Endless-labour-of-a-somber-nation sort of vibe. Like the original soundtrack. In fact, It vaguely reminds me of the original soundtrack.
No signature

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2012, 07:40:28 am »

This makes me seem like a bad person.
What has happened to the Bay12 community? Is tormenting those little hairy drunkards no longer considered "dwarven" and praiseworthy?
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist
Pages: [1] 2