Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trading routes  (Read 770 times)

oggimog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Trading routes
« on: October 12, 2012, 12:43:16 pm »

Hi, this is maybe a bigger thing to do. But since there should be more interaction with your surrounding in future.
How would it be if there were some kind of preferred traveling routes where you can embark like on a river. When you embark on such a location, more merchants want to travel through your map and even armies or maybe some traveling heroes, moving between cities so you can set up taverns, or block the rout and collect taxes.
These routes could also be more dangerous, since you got more merchants. I think it would give reason to build cool big walls or castles and some protected passage.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Trading routes
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 03:45:05 pm »

This makes sense. I tried to start a community fortress where I settled on a road to collect tolls; I'd like to actually be able to do that in the future.

I wouldn't make it a big toll--just a metal bar or something--but I would enforce it with a road-flooding trap and some axedwarves.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 04:21:09 pm »

I like the idea. It'd give a definite goal to a fortress, instead of the usual crush-kill-destroy-magma-restart-repeat.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Bytyan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 08:07:28 pm »

It seems like a natural expansion of the current racial access system. The oposite should also be true; Settling in a secluded area should attract less hostility in exchange for less migrants, and less caravans bringing less goods for higher prices. Maybe laying down a road connecting two hubs through your fortress could change the dynamic, if you are able to defend it.

oggimog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 06:00:55 am »

Yes, makes sense. Maybe you could even connect yourself to the traderouts later, when you have enough wealth.