Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Danger room breaking limps  (Read 1927 times)

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Danger room breaking limps
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2012, 05:20:07 pm »

I feel like a proper three tile danger room (one active, one internal door, one statue) is absolutely an exploit, but justifiable for the sake of megaprojects and newbishness.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2012, 05:32:39 pm »

I use danger rooms. They are quite unbalanced no matter what you do. Even if you can ensure 75% lethality you still get, 2.5 elite dwarves for every ten you put in. And with ten spears per trap it only takes a couple minutes to get two nearly invulnerable dwarves and a legendary crutch-walker. But I see them not as a cheat, but rather an imaginative use of the in-game physics. It's your choice whether you want to use them, nerf them, or pretend like they don't exist.
I'd li,e half of a legendary elite dwarf...
That was random, sorry.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Seraphim342

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Cum Laude
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2012, 05:43:46 pm »

I've stopped using them since they're pretty cheap overall, but I might use one now that I'm planning an evil embark surface megaproject fortress... I expect a very high turnover rate on my military dwarves >.<

When I did build them though, I would have them be a 5x5 room with only one spear on each trap.  Took a couple months to train each dwarf that way, even with them all hooked up to a lever on auto-repeat.  10 spears quantum-training a dwarf seems excessive. 

As far as being an exploit goes, the same could be said for having a couple squads of marksdwarves shooting an iron-clad master goobo with featherwood bolts all day.  Plus, at this stage of development I think it's a little early to start throwing the e-word around.  Features!
I like to think that on the other side of the world a human is walking on the beach, notices the water level suddenly drop twenty feet, and whispers "fucking dwarves."

"The cows seem to lose bowel control when launched... I consider this a feature."

ExecratedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2012, 05:53:36 pm »

Yea, I totally agree with Seraphim. If it's in the game, it's a feature. It's dwarfish steroids. Complete with roid rage when an Axelord mom loses one of her spawn from a spear to the brain. And for the OP, I suggest cloaks. It'll cause your trainees to gain armor user skill slower but you won't lose dwarves to infections from a broken ear.

And GWG: Just knock an elite dwarf unconscious on top of a disc trap. They'll lose either the top or bottom half of their body. Just make sure you train kicking so you won't be screwed if just the bottom half makes it.

Seraphim342

• Bay Watcher
  • Magma Cum Laude
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2012, 07:10:40 pm »

Yea, I totally agree with Seraphim. If it's in the game, it's a feature. It's dwarfish steroids. Complete with roid rage when an Axelord mom loses one of her spawn from a spear to the brain. And for the OP, I suggest cloaks. It'll cause your trainees to gain armor user skill slower but you won't lose dwarves to infections from a broken ear.

And GWG: Just knock an elite dwarf unconscious on top of a disc trap. They'll lose either the top or bottom half of their body. Just make sure you train kicking so you won't be screwed if just the bottom half makes it.

Ridiculous.  Everyone knows the lower half of a dwarf can't survive on its own.  After all, their beards are their thinking organs.  Unless they have another beard... down there...
I like to think that on the other side of the world a human is walking on the beach, notices the water level suddenly drop twenty feet, and whispers "fucking dwarves."

"The cows seem to lose bowel control when launched... I consider this a feature."

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2012, 07:11:46 pm »

Ridiculous.  Everyone knows the lower half of a dwarf can't survive on its own.  After all, their beards are their thinking organs.  Unless they have another beard... down there...

What if they had a kitten in their pocket?
I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.
I don't know if you need other ideas when you have magma.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2012, 07:45:47 pm »

Actually, given the way injuries are set up ATM, the upper body can't be severed from the lower, only the other way around. It's a bit moot, though, as either way the dwarf dies instantly.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

ExecratedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2012, 08:07:43 pm »

Actually, given the way injuries are set up ATM, the upper body can't be severed from the lower, only the other way around. It's a bit moot, though, as either way the dwarf dies instantly.

You, sir, have crushed my dreams of having a military made entirely of legs!

megahelmet

• Bay Watcher
  • *casts* Meteo!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2012, 10:02:16 pm »

You, sir, have crushed my dreams of having a military made entirely of legs!
Dwarven centipede?
Pylons on fire can stay, its awesome.
Pages: 1 [2]