Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 36

Author Topic: Roll to Raptor: Turn 31 - Where the Buffalo Roam  (Read 68398 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Raptor - Turn 25: Leviathans
« Reply #450 on: December 15, 2012, 12:28:05 am »

E-east? I-uhh...Alright...if that's your decision Hooktoe. But East sounds a lot more like their direction than Strider's direction. Moonfang said, gesturing towards the bigger-than-us creatures.

Follow Hooktoe!

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #451 on: December 15, 2012, 11:52:18 am »

((Serious, do you want to keep trying to follow Charlie's trail, or just go Eastward generaly?

Also Hanslanda I take it you're going with them instead of just standing around being vigilant? :D ))

((I meant one of the big creatures, not the biggest one I could see.
Ah, well.))
Acknowledge Ironhide's request, but stay hidden, and attack anything that moves to interfere with his attack

((Oh I see. well transferring to Ironhide's target won't be a problem. You're not far off, just sorta on the other side of that little group of them.)
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: December 15, 2012, 12:09:02 pm »

(Even though OOC I know it might be a bad idea, I'm going to keep following Charlie's trail since - until the smell makes it obvious - Hooktoe doesn't know he's dead.)
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: December 15, 2012, 12:43:24 pm »

Also Hanslanda I take it you're going with them instead of just standing around being vigilant? :D ))

((Yes. Sorry, I wasn't able to get on yesterday, extenuating circumstances. And monday might be another day like that. If we come to a situation where I don't get on, just assume I kind of follow the group, and if I don't post anything for more than a couple days, you can retire Ripmaw for a time and let someone else have a go. My personal situation could involve... A long time spent away.))
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #454 on: December 15, 2012, 01:56:37 pm »

((@Serious, gotcha.

@Hanslanda, ok that's no problem at all. I hope if it's some sort of problem everything works out ok for you and yours.

@Everyone, I can't remeber if I ever mentioned this, but I put the NPC list and Bestiary in post #2 on the first page, so you guys can refer to it at need.

Turn this weekend some time, not sure when exactly. I've got a my parents anniversary party tonight and I'm going to see The Hobbit tomorrow, but I'll get one in if possible.))
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: December 16, 2012, 11:25:54 pm »

Yay!  I'm dead!   :P
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
Roll to Raptor - Turn 26: Over Hill And Dale
« Reply #456 on: December 17, 2012, 07:07:02 pm »

((Ok, didn't get to finish the turn on the weekend, and I had a pile of work this morning but here it is... Btw The Hobbit movie was very good.))

Turn 26: Over Hill and Dale

Quote from: Highleap
Volunteer to track this time

Highleap trots up front with Hooktoe and picks up Charlie's trail (Sense 5, 4). She guides the party well.

"Wow... imagine if we took one of those guys down! We could feed a clan that's, um... a lot bigger than ours for a long time!" Hooktoe said, watching the large creatures for a moment. The reality was that they couldn't, but that still didn't stop a little wishful thinking. "Sure would be nice. I bet Dad would be impressed." He sighed wistfully. "I hear ya, Moonfang. Let's keep heading east." Hooktoe whistled to get Highleap's attention and started walking again.

You easily pick Charlie's trail back up (Sense 6). Busy with tracking as you are you have little attention to spare on the wider surroudings so you trust the others to watch your back.  You lose it for a bit here but Highleap picks up the slack and you can continue (Sense 1). At length, after going through woods and accross a few streams the trail leads right up the side of a mountain. A bit of the way up the slope some sort of creatures start squaking at you.

E-east? I-uhh...Alright...if that's your decision Hooktoe. But East sounds a lot more like their direction than Strider's direction. Moonfang said, gesturing towards the bigger-than-us creatures.

Follow Hooktoe!

(Sense 2, 2) ((Read Hanslanda's turn you see basically the same stuff.))

Ripmaw stifled a growl at Highleap's comment, his poor senses being quite a sore subject, and instead focused on watching his surroundings for hidden creatures and possible amushers as he followed Hooktoe.

Ripmaw is being vigilant. Or at least as vigilant as he can be.

(Sense 2-1, Sense 3-1) Beyond the general terrain you don't notice anything particularly interesting. You follow the others down the wooded hillside and into the valley. Down here it's a bit like the terrain you crossed to get to the battleground. Clear of trees, with a stream running through it near the middle. Up the hill on the other side the dense woods resume.

After a while in the woods you emerge in a valley of sorts. Before you in a low area before the mountains is a wide area of mixed forest and sandy bits and low hills. It takes some time to cross this.

The trail leads right up the side of a mountain. A bit of the way up the slope some sort of creatures start squaking at you.

((All told you've traveled about 8 miles this turn.))

----------------------

Get the others' attention, then attack the smaller one.

The hadrosaurs nearby are very upset by the emergence of the longmaw. They are momentarily distracted, but on the other hand their complacency is shattered and they are becoming more alert. There probably won't be a better time to attack than this. Already as you watch they start turning to move away from the water and grouping closer together. This is your chance.

(Ambush bonus roll: 3. Halve, round up. 2 bonus to attack, damage)

You call out to the others as you strike. The hadrosaur you picked was small compared to the others, maybe about 2 tons. (Cunning 3+1+2 vs 4. Damage 3+2) Darting forward you rip into the flesh of it's right rear leg. It's a very solid strike and you do considerable damage before it notices you and reacts. It starts to turn toward you when Rainstriker runs up and distracts it.

[Small Hadrosaur has an impaired right rear leg and is bleeding 1/10. This animal is quadrepedal, but puts most of it's weight on the rear legs.]

((I meant one of the big creatures, not the biggest one I could see.
Ah, well.))
Acknowledge Ironhide's request, but stay hidden, and attack anything that moves to interfere with his attack

(Hadro Sense Rolls: 4, 2, 2, 1)
(Stealth: 5+1+1)

Staying hidden, or at least unoticed for the next few seconds isn't a problem. The thrashing of the tenotosaur in the jaws of the longmaw is drawing the attention of pretty much everything.  It's probably only a matter of seconds though until your companion's attack is noticed by the nearby herbivores. (Cunning 1) You wonder how they'll react.

You slide away from the full grown hadrosaur you are close to toward the rather smaller one Ironhide is now tackling. As you approach you see Rainstriker and Songcall running up to help. Rainstriker gets there first and harrasses it from the front, apparently trying to keep it's attention away from Ironhide who is assulting it from the rear.

You are fairly close now and for the moment unseen. [You can get an Ambush bonus vs the Small Hadro next turn]

Quote from: Songcall & Rainstriker
Close in on Ironhide's Target.

(Luck 3, 4) They both break hiding and run in to assist. Rainstriker makes it in time to help this turn. She sprints straight toward it's head. (Attack 3 vs 4) She doesn't land a strike but dancing around in front of it's nose does seem to draw it's attention.

[Small Hadro. Turn]
The Hadrosaur aborts it's turn toward Ironhide and lurches forward toward toward Rainstriker. (Attack 5 vs 6+1) She scrambles out of the way, swiping at it's nose in passing but she misses. (Counter 1 vs 6)

At A Glance:

Eastward Hunters tracked Charlie few a few miles and are now being yelled at by something(s).
Northward Hunters are attacking a small Hadrosaur by the lake.

It's about 15:00 in the evening. It's getting darker. ((Eastward Hunters are 30 minutes ahead.))
The wind is blowing from the NE and it's cloudy.

No one is injured significantly.

No one is very tired or hungry though you are burning energy traveling and fighting.

Creatures you're aware of:

Northern Group: 4 Hadrosaurs nearby. Assorted other herbivores in the area. Giant Crocodile in the area.
Northern combatants: [Small Hadrosaur has an impaired right rear leg and is bleeding 1/10. This animal is quadrepedal, but puts most of it's weight on the rear legs.]

Eastern Group: ???

Spoiler: Party Condition (click to show/hide)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Raptor - Turn 26: Over Hill And Dale
« Reply #457 on: December 17, 2012, 07:57:57 pm »

"Keep the attack up! Fresh meat's on the menu once more!"

Continue the attack.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: December 17, 2012, 08:45:40 pm »

Hooktoe immediately looked around for the squawking creature. It sounded like food, and if it was small enough to be killed by four hunters and dumb enough to be yelling at them, that's what it was going to be.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: December 18, 2012, 05:02:50 am »

Leap at small Hadrosaur from behind.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: December 18, 2012, 09:56:54 am »

Ripmaw hissed softly to himself, and peered around, trying to find out what was squawking at them.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: December 18, 2012, 12:48:00 pm »

Squawking isn't a good thing. I think we're being warned we're on another's territory. It certainly smells like so, I guess.

Look around for any probable ambushers, or any aerial ambushers given the case. Call out that we're just passing by.

If my allies find and know that the situation is peaceful, continue the hunt in the scent of that Charlie!

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
Roll to Raptor: Turn 27: Claws: Nature's Crampons
« Reply #462 on: December 19, 2012, 12:36:48 am »

Roll to Raptor: Turn 27: Claws: Nature's Crampons
aka Colon Cancer

Leap at small Hadrosaur from behind.

(Ambush Bonus: 3)
(Attack 5+3 vs 3. Damage 1+3) With a savage cry you leap onto the small hadrosaur and climb up it's side using your claws.  (Cunning 4) You did little direct damage to the thick flesh of it's side, but on the other hand you now have access to parts of it's body the others can't reach from the ground.

Quote from: Rainstriker
Keep it's attention

(Cunning 5 vs 4. Damage 3) Rainstriker darts in and out under it's nose snapping and hissing, succeeding in keeping it's full attention for a while longer despite the other Hunter's antics.

[Small Hadro Turn] It again lunges forward trying to bowl her over but she escapes unharmed. (Attack 2 vs 3+1) (Counter 3 vs 2. Damage 2) This time she manages to scratch it's foreleg a little but it doesn't seem to do much.

Quote from: Large Hadrosaur
Complain about Hunter's treatment of kin. Strongly worded letter to follow.

The others seem reluctant to get involved but one of the larger hadrosaurs makes an attempt to drive the Hunters away from the smaller one. It gets it's considerable bulk up to fairly impressive speed and gallops toward Rainstriker. Fortunately the ear splitting bellow it makes on the way gives her a little warning. (Attack 2 vs 1+1. Null. Luck 2) She dodges nimbly out of the way and it overshoots. It will take it a few seconds to turn around. [Large Hadro loses initiative next turn]

"Keep the attack up! Fresh meat's on the menu once more!"

Continue the attack.

With no particular goal in mind you strike at it's closest body part, it's long stiff tail. (Attack 4-1 vs 4. Miss.) Your foot catches on a root and you fall short of getting your claws into it.

((My attack choices tend toward the arbitrary if you don't specify.))

Quote from: Songcall
Copy role model.

Little Songcall tries to injure one of the small hadro's legs like she saw Ironhide do a few seconds ago. (Attack 1 vs 3) (Counter 3 vs 6) But she skitters back out of the way to avoid injury as it stamps and struggles.

Quote from: Longmaw
Nomnomnom

Most of you probably don't notice in character but there is a lot of thrashing from the lake as the giant Longmaw death-rolls to tear it's victim into swallow-able chunks.

Norther Hunter Summary:

Longmaw is eating.
A big hadrosaur came to the defense of the small one.
Rainstriker is dancing around being really distracting.
Krakjaw is inventing rodeo.
Ironhide and Songcall missed.

Combatants:
[Small Hadrosaur has an impaired right rear leg and is bleeding 1/10.]
[Large Hadrosaur overshot and loses inniciative.]

Fauna In The Area:

2 other Hadrosaurs nearby; a few more further off.
A bunch of Tenontosaurus scattered around.
A gaint longmaw in the lake.

-------------------

Hooktoe immediately looked around for the squawking creature. It sounded like food, and if it was small enough to be killed by four hunters and dumb enough to be yelling at them, that's what it was going to be.

(Sense 5) The source of the food noises is quickly apparent when you life your nose from the ground and look about for them. On the slope about 50 yards ahead are about 5 Snatchers. It's really rather embarasing that none of you smelled them before now.

They continue scolding in a manner that reminds you a bit of the way some smallwings have an annoying habbit of doing when they spot you on the prowl.

Ripmaw hissed softly to himself, and peered around, trying to find out what was squawking at them.

(Sense 6-1) A moment or two of glancing in all directions reveals the source. Up the hill a ways there appear to be a party of Snatchers. It's a bit hard to tell with your fuzzy vision combined with scent and sound you are pretty sure there are 5 of them.

Squawking isn't a good thing. I think we're being warned we're on another's territory. It certainly smells like so, I guess.

Look around for any probable ambushers, or any aerial ambushers given the case. Call out that we're just passing by.

If my allies find and know that the situation is peaceful, continue the hunt in the scent of that Charlie!

(Sense 1) Despite the noise they're making you have trouble locating the creatures. Fortunately Hooktoe points them out to you. It appears to be a hunting party of Snatchers. Your declaration of peaceful intent had no obvious effect on their scolding. (Cunning 6) They're either spoiling for a fight, feel secure, or have something to defend.

You can't find it right now but judging from the direction of Charlie's trail for the last few miles it probably goes right past where they are standing. You experimentally walk a few paces forward and the scolding turns into a howl.

Quote from: Highleap
Find a good hiding place and hide in it until we know what's going on.

Highleap ducks smoothly behind the nearest tree when the chattering starts. She isn't naturally stealthy, but she's clever (Cunning 6+1) and slithers along in a clump of bromeliads to distance herself from her previous position. (Stealth 4-1)

[Highleap is Hiding and gains a stealth bonus next turn.]

Eastern Summary:

You found the noisemakers, a small group of Snatchers.
Ironhide is trying diplomacy but it's not clear if they care.
Highleap is coming up with a contingency plan?

----------------------

General Summary:

Eastern Hunters are about 12 miles NE of Nesthome on a lightly wooded mountainside.
Northern Hunters are about 2 miles North of Nesthome near a lake.
It's about 15:00 in the evening. It's getting darker. ((Eastward Hunters are 30 minutes ahead.))
The wind is blowing from the NE and it's cloudy. Was that a raindrop?

No one is injured.
No one is very tired or hungry though you are burning energy traveling and fighting.

Spoiler: Party Condition (click to show/hide)

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Raptor: Turn 27: Claws: Nature's Crampons
« Reply #463 on: December 19, 2012, 02:19:45 am »

Hooktoe decided to try talking to them. "Hey, losers. Have you seen one of our kind around here? We're kinda looking for him. And hunting. We might eat you if you don't answer me."

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Raptor: Turn 27: Claws: Nature's Crampons
« Reply #464 on: December 19, 2012, 04:38:13 am »

Violently hack the hadrosaur's slightly-more-vulnerable upper bits.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 36