Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 36

Author Topic: Roll to Raptor: Turn 31 - Where the Buffalo Roam  (Read 68432 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Raptor - Turn 19: What happened to the goat?
« Reply #300 on: November 17, 2012, 01:04:35 pm »

Yeah...Not likely...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #301 on: November 17, 2012, 03:00:09 pm »

(( Can the third snatcher see me?))

The safe bet is that it either already has or will at the start of next turn.

GM: How many hatchlings are there, and are there any eggs?

((How many raptors TOTAL are there, as well? :P Swarm attack! But more realisticly, if it's really interested in the snatchers, we could just let it take the corpses, or some of use distract it and lure it away from the camp. Maybe into the lake and have it fight some giant crocs.))

Good questions. I'm going to leave this a little vauge for a variety of reasons.

There are no eggs to worry about right now. About 10 mothers bred resulting in little swarms of hatchlings about 4 inches high. They are ambulatory, but not fast or very sensible. They'll follow a parent, and can be herded to some extent.

There are about 40 individuals that are either adult or older youth that are learning to hunt.

In character no one's quite sure how many ankle biters hatched this season. They're hard to count and there's a cultural disinclination to try because the infant mortality rate is shocking and no one wants to really think about it. They're fed and cared for as a group, but many parents don't even name them in the first year. If they're in the 20% that make it they get a name when they start showing some personality.
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: November 18, 2012, 08:07:29 am »

Flee to the safety of the boulder!  Any tactical advantage is welcome.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: November 18, 2012, 08:19:00 am »

Herd the children towards safety while also running myself!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 03:06:35 pm by GreatWyrmGold »
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: November 18, 2012, 01:41:02 pm »

Herd the children towards the safe boulder while also running myself!

((Charlie is the one near the safe boulder. We should just herd the little 'uns 'away' from the Acro. Also, how fast roughly is a Great One? I'm guessing those long legs means pretty fast, but are we faster than it?))

Keep looking toward the Great One, and make a threat display, but slowly back up and be ready to flee if it charges or attacks.
Ripmaw tried not to let fear show as he spread his arms and showed his fangs, hoping the Great One wasn't in the hunting mood, and would be content to just wander off without harming anyone. But Ripmaw was quite prepared to duck or dash off at the first sign of aggression from the monstrous predator, no Hunter would be quite suicidal enough to attack one so large by himself.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
Roll to Raptor - Turn 20a: King of The Hill
« Reply #305 on: November 18, 2012, 07:19:55 pm »

Flee to the safety of the boulder!  Any tactical advantage is welcome.

Initiative: Charlie, S2, S3

Charlie alters course slightly toward the boulder. (Luck 4) He reaches it and climbs up before the closest Snatcher can catch him. He is now perched on a fairly flat section on top of the rock, it's about 6 feet across and he is roughly 8 feet off the ground.

[Charlie Gains +2 Defense vs any Snatchers not on the rock with him (Giving him a net +1). If a Snatcher makes a successful attack it can stand on the rock too if there is room.]

Snatcher 2 tries to climb up and attack (Attack 5-1 vs 4-1+2. Miss) but Charlie snaps at it and it slips back down. Snatcher3 saw the chase and comes over, also trying to climb the rock. (2-1 vs 5-1+2) (Counter 1 vs 5-1. Miss) but he scares that one back down too.

They both stand below glaring upward with mounting anger. Charlie spares a second to look around. Snatch1 is no longer in sight. Charlie isn't entirely happy about that. (Cunning 4+1) If it went away it might bring back others.

At A Glance:

Charlie has taken refuge on top of a rock.
Charlie burned 2 Stamina this turn leaving him at 32
There are currently 2 Snatchers at the foot of his rock.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 11:40:36 am by Joben »
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Raptor - Turn 20a: King of the Hill
« Reply #306 on: November 19, 2012, 02:17:24 am »

If the snatchers try to assume opposite ends of the boulder, leap onto one of them, the smaller one.  Smash him with a jump attack. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
Roll to Raptor - Turn 20b: qui tacet consentire videtur
« Reply #307 on: November 20, 2012, 01:01:35 am »

If the snatchers try to assume opposite ends of the boulder, leap onto one of them, the smaller one.  Smash him with a jump attack. 

((Combat turns for one are easy to run, lets progress this a little. lol also i resisted the temptation to have them do something else, but climbing at the same time is probably what they'd try.))

Snatcher2, Charlie, Snatcher3

Snatcher2 two looks up at Chalie and and warbles something to it's companion. They dart around for a bit before picking different sides and starting up at the same time. Charlie looks back and forth between the pair before picking #3 and leaping on it. (Attack 5 vs 3-1. Damage 1) Unfortunately he misjudges his leap somewhat and hits it's tail instead of it's body. It's knocked off balance but not seriously harmed. It swings around and tries to grab Charlie but it's off balance and falls over. (Attack 2-1 vs 2-1. Null. Luck 1) Snatcher2 meanwhile has climbed the rock and is looking down on the fight.

[Snatcher3 is Prone and is slightly scratched and bruised]
Charlie was not hit and remains at 60% Health.
He burned 2 Stamina leaving him at 30/100.
It's about 13:00 for Charlie.

--------------------------------------

Herd the children towards the safe boulder while also running myself!

((Charlie is the one near the safe boulder. We should just herd the little 'uns 'away' from the Acro. Also, how fast roughly is a Great One? I'm guessing those long legs means pretty fast, but are we faster than it?))

Keep looking toward the Great One, and make a threat display, but slowly back up and be ready to flee if it charges or attacks.
Ripmaw tried not to let fear show as he spread his arms and showed his fangs, hoping the Great One wasn't in the hunting mood, and would be content to just wander off without harming anyone. But Ripmaw was quite prepared to duck or dash off at the first sign of aggression from the monstrous predator, no Hunter would be quite suicidal enough to attack one so large by himself.

((Scientists argue about the max movement speed of creatures like this a lot. I've picked something for gamplay purposes, but you guys don't know it. It does indeed have a long stride length though, that much is clear.))

You back away while hissing. The Great One looks over and takes a few long steps in your direction and snaps it's jaws. When it gets within a few of it's body lengths you decide this backing slowly plan won't do. You skitter out of the way and resume keeping an eye on it and telling it how much you disprove of it's existence from a safer distance. It has rather startling acceleration for something so large. It doesn't pay you any more attention and walks into Nesthome.

((See Great One "Turn" below))

Herd the children towards safety while also running myself!

Most of the juveniles that tagged along with you have already run. Ironhide encourages the couple that remained to get out of the way and runs back into camp with them while hooting a warning call. Nearby mothers start calling their chicks and backing away from the danger. Some adults, including Hooktoe and Moonfang come up and you tell them what's coming and why you think it's here as best you can in a few seconds.

Hey Hooktoe...Do you think what I'm thinking?

Moonfang looked in the direction of what she was thinking - what that disturbance was.

I sense a disturbance...Heehee

Check on what that thing is!

Wearily you get up to see what the problem is. A herd of youngsters come running past shrieking about some sort of monster. Ironhide is on their heels and explains there is a huge predator coming. This explanation is hardly necessary because it heaves itself into view. It's not the largest creature you've ever seen, but it's certainly the biggest with teeth and claws like that.

Hooktoe looked in the same direction Moonfang did. "Sure. I'll be right behind you," he said, waiting for her to advance and then following her path - but sticking quietly to the shadows.

You tag along with Moonfang. Ironhide shows up all flustered and starts talking about a giant sharptooth and something about a trail but you arn't really listening. You trot off to the tree line to get out of the open. The beast causing all this consternation is rather impressive. Wow you wish you had jaws like that!

Quote from: Great One
Haha lookit the tiny Hunters! Take their food!

The Great One walks into the clearing and pauses to look around at all the Hunters. Parents gather their chicks move away. A few youngsters with more courage than brains start approaching it but Ironhide and others explain that it is not a foolish prey animal and make them stay back while everyone decides what to do.

The Great One regards the line of adult hunters closest to it with displeasure and lets forth a mighty bellow. It's very loud and the gaping maw is impressive. Many of those watching take an involuntary step backward. It starts toward the Snatcher corpses and picking up a haunch swallows it whole. It looks at the crowd of Hunters for a moment again so see if there are any objections then starts looking for another large piece of meat. A general murmur of discontent is heard from the pack.

At A Glance:

It's about 12:15
Wind shifts to blowing from the North.

A Great One is in yer home eatin yer foods.
The Pack is arranged nearby watching it.

Spoiler: Party Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: November 20, 2012, 03:12:11 am »

((*Buys Joben some bug fixing software*))

Strider had watched the Great One stomping toward the camp with something like defiance, after rising wearily from his too short rest. He had coordinate the escape, and waited until the others evacuated before he left himself, holding his ground as the beast came closer and closer. Though they would wisely retreat from such a threat, it was important to show they weren't afraid of them all the same. Finally, he gave a sniff of disdain and casually gave way to the larger predator. It was important to keep up appearances in the clan.

Now, he stood with the others and ticked to himself helplessly, angry at having his nap ruined by the oafish Great One. He remained busy though, calming the young, foolish hotheads from rushing to their doom. He was half surprised Hooktoe wasn't already in the Great Ones belly, since he was young, foolish, hotheaded and prone to rushing his opponents.

There was nothing to do be done about it but hope he would leave them alone once he was finished. There was a little bitter satisfaction, in that the Great One wouldn't find much of a meal here. There was hardly anything left anyway.

Strider would have to talk to the others later about moving the camp, or at least their hunting area. If they had stumbled on a Great Ones territory or his hunting trail, they would get no peace from the admittedly large nuisance.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 04:44:32 am by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: November 20, 2012, 08:40:29 am »

((Gotta love them 504s :P))

Oh...oh great...there goes our food...Hey Strider- anyone? What is that thing called? I've heard of it...but I've never seen it in vision. Moonfang whistled in a low tone as she regarded The Great One in awe.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: November 20, 2012, 09:23:32 am »

Strider turned aside to Moonfang, after nudging a clueless newborn who was about to wander under the Great Ones feet back to his mother.

"We call that the 'Great One'-the name has many meanings. Great Strength and Power. Great Bringer of Death. Great Warrior and Destroyer. A Great pain in my..."

*cough*

"Ahem. It is certainly thankfully rare...he will take what he wants and move on, most likely-though if he likes this spot, he may not let us return. Or he may, to steal our next meal. Such a large Hunter must eat much more than we do-but he will not bother to attack us unless he is feeling particularly unctuous. Or if someone bothers him.

...I do remember when I was about Hooktoes age, and I saw my first Great One. I spied her drinking from the river, and walked up to her and asked 'How did you get so large, and could I see you open your mouth that wide again?'. I was an inquisitive young eggling back then, and luckily for me, it made her laugh more than it made her hungry.

Frankly, not nearly all of them are that well-natured. You'd be wise to keep your distance. Soon you will understand the balance of life, young Moonfang-it gives, and it takes away. It adds...and subtracts. The trick is trying to be on the right side of the equation, when you can help it."

« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 09:49:45 am by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: November 20, 2012, 03:50:56 pm »

Moonfang pondered on the wisdom as-said-by-Strider as she stared at one swaying patch of grass in the breeze. She easily understood his words, but the meaning...did she get what it really meant?

So this ones out for food...we didn't bring in much...

A thought clicked in her head...It would probably still be hungry...

The Hatchlings!

Get the pack away from This Great One!

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: November 20, 2012, 04:03:47 pm »

Hooktoe followed Moonfang, hoping to help her with whatever it was she was going off to do.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: November 20, 2012, 04:59:54 pm »

Ironhide mutters to the other members of the pack. "We got a meal, that's all we needed from those Snatchers. We gain little and risk all if we oppose the Great One."

Step back. Try to bring any little ones foolish enough to approach back with me. Hope the Great One heads out after finishing its meal.
Sig

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: November 20, 2012, 07:09:48 pm »

If the snatcher on the boulder is just watching, quickly rend the jugular of the prone snatcher.

If the snatcher on the boulder looks like he's gonna jump, sidestep so he'll land on his partner.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 36