Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 36

Author Topic: Roll to Raptor: Turn 31 - Where the Buffalo Roam  (Read 68485 times)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Raptor - Turn 9: Cretaceous Combat
« Reply #135 on: October 29, 2012, 05:14:29 pm »

Action: Assist Hooktoe in the bullrushing and/or clawing biting viciously
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 29, 2012, 05:55:18 pm »

Toss one Snatcher at the other or something clever like that.
Shriek to draw more Snatchers to me.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 29, 2012, 10:17:23 pm »

Charlie ambushes the snatchers attacking Ironhide.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 29, 2012, 10:43:31 pm »

Attempt demoralization through our signature call.

Then leap from the snatcher I just incapacitated to aid any of the nearest allies with their own, unhurt Snatcher. If none are seen, then aim for the least non-incapacitated one.

> Preferably aiming to maim other than straightly killing.

You will not kill our young any more!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 11:43:16 pm by Tiruin »

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #139 on: October 29, 2012, 11:01:01 pm »

Charlie ambushes the snatchers attacking Ironhide.

Mini-turn to use up Charlie's second action.

You cover the fairly short distance between you and the Snatchers fighting Ironhide quickly. Unfortunately they don't seem particularly surprised by your ambush attempt. (Cunning 2+1 vs 4-1 no bonus) Arbitrarily you pick Snatcher4 as your target. Your first lunge goes poorly (Attack 2 vs 5-1) The Snatcher whirls to face you checking your movement with it's shoulder (Counter 6-1 vs 4-1) (Cunning 4-1, Damage 6) A split second later you bounce off a tree and then hit the ground. That's probably going to hurt, but you decide to worry about that after you figure out which way Up is.

[Charlie is prone(-2 Defense) and 85/90 HP]

((And we have our first PC injury...))
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #140 on: October 29, 2012, 11:33:20 pm »

This is an awesome plan. I'm not sure it's possible. But it's awesome. I don't think I ever thought about dinosaur wrestling before...
I may be missunderstanding raptor physiology but I don't think they're set up to literally bodily pick up and throw something nearly their own weight the way a strong human can. But I'm sure she can attempt something with a similar effect.

I've been a bit unsatified with the way Cunning rolls determined area hit, (in actual turns and in experiments on my own). The mechanic just wasn't flowing, it was hard to write for and unintuitive for the players. This puts the cap on it. I want more stuff like you just said.

Everyone feel extra free to go into detail about your attacks. If it's tricky I'll still roll Cunning to see if your raptor can figure out how to make it work, but I am revoking the called shot rule introduced earlier. Pick your own specific targets and if you want to pounce, claw, grab, bite, kick, shove, headbutt, trip, tailstrike etc. :D
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 30, 2012, 04:21:23 am »

((So do I post another turn?))
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #142 on: October 30, 2012, 10:43:31 am »

((So do I post another turn?))

Yes.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 30, 2012, 03:06:06 pm »

This is an awesome plan. I'm not sure it's possible. But it's awesome. I don't think I ever thought about dinosaur wrestling before...
I may be missunderstanding raptor physiology but I don't think they're set up to literally bodily pick up and throw something nearly their own weight the way a strong human can. But I'm sure she can attempt something with a similar effect.

I've been a bit unsatified with the way Cunning rolls determined area hit, (in actual turns and in experiments on my own). The mechanic just wasn't flowing, it was hard to write for and unintuitive for the players. This puts the cap on it. I want more stuff like you just said.

Everyone feel extra free to go into detail about your attacks. If it's tricky I'll still roll Cunning to see if your raptor can figure out how to make it work, but I am revoking the called shot rule introduced earlier. Pick your own specific targets and if you want to pounce, claw, grab, bite, kick, shove, headbutt, trip, tailstrike etc. :D
Glad I'm being inspirational.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 30, 2012, 04:14:53 pm »

Get up, tackle a snatcher, pin him to the ground and rip his throat out!
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
Roll to Raptor - Turn 10: Dinosaur Judo
« Reply #145 on: October 31, 2012, 01:09:06 pm »

Initiative Order: Charlie , Snatcher4, Ironhide, Snatcher5

Charlie comes charging out of the bushes, and after a minor setback has one of your foes pinned. It no longer seems like a good idea to knock one into the other so you just try to knock over Snatcher5. You dart forward and (Cunning 2+1 vs 2-1 Success) shove your shoulders underneath it and rear upward flipping the Snatcher over your body (Damage 5). It lands with a thump and out of the corner of your eye you see it's head bounce off the ground. You roar in triumph hoping to draw attention (Cunning 2+1) but there is no apparent result.

[Snatcher5 is prone and Dazed (loses initiative next turn) and has a sprained forearm]

Get up, tackle a snatcher, pin him to the ground and rip his throat out!

You get up with remarkable speed and and again rush at the one that struck you. (Attack 4 vs 4-1) It's a close thing but you manage to lunge and make contact with the Snatcher you try to knock it over (Cunning 4+1 Success!) (Damage 1) Unfortunately it's struggles keep you from doing more damage.

[Snatcher4 Turn] It struggles, attempting to break your hold and get up. (Cunning 1 vs 3+1 Fail) When it can't it tries to bite your leg. (Attack 1-1 vs 4-1 Fail) You kick it in the teeth in response (Counter 1 vs 1-1 Success) but the blow is at an awkward angle and has no real power behind it (Damage 2).

[Snatcher4 is Prone, pinned by Charlie]

-------------------------------

Initiative: Tepin, Snatcher2, Snatcher3
Quote from: Tepin NPC
Kick something

Tepin kicks at Snatcher2. (Attack 2+1 vs 3-1 Tie, no result, no counter)
Snatcher 2 bites Tepin's arm. (Attack 5-1 vs 1-1) (Damage 1) it doesn't get a good grip though and he slips away. Snatcher 3 tries to bite his neck (Attack 5-1 vs 4-1) (Damage5) It's small teeth rip away a chunk of skin and fascia.

--------------------------------

Initiative: Snatcher Lead 6, Strider 5+1, Moonfang 5 Hooktoe 5-1, Snatcher6 4, Snatcher7

Quote from: Snatcher1 Lead
Ambush something

(Stealth 1+1+2=4) (Cunning 2+1)
Snatcher Leader stats: +1 Stealth

One of the Hunters is standing on top of one of yours mauling him horribly. This seems like the best target. ((Ambush attempt here ad-hocked as Cunning+Stealth vs Cunning + Sense))

(Ambush 4+3 vs 1+2 Success more than 2x Snatcher attack auto-success) (Damage 5) You charge out of the undergrowth taking her completely by surprise. ((See Moongfang turn for results))

Action: Assist Hooktoe in the bullrushing and/or clawing biting viciously

See Hooktoe turn for coordinated action.

Hooktoe attempts to bull #6 down and claw/bite him viciously.

Hooktoe rushes forward with Strider a few steps behind. Hooktoe tries a straight tackle to knock over the target with pure strength (3+1 vs 4-1 Null) (Luck 6) The Snatcher is staggered by this attempt though leaving it open to Strider. (Cunning 1+1+1 vs 1-1) It's a rather sloppy takedown in Strider's estimation but it works. The end result is stil your pack leader standing on the target's neck. (Damage 5)

[Snatcher6 Turn] This one is aggressive and rather than attempting to escape right away it claws frantically at Strider (Attack 2-1 vs 5) Strider is thoroughly unimpressed and digs his claws in a little deeper (Counter 4-1+2 vs 1-1) (Damage 1)

[Snatcher6 is Prone, Pinned and bleeding from claw punctures]

Attempt demoralization through our signature call.

Then leap from the snatcher I just incapacitated to aid any of the nearest allies with their own, unhurt Snatcher. If none are seen, then aim for the least non-incapacitated one.

> Preferably aiming to maim other than straightly killing.

You will not kill our young any more!

Your cry is cut short by the fact that you are suddenly the exact opposite situation to that of a few seconds ago. A Snatcher is standing on you and your side hurts a lot.

You manage to break the Snatcher's grip and roll out from under it(Cunning 6 vs 4) It manages to not lose it's footing while you do this. (Snatcher Luck 4).

[Moonfang is Prone and 95/110 HP]

Quote from: Snatcher 7
Try not to die

The boss rescues you allowing you to rise shakily to your feet and stumble slowly in the direction of the one who hurt you.

[Snatcher7 is no longer Prone, still severely injured]

At a Glance:

Tepin (NPC) is getting hurt.
Moongfang got slammed hard but recovered.
Hooketoe and Strider have pinned their target.
Charlie and Ironhide have the upper hand at the moment.
Snatcher Lead has revealed his presence.

No one is very seriously hurt yet.
Everyone is getting a bit tired.
Everyone is still fairly well fed.
It's still morning (Turns up to now have only been about 5 minutes long at most, and the combat ones only a few seconds each.)
Wind shifts rather suddenly to NW and picks up.

((Btw, because tracking persistent injuries would be a pain (ha!) you guys have hitpoints. Your foes though take Dwarf Fortress style damage with disable-able/removable anatomy and such))

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Raptor - Turn 10: Dinosaur Judo
« Reply #146 on: October 31, 2012, 01:20:12 pm »

The red-pump beats a little faster, before it stops. This one is done, he just doesn't know it yet...

Strider slammed his toe-claw into the Striders face, then dug his claws into it's back-trying to flip it over. He ignored the growing ache in his tired lungs and old muscles, just let them envigor his anger. Where did those come from? How did he get to live so long? Hah!

He hooted eagerly for his son Hooktoe to strike the vulnerable neck or belly. He would relish sharing a kin with his eggborn...if the fool boy listened to him for once.

Action: Continue tearing it apart-try to flip it over so Hooktoe can do more damage.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 31, 2012, 06:56:15 pm »

Rip dat snatcher's throat out!
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 31, 2012, 07:16:29 pm »

If possible, go attack the Snatcher on Moonfang.
If not, kill/attack any Snatchers who are stopping me.
Sig

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 31, 2012, 10:08:51 pm »

Heat.

Pain.

Survival.

Moonfang could feel the meaning of these words course through her body, seeing the many attackers around her and their ruthlessness. She caught the smell of blood - and this wasn't the blood of their prey.

They were fighting back.

Shift to the side and then claw the Snatcher's vitals after trying to unbalance it!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 36