Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 36

Author Topic: Roll to Raptor: Turn 31 - Where the Buffalo Roam  (Read 68492 times)

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Raptor - Turn 7: Are We There Yet?
« Reply #120 on: October 21, 2012, 11:56:46 am »

((Ok, I think that's 4 PCs going east toward the movement at a Jog. Just need to hear from Dwar :)

I didn't expect you folks to keep up with the Snatchers this well. You rolled good the whole way with tracking and both groups of herbivores letting you past without a scuffle.

I THINK you're probably going to catch them next turn and get a fight.))

The pack has luck on their side apparently. :)
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 21, 2012, 12:30:46 pm »

Strider felt the wind change, and maneuvered the pack Eastwards, tasting the air...

Action: Jog along with the pack, sniffing the air
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #122 on: October 21, 2012, 05:17:22 pm »

I think the turn will be up tomorrow. I'm really tired and don't think I'll finish it tonight.

But here's a little something. The view is about 8 by 8 miles. This is roughly the area that your pack considers to be their territory.. So a general idea of what's out there would be In Character knowledge for most of you.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm gonna go put it in the OP for future reference.
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
Re: Roll to Raptor - Turn 8: Sharks vs Jets
« Reply #123 on: October 23, 2012, 11:24:50 am »

((I've altered the stealth modifiers to movement, mostly for Rule Of Fun. Jogging is now the neutral option.))

Spoiler: Rolls (click to show/hide)

For the IC Sauropelta name: How about something like Spikeback or Plate back?

As to actions: Suggest we head east, quietly. Both in the suggestion and the action.
If some others agree, head east.

Everyone seems to agree so you set off. You were right! After a few minutes jog your almost in fighting distance. Everyone starts to spread out a bit so if someone gets seen it won't blow everyone's cover at once. You end up on toward the left, Charlie and Tepin are nearest you.

Unfortunately someone down the line knocks over what sounds like a small tree, and Tepin yelps for some reason. You happen to be in a patch of sunlight when the Snatchers look back. One of them spots you. (Stealth 2)

Their nests must surely be in open field, Moonfang continued, most likely similar to our own, I guess. I've never seen how Snatchers live up close...

I think we should follow where Ironhide said.

Eastwards!

No one seems to have a better idea, so you all head in the direction Ironhide indicated. Fairly quickly it becomes obvious this was a good idea. You all follow the Snatchers down the valley and into the woods beyond.  Unfortunately as you're getting close you brush a dead branch with the tip of your tail and it falls over with a loud crackling noise (Stealth 1-1). The Snatchers ahead whirl around and start in your direction. They seem upset.

Hooktoe nodded to the suggestions. Anything that ended with him killing a Snatcher was a plan he was bang alongside with. ~Just watch, I'm going to get three of them by the end of the day,~ he bragged at no one in particular.

Eagerly you go with the others hoping to gain more glory in battle. After a few minutes walk your prey is at hand. You and the others start slowly spreading from single file to side by side. You can see a few of them ahead! Some of the others make really embarrassing amounts of noise. You're too awesome for that though. You are the night. Even though it's daytime. (Stealth 3+1) You're on the right flank with Moongfang, who just knocked over a tree or something. The Snatchers notice...

Do what I do best, stay unnoticed, but always ready to strike.  Go along with the plan of the pack.

You go with the others, quiet and watchful as always trusting the others to set the course. After a few minutes Strider says you are getting close and you spread out ready for a fight.  You're on the left flank of your group, Ironhide is near you. Some of your companions are rather not very stealthy and there are angry noise from up ahead. But you can't see them at the moment, on the plus side you're quite sure you haven't been seen yet either.  (Sense 1, Stealth 5+1)

Strider felt the wind change, and maneuvered the pack Eastwards, tasting the air...

Action: Jog along with the pack, sniffing the air

The shifting breeze brings no particular distant scents to you. The scent trail of the snatchers however is clear and strong suggesting there are indeed more Snatchers now in the group you are following, and that you are gaining on them. You lead the others down the valley and then into the woods at the end of it. You all manage to make it quite close to the Snatchers. The others spread out around you, leaving you in the middle with Tepin. Who has some sort of minor fit and yelps loudly. The Snatchers turn. You yourself peer out from around a tree and count six as they turn and approach your party. (Sense 3+1, Stealth 6)

Quote from: Tepin
Chase Snatchers

Almost there, just ahead, you can pratically taste them. You're in the middle of the skirmish line with Strider. A sudden sharp pain catches you completely off guard and you can't avoid yelping. Apparently you stepped on some sort of large stinging insect. (Stealth 1) Ouch.

Quote from: Snatcher Lead
Go Home.

Your quiet stroll through the woods is interupted by some sounds from the rear, clattering and crunching of undergrowth and a yelping noise. There appear to be 3 Hunters following. "How day they tresspass on our lands? They must be driven off or die." You chirp orders to send a couple Warriors to strike at each of the three Hunters you see.

At a Glance:

Spoiler: map (click to show/hide)

You've snuck up on some Snatchers.
They've definitely noticed Tepin, Ironhide and Moonfang.
Strider, Hooketoe and Charlie don't think they've been spotted.
Snatcher pack is ~50 yards off and advancing slowly toward the 3 hunters they see.

It is still morning.
The breeze continues from the North-NE.
Everyone is 8/10 full except Charlie and Tepin who are 7/10.
Everyone is at about 70/100 Stamina.
No one is hurt.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 11:40:43 am by Joben »
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 23, 2012, 11:29:51 am »

Moonfang quickly turned to signal Hooktoe with a whistle, I'll distract them! Strider must not be seen! She blinked before remembering her plans for the youngling.

I bet I can take out more of them than you can~!

Roar a challenge to the thieves! Then CHARGE [only if Hooktoe says no] Then CHARGE AS ONE [if yes]

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 24, 2012, 12:30:05 am »

Get into a position where I can cut of escape, sneakily.  If I do, strike!
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 24, 2012, 03:58:36 am »

~You're on...~ Hooktoe growled softly, keeping his eyes locked on what looked to be the weakest and smallest of the Snatchers. Without waiting for Moonfang's signal, Hooktoe charged at the Snatchers, aiming for one that looked easier to kill than the rest.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 24, 2012, 04:17:05 am »

Strider saw a pair of each coming toward the three hunters. They seemed confident with a perceived numerical advantage. Their mistake.

He slunk low-he had to protect his son.

Action: Attack alongside Hooktoe, being more stealthylike-make sure he doesn't get hurt, even if I have to take the attack myself.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #128 on: October 26, 2012, 10:34:49 am »

Page three? oh noes!

Just need an action from GreatWyrmGold.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 26, 2012, 11:57:38 am »

This will be exciting. I have a feeling this fight might be a little more undecided.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 26, 2012, 02:36:03 pm »

(On a side/ADHD-fueled note, that image is highly amusing to me for some reason. ^^^)
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 27, 2012, 08:05:13 pm »

Oops, forgot/didn't see.

Attack with the others.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #132 on: October 28, 2012, 03:07:17 am »

Working on the turn.

There wasn't really in character reason to Show The Work, but I want it to be known that work was done...for somre reason. The Snatchers didn't just show up where the plot demanded. They had a goal, and simplified IC turns out of sight.

Here's some inexplicable notes with numbers from the chase to keep track of when you might see them ahead of you.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
Roll to Raptor - Turn 9: Cretaceous Combat
« Reply #133 on: October 29, 2012, 04:49:05 pm »

All:

When you don't all back off the largest Snatcher shrieks loudly, the meaning is clear because the advancing pairs break into a run toward their separate targets. Snatchers 2 and 3 are heading for Tepin. 4, 5 for Ironhide, 6, 7 for Moonfang. Snatcher 1 barks some orders and then drops out of view of everyone. [Only Snatcher 1 is attempting any sort of stealth anymore, no checks required to see the others.]

Moonfang quickly turned to signal Hooktoe with a whistle, I'll distract them! Strider must not be seen! She blinked before remembering her plans for the youngling.

I bet I can take out more of them than you can~!

Roar a challenge to the thieves! Then CHARGE [only if Hooktoe says no] Then CHARGE AS ONE [if yes]

You coordinate with Hooktoe, he appears to have a target in mind. You see Strider moving forward too, you can't stop him, but you plan to make sure he doesn't take the brunt of the first clash. The Snatchers headed your way start running.

Hooktoe catches your eye from where he is under cover. You need to stop them close to him. You roar a challenge, arms spread, mouth open then charge. They don't seem particularly impressed by the display, but they are certainly looking at you. You leap at Snatcher 6, but it dodges easily (Attack 1+1 vs 5) and counterstrikes kicking at your side (Counter 4-1 vs 5+1) but you hop out of the way.

Snatcher 7 meanwhile has not been idle. It moves to your left flank and appears to be trying to push you over. (2-1 vs 3+1) It's really a pitiful effort. you kick it hard (Counter 3+1 vs 2-1) (Cunning 5, Damage 6) jamming your sickle claw into his side, the movement flows naturally from there and suddenly you are standing on top of your stumbling prey wildly flapping your arms for balance. Quickly you drop lower, grabbing with your front claws and tearing a bite from the Snatcher's shoulder. This is too much and it's legs buckle dropping it to the ground with a thump with you still securely on top. It shrieks in terror.

Apparently while you were doing this Hooktoe arrived and he's now fighting with #6

[Snatcher 7 is in pain, prone, being stood on. Punctured side, moderate lacerations. Torn right front shoulder muscle.]

Get into a position where I can cut of escape, sneakily.  If I do, strike!
Stealth (4+1+1=6) Sense 1

Before the fight even starts you're moving carefully further out and forward on the left flank. You can't see what's going on at first, but you go by your gut, and the various noises of angry creatures that are getting louder and closer. You are now slightly to the NE of the fight. You hide behind a tree and look at what's going on. You see 3 pairs of Snatchers.

Closest to you is Ironhide trading blows with a pair of Snatchers. Further down the line you can see Tepin fighting another pair, and the rest of the pack ganging up on the final two.

((You are not far from Ironhide, if you want to break cover and assist her you can do so and I'll process a combat action for you prior to the next full turn. Otherwise you will use your use a Minor Action to Hide better and wait.))

~You're on...~ Hooktoe growled softly, keeping his eyes locked on what looked to be the weakest and smallest of the Snatchers. Without waiting for Moonfang's signal, Hooktoe charged at the Snatchers, aiming for one that looked easier to kill than the rest.

There are two snatchers heading right toward Moonclaw, you signal that she should draw focus and you will strike. She does amazingly well, in a flurry of movement she is standing on top of a Snatcher. Wow. You alter your charge direction toward the one still standing.

You bursting from cover at full speed does not seem to startle it at all, but you still have the advantage of first strike.  There is an awkward and confusing tangle of attacks and you slam full body into the Snatcher (3+1 vs 5-1) (Strength 3+1) staggering it backward (Snatcher6 loses initiative next turn, giving you first strike again.)

Strider saw a pair of each coming toward the three hunters. They seemed confident with a perceived numerical advantage. Their mistake.

He slunk low-he had to protect his son.

Action: Attack alongside Hooktoe, being more stealthylike-make sure he doesn't get hurt, even if I have to take the attack myself.

(Initiative 17+1, Sense 6+1, Stealth 4)

You start forward with the youngsters, taking a bit more care to remain unseen by the Snatchers.  Some of them probably saw you, but not all. Everyone who may know you're here seems to have been engaged in combat. Not that it really matters, it seems Hooketoe needs help knocking down his target. (Attack 1-1 vs 4-1) Unfortunately you are not much help, your teeth snap shut on empty air. It counterstrikes snapping back at you (Counter 4-1 vs 6) but misses as well.

Oops, forgot/didn't see.

Attack with the others.

There are two Snatchers heading in your direction. I looks like the others are busy. 2v1 isn't great, but it is probably tactically useful to keep these two busy. Maybe you'll get lucky and disable one of them quickly...Where by the Gods did Charlie Get to?

You charge to attack, letting out a snarl to keep their attention as other fights break out to your right.  You leap at the closest one (Attack 2-1 vs 5-1) but it sidesteps deftly. It tries to bite your neck but you are having none of that nonsense (5-1 vs 6+1) and when it leaves itself open (Counter 5-1 vs 3-1) and you slash at it's nose with a fore-paw (Damage 1) but it's a poor hit and you only scratch it.

Snatcher5 meanwhile preparing to strike but seems rather flustered and doesn't come close to hitting you (1-1 vs 2+1). It's incompetence leaves it open but (Counter 3-1 vs 5-1) but your kick hits nothing but air. Well you're keeping them busy, and you are not hurt yet. This is what you'are suited to do. Be the body on the attack, the others are the claws.

Quote from: Tepin
Revenge!

They're gonna die, all of them. Two are headed right for you. Might has well start with them. You charge at maximum speed. The one on the left reacts quickly (4-1 vs 4-1) attempting to strike resulting in the two of you slamming together halting your movement and deflecting you off to the side. You just go along with that and strike at the second one. (Attack 6+1 vs 4) (Cunning 1) You slam into it, raking it's foreclaws and chest with your foreclaws.(Damage 5+1)  You think you injured it's hands somewhat. You bite down on it's right arm for extra damage. Something makes a slight crunch noise, and you pull away skin and some shreds of flesh in your teeth. Snatcher 2's hands and arms are a mess, and bleeding.

Quote from: Snatcher Mooks
Follow Orders: Kill/Drive Off Foes

You all charge at the enemy. They don't retreat so you have to fight. Crap.

Quote from: Snatcher Leader
Observe Battle. Sneak Attack anything giving us trouble.

(Sense 1, Stealth 6+1+1=8)
Two of the three pairs are doing ok, but something is wrong...there appear to be more than three Hunters and one group is outnumbered. You walk stealthily toward the fight. and Hide a few feet away waiting for the moment to strike. (+2 to next stealth roll + 1 to next Cunning roll)

At A Glance:

Moongfang is being awesome.
Hooktoe and Strider are helping.
Ironhide is fighting a pair of Snatchers.
Tepin is fighting a pair of Snatchers.
Charlie is being sneaky and requires player input.
Snatcher mooks are fighting.
Snatcher Lead is ambushing.

It is still morning.
The breeze continues from the North-NE.
Everyone is pretty well fed.
Everyone is at about 65/100 Stamina.
No one is hurt.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 04:56:55 pm by Joben »

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Raptor - Turn 9: Cretaceous Combat
« Reply #134 on: October 29, 2012, 05:02:10 pm »

Hooktoe attempts to bull #6 down and claw/bite him viciously.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 36