Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 36

Author Topic: Roll to Raptor: Turn 31 - Where the Buffalo Roam  (Read 68494 times)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Raptor - Turn 6: Chasing the Baby Snatchers
« Reply #105 on: October 18, 2012, 10:24:11 am »

((@Joben: I'm not exactly going to relish in it, but in terms of the story, there's no way around it. Life is pretty harsh!))

Strider thought a moment. This was almost a fruitless Hunt-they could never chase or kill enough Snatchers to make a difference-nor were they very filling. And the tribe was hungry for real meat.

...But there were different hungers than that of the belly. If the egglings didn't feel like they had taken their measure of revenge, they would be never be satisfied...but, he did not think the hatchlings were still alive, even if the younger ones seemed to have that idea.

"...we'll continue to hunt the Snatchers for now, but we'll have to pick up the pace. The sun skirts the sky and while we must have revenge, we must also feed the clan. Given a choice, I would take the second-but for now, we will take the first."

He turned to Tepin.

"If you are so eager for a blood vengeance, take point and track them. If we lose them, it is on you."

A clever ploy. If Tepin was acting out of blind rage, he would lose their scent-and abort this foolish game. If he was more resolute, perhaps the Hunt would be worth it after all.

Action: Order the group to move faster-Tepin takes point, but we both track. I just let him think he's got this under control-essentially, gauge him as a Hunter.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
Re: Roll to Raptor - Turn 6: Chasing the Baby Snatchers
« Reply #106 on: October 18, 2012, 05:38:04 pm »

((If you guys find a nest the younglings in question would probably sensibly bolt when a fight started. But it could come up in this world to some extent depending on how tactics, role-play and random rolls interact.

I think everyone has declared actions. I'll start on the turn soon. This one might take a while to write since there's at least 4 parties of creatures in the area.

edit btw, Tophat, your on the waiting list now.))
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 05:39:37 pm by Joben »
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

My RTD games: Roll To Raptor (On hold), Dino Arena

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
Roll to Raptor - Turn 7: Are we there yet?
« Reply #107 on: October 19, 2012, 11:51:22 am »

Breeze shifts, now blowing from North-NE.

Action: Order the group to move faster-Tepin takes point, but we both track. I just let him think he's got this under control-essentially, gauge him as a Hunter.

Despite already feeling weary of the affair you prepare the group to move out, calling Tepin up to the front with you. If he's coming along you want to keep an eye on him.

Follow Strider's plan. If possible, be the center of attraction in the attack to draw fire from the rest.

You patiently wait for Strider to make a decision. You look around at the others and notice Hooktoe is just waiting too but more impatiently. He's just standing there with Snatcher blood all over his face. He probably thinks it looks tough or something, but he's a mess and it's rather smelly. Silly boy, A Clean Hunter Is A Stealthy Hunter. You go over and clean him off.

Time to move. You fall into line with the others. Strider wants Tepin to take point, but you stay near the front to be quickly in any fight that erupts.

Wait if the others attack.  If they do, attack as well, from a different angle, to cut off escape.  If they dont attack...wait and see what happens next.

The others talk about what to do next, you are unconcerned. After a bit Strider says you're moving out after the Snatchers still, and avoiding the large herbivores for now. With nothing else on your agenda you go along.

"What the... ah, I see.
While following, locate some kind of leaf or something to wipe the blood off with so I can smell again.

While the others consider options you decide to do some much needed grooming. Hmm getting extensive amount of blood off your own face is hard. You follow the time honored method for the Hunter on the go and take a nice dirt bath. A few seconds rolling and rubbing in the dirt and leaves fixes you up nicely. When Strider calls you to move out you're ready to go.

~I'll help ya out. We gotta stick together and I think it'd be funny if the kids ate the Snatchers,~ Hooktoe whistled, somehow displaying the capacity for irony. He motioned with his head toward the trail, indicating that he was going to keep chasing their quarry. He then continued down the trail at a normal pace while trying to skirt around the Sauropelta and the Tenontosaurus.

Some of the others seem uncertain, but you are unshaken in your goal an push to keep following the Snatchers.  Moonfang comes over and cleans some caked blood off your face. What is with her? If you cared you could rub it in the dirt like Ironhide is doing.

ALL:

Strider says to move quickly after the Snatchers, avoiding the plant eaters for now. You form up single file. This is distinctly a travel formation, not a hunting net. Hopefully the plant eaters will appreciate the distinction.

(No one's Stealth total is >3 after movement speed modifiers. Sauropelta Sense rolls: 5-1, 2-1)

The scent trail goes relatively close to the Sauropelta ((anyone want to give these a IC name?)), and as you run in their direction one of them turns quickly to face you. It makes a loud coughing sound as you approach and bends it's front legs dipping it's head and shoulders close to the ground presenting a view of it's extensive set of plate and spikes. It's long tail swishing back and forth.  As you move it turns to keep facing you directly. It's smaller companion stays to the rear watching you carefully too.

There's a tricky moment when you're at your closest. It coughs again and lunges a few steps forward, but you all shy to the side and it seems satisfied. (Luck 4) You are quickly passed and increasing the distance between you. (Ironhide, (Sense 4) you look back when you're about 200 yards away and notice it is still facing you and maintaining it's threat display)

Spoiler: Tracking (click to show/hide)

The party comes to a a place where the grassland valley splits. Tepin falters confused by the varied scents at the crossroads, but Strider picks up the trail again and directs the party to the left fork, which leads North. ((New rule because otherwise rolling for it is pointless. Only two Hunters may track a single trail. With six rolling SOMEONE will crit it.))

The Tentosaurus you thought you smelled earlier are down this way. There are 3 individuals in your collective sight, 2 adults and a juvenile. Traveling in the open at a run you are spotted rather quickly. They trot to the side, and sheltering the smallest between them they watch you pass (Luck 6) and then heading west into the woods.

Spoiler: Tracking (click to show/hide)

Here the valley takes a sharp right turn. Strider and Tepin have their noses to the ground and seem confused. Did the trail just split? Tepin (Cunning 6) thinks more Snatchers joined up. They both agree that the trail is less than 5 minutes old. Ironhide insists she saw movement to the East. (Sense 5). If they're there it's too far for the rest of you to see clearly. (About 2/3 of the way down a 600 yard valley)

Situation At A Glance:

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

Tepin [NPC] is with you.
You all run along managing to avoid antagonizing the plant eaters.
Tepin and Strider are confused.
Ironhide thinks she sees something.

Location: ~1 mile north-east of Nesthome; small grassy valley.
It is very early morning.
The Breeze Shifts slightly to North-NE.

No one is hurt.
Everyone is Well Fed, Except Charlie and Tepin who are Slightly Hungry.
Party is at about 80/100 Stamina
Broken Arrow - A small stats tweak to fix unrealistically overpowered arrows and bolts.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Raptor - Turn 7: Are We There Yet?
« Reply #108 on: October 19, 2012, 12:13:34 pm »

The plot thickens. :D
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 19, 2012, 01:31:55 pm »

((They're watching us.))

Moonfang tilted her head in a gesture of contemplation. They can't have moved that fast with our young! Or...or are they using a decoy? Another kill of theirs?

Errkk, I'm unsure.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 19, 2012, 03:49:33 pm »

For the IC Sauropelta name: How about something like Spikeback or Plate back?

As to actions: Suggest we head east, quietly. Both in the suggestion and the action.
If some others agree, head east.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 19, 2012, 03:51:43 pm »

Their nests must surely be in open field, Moonfang continued, most likely similar to our own, I guess. I've never seen how Snatchers live up close...

I think we should follow where Ironhide said.

Eastwards!

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 19, 2012, 11:48:43 pm »

Hooktoe nodded to the suggestions. Anything that ended with him killing a Snatcher was a plan he was bang alongside with. ~Just watch, I'm going to get three of them by the end of the day,~ he bragged at no one in particular.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #113 on: October 20, 2012, 12:05:57 am »

((Please be sure to include either an explicit speed (walk/trot/run) in movement actions. It makes a difference in a chase ya know? :)

A conditional like 'keep pace with X" is ok too as long as one of you picks one.

btw I'm perfectly fine if you don't stay in one group, although it makes the turns easier to run if you're not ALL moving at different speeds.))

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 20, 2012, 03:29:28 am »

(I'll head at the same pace as everyone else, but if no one else suggests a different moving speed then we're all Jogging according to me. :P That way we can move fairly quickly and those of us with a +1 to stealth don't get a stealth penalty.)
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 20, 2012, 12:11:55 pm »

(I'll head at the same pace as everyone else, but if no one else suggests a different moving speed then we're all Jogging according to me. :P That way we can move fairly quickly and those of us with a +1 to stealth don't get a stealth penalty.)
Sounds good.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 20, 2012, 08:24:45 pm »

Do what I do best, stay unnoticed, but always ready to strike.  Go along with the plan of the pack.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 20, 2012, 10:43:16 pm »

((I'll just strut around then,  :P or failing that...jog.))

Joben

• Bay Watcher
  • Elder Thing
    • View Profile
    • Lazy Lizard Gear
« Reply #118 on: October 21, 2012, 11:40:05 am »

((Ok, I think that's 4 PCs going east toward the movement at a Jog. Just need to hear from Dwar :)

I didn't expect you folks to keep up with the Snatchers this well. You rolled good the whole way with tracking and both groups of herbivores letting you past without a scuffle.

I THINK you're probably going to catch them next turn and get a fight.))

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 21, 2012, 11:44:45 am »

Excellent. Less competition and more younglings.
Sig
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 36